aaa How to edit Performance? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: How to edit Performance?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             20-Aug-00  @  03:19 AM   -   How to edit Performance?

satori

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I've read the manual but no joy so far.
Manual starts with optimism. 'Editing Performances is very easy.' Yeah! Right!
I'm trying to change polyphony, tune etc
for existing Performances but all changes are applied to all Parts. One way I can do it is to select different MIDI Global channel on my sequencer and than I can change settings but because I'm on different MIDI channel, I can’t hear what I'm doing.
It’s an easier way to edit Performances?
Help!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             20-Aug-00  @  05:55 AM   -   RE: How to edit Performance?

Stefan

Link?:  No link

Hello Satori,

There are different kinds of performances in the SN memory.
Most of the factory performances are "layered types", means that several parts are on the same midi channel. If you play a note on that channel several arpeggios or sounds play at a time.
Now if you try to edit a part of that performance your sequencers midi through function sends the changes to all other parts on the same midi channel.
If you want to edit only one part you've gotta deactivate midi through in the sequencer (with the disadvantage that you can't play the SN via keyboard then) or you can temporarily deactivate the midi track in your sequencer by choosing a midi track with a channel number that is not used in the performance. Or you can activate an audio track of your sequencer during editing.
Or you can exchange your SN by the SN II where it is possible to inhibit the sending of prog changes to midi in the setup ;-)

Regards Stefan

Message 3/5             20-Aug-00  @  07:07 PM   -   RE: How to edit Performance?

satori

Many thanks Stefan!

Works. Easiest way would be to create extra MIDI channel near track where is your SN and when you want to make a change, change MIDI channel to unused one, make a change and immediately back to track with SN. It works for me.
Thanks again.

BTW. I was chasing ambient pads like Deep Forrest. I've made several in SN and they sound the best in Performance mode. They are GREAT!

Also! Someone was complaining here about lack of unison. What’s wrong with using Performance and use sounds in unison here!? You can detune them as well.

Message 4/5             21-Aug-00  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: How to edit Performance?

analog man

Sure, you can stack programs on different parts and then detune them, but I find that the detune is not always fine enough (1 cent increments is a bit course). My Prophet 5 osc's tune up much better than plus or minus 1 cent for an ultra fat unison sound.

Message 5/5             23-Aug-00  @  07:27 PM   -   RE: How to edit Performance?

satori

I've found another way to edit performances.
I've made 4 MIDI channels, from 1-4 in Logic 4.5. I have to set them to be played simultaneously of course.
Firstly I'm spreading Performance's channels to all these channels.
That way I can choose any part on any MIDI channel by clicking with my mouse button in Logic and play it instantly.
I still have to have an extra channel for tuning and editing other parameters but that way I can get very far and quick. After getting the sound I want, I'm changing parts MIDI channels of the Performance back to Global. That's it.
Maybe it sounds complicated but results are fantastic. IMHO true power of SN is in Performance mode.

Cheers

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)