aaa ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  05:41 AM   -   ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

The Price for your products are crashing down like Yamaha-Products.
The BIG supernova was selled on ebay for half of the price !
I think people donīt trust anymore in your update-politic.
If its too much work for Phil
Novation should have another person to work on it.

Iīm very angry, especially that I canīt sell it for a fair price because of your bad reputation.

I think tis was the last product Iīve bought from Novation.

I ve bought an Access Virus Keyboard and now I see the big difference :
better updates and better sounds.

THANK YOU
bene

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/59             02-Aug-00  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

r-tek

just one synth sitar? you cheaparse bastard...........oh I see, you mean you`ll send me the sn2 whilst I`m drawing up my gimme list. Oh what a gent you truly are, you can gimme your FS1R too seeing as you wont be needing it   On a more serious note, some bird mailed me today asking about the juno so I should be one step closr to getting that damned Nova.........providing I get the money before the mini-q comes out, that is.

Message 42/59             03-Aug-00  @  07:50 AM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

sitar

Link?:  Link

Nova.

Message 43/59             04-Aug-00  @  05:52 PM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

r-tek

yeah, but the q might be cheaper + I dont really need so much poly or timbrality anyway. It dont really matter, they`re both great. Virus rack looks kinda nice too but I dont want no more fiddly interfaces, I`d like at least one synth that I can twiddle happily.

Message 44/59             06-Aug-00  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

satori

Simple question.
(I own SN and Virus.)

If you are unhappy with SN, what are you happy with!?!?!?!?!?

If you can't answer that simple question, than u r f#$@*&g moron and should check this site:

http://www.wn.com.au/satori/gfy.htm

C'mon, 101.138435@germanynet.de

spank spank? Any ideas!?

Virus is better? In some areas, yes but in other areas Virus sux and SN wins.

(Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one.)

I love them both. Maybe you on top of the world? On USA or UK charts? You are David Foster? Walter Affanasjjef? William Orbit, Chicane?
Maybe I will respect your opinion but,
show us or play us that good music you've made, huh? Brilliant synths you used? Brilliant sounds you've designed? Impress us!!!!!!!!!!
We are all waiting!!!!!!! Cut the bs!
Show us some skills!!!!!!!!!!!

Pardon my English (Once again, but I was carried away! )

Message 45/59             06-Aug-00  @  10:41 AM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

r-tek

gwarn Satori! Oh, and you speak very good English.......for an Australian :^P

Message 46/59             06-Aug-00  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

Tipo

Isn't it the Nova owners making the fuss.... i haven't noticed any Supernova owners making a fuss.

Message 47/59             07-Aug-00  @  08:22 AM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

tetsuo2

I wont fuss anymore since i just bought a virus b and microwave xtk to fill the void that my nova cannot fill  

Message 48/59             07-Aug-00  @  10:19 AM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

Tipo

and.... how are they?

Message 49/59             07-Aug-00  @  07:41 PM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

satori

tetsuo2 wrote:
'SUBJECT:
'ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION'
mail this discussion to a freind..

Messages posted to thread:

Message From Date
101.138435@germanynet.de - 27-Jul-00
Stefan - 27-Jul-00
lol - 27-Jul-00
spank-spank - 27-Jul-00
subzerox@claramail.com - 27-Jul-00
k - 27-Jul-00
k - 27-Jul-00
Ed-d - 28-Jul-00
Tipo - 28-Jul-00
k - 28-Jul-00
Tipo - 28-Jul-00
Stefan - 28-Jul-00
RHB - 28-Jul-00
k - 28-Jul-00
realtrance - 28-Jul-00
care less - 28-Jul-00
alphazone@mail.com - 28-Jul-00
satori - 28-Jul-00
care less - 28-Jul-00
101.138435@germanynet.de - 29-Jul-00
Stefan - 29-Jul-00
101.138435@germanynet.de - 29-Jul-00
sitar - 29-Jul-00
phunkytek - 29-Jul-00
phunkytek - 29-Jul-00
armand1@prodigy.net - 29-Jul-00
r-tek - 30-Jul-00
sitar - 30-Jul-00
Pepe - 30-Jul-00
r-tek - 30-Jul-00
sitar - 30-Jul-00
r-tek - 30-Jul-00
sitar - 30-Jul-00
r-tek - 30-Jul-00
satori - 31-Jul-00
enuff - 02-Aug-00
sitar - 02-Aug-00
care less - 02-Aug-00
r-tek - 02-Aug-00
sitar - 03-Aug-00
r-tek - 04-Aug-00
satori - 06-Aug-00
r-tek - 06-Aug-00
Tipo - 06-Aug-00
tetsuo2 - 07-Aug-00
Tipo - 07-Aug-00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION
Date: 27-Jul-00

The Price for your products are crashing down like Yamaha-Products. The BIG supernova was selled on ebay for half of the price ! I think people donīt trust anymore in your update-politic. If its too much work for Phil Novation should have another person to work on it.
Iīm very angry, especially that I canīt sell it for a fair price because of your bad reputation.

I think tis was the last product Iīve bought from Novation.

I ve bought an Access Virus Keyboard and now I see the big difference : better updates and better sounds.

THANK YOU bene

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

Keep cool bene,
with much luck I'll get DM 1400,- for my virus a, thats half of the price of a new B. Have you seen the second hand price for a Q rack ? Half a year old, 66% of a new one. We are talking about specialized computers. My PII 400 and my Supernova are both 2 years old. If i sell the SN i'll get some money, if I try to sell the PII I'll get some laughs.

The problem is that nowadays products from Novation / Waldorf / Access are released without a complete working OS. So you have to trust and to wait, but I think with the supernova its really too long... You see new products released (SN2 etc..) but nothing is done for your expensive Syntheziser which isnīt completed. For good products you will get a good price when you sell it second hand. And Iīve sold a lot of synthezisers the last 10 years, for a Roland JP8080 (new price DM 2444)I got after a 3/4 year DM 2000, but this is quality. I donīt want to say, that Iīm not confinced of the handling of the SN (itīs really the best at the synth), but the sound isnīt that fat Iīve expected. A Nova would be enough for me, so I try now to change. But I think an OS-Update would 1) make many owners happy and maybe satisfied 2) would increase the price again
I was "cool" 1 year, but the "special buttons" still dont work. Come on, itīs not professional... bene

I am also nervous about the release of new OS, but I think(I hope) that Novation is working on it now, it will be ready soon, I am sure! ooh, I have a question about it,...are the sounds inside the machine lost after an upgrade?

I think you ve to store them in your sequencer, the update will overwrite the banks ....I think of new fat sounds... But itīs good that you can still "hope" bene

Forget about the updates, sell your synth and learn an expensive lesson as I did. I paid Ģ800 for my Nova sold it seven months later for Ģ500, had to advertise it about 10 times. Wake up people, Novation have gone from being keen and customer focused to a mid sized faceless corparation. The update to make the special buttons work is bottom of their to-do list.

Web: http://philterphreak.homestead.com/sactuary

the special button has worked for me ive got it workin n i use it quite frequently to make my sounds

oh my god.... it's 'drama' queen time :0 -
i'm happy with my s'nova, it's great   - have a nice day guys and um, come back and play us some of your music soon...

oh and also bene, that is actually misleading information to post mate, cos the OS when released DID work in full, the fucking special button - it was to my knowledge advertised as being added as a freebie upgrade button available if needed for future updates as yet unspecified that Novation might choose to implement - the way i read the advertising it was like The SNova has got the ability to add updates in the future - fine,... but - there is absolutely NO question and it is 100% WRONG for you to state that the OS of the synth without that button is INCOMPLETE - this in NOT TRUE AT ALL -

Date: 28-Jul-00

I thought that moron had sold his nova long ago...
Why cant he fuck off and take his pointless whinging elsewhere

i thought Novation were releasing the new Nova OS at the end of July? Gossip eh?

whatever.. i'm not having a go at the virus at all, they are very good too, in fact i was chatting with Chris who owns Organic records just this morning, and he's just been working in Germany where he used a VirusB and went out and bought one the next day and brought it home with him to the UK, fine... he's currently negotiating with NOVATECH for relase of some stuff ... so fine, as i said, it's a good synth, and like the nova's in the right hands it can make good music, but the hysteric's i can't take much more... both are good synths, niether are released UNFINISHED as our synth buying & selling visitor claims of many makes... so why can't we just choose what we like and get on with making some music and not try to drag synths into some hysterical thing best reserved for 11 year olds discussing which is the 'best' pop groups....

I think its the fact that Access are bringing out updates every other month whilst Novation are over a year late. I reckon thats why these guys are getting mad.... anger causes juvenile behaviour.

There last major update of the Virus A was about a year ago and introduced the vocoder. And afaik it will be the last for the A.

Maybe they are working very hard on the new OS and the wealth of new features will blow us away?

well the fact remains.. novation promised an OS update with new sounds and extra polyphony - that they delivered pretty quick - the SPECIAL button was ALWAYS promoted like this: An extra button put onto the hardware which would allow them to allocate extra things to that button rather than just adding an extra menu item to another button therefore saving scrolling thru more menu items etc... - they could easily implement anything like extra filer shapes in the standard filter menu without the button, but the buttons were always said that this is so that Novation have the option to add extra facilities if they choose to add them - so it is really a freebie option button that Novation can if they like add a function to in the future.. that is all... no promises were made aboiut what those functions might be or when they would appear if at all, Novation always made it clear that those features COULD do such and such things, and if they have time, they add things like giving free extra's to the user.. that is all.
the new SN2 add's another filter i understand, so you can stack two filters in series etc, also it does FM with about 8 FM algorithms i think... if these features DON'T make it to the SN_1 (and the two filters i dont think will) no big deal for me... As for FM, i also prefer to use an original Yamaha DX for my FM to get the authentic popular sounds, and those are so cheap to find s/h, cos so many were made, it is no problem to add real yamaha vintage FM with it's own keyboard/unit, midi port and outputs for around 100 pounds or even less.. i just picked up a totaly mint DX27 for Ģ50 quid last month -

in the end, all the synths i have are basically fixed OS.. like synths used to be... you buy it, it does what it does.. no-one thinks of the synth as like a s/w programme to be always updated.. but now alot of younger users who have only been buying synths since s/w os's were upgradable feel now that synths are just like s/w or soundcards etc and should have endless upgrades etc and new features always released... this to me is not a good way to think... buy the product based on what it can do just like an older synth.. anything else is just free extra's to me.... i have to be 100% happy with the product as it is to buy it.

k,
You make a good point, a lot of people here seem to have had their expectations trained by the software industry, so when they see anything that smells and feels even a little like a duck, they call it a duck. Just duckie.

There's so much in the way of FM out there -- the FS1R's still available, BTW, though not at the blow-out price the last round of inventory was at -- that nobody should cry fowl if they never get another filter or FM option for their SN with the last OS update. I'm sure the SN II's version is unique, and cool to have, along with two filters (that brings it more into league with the Q for that aspect of the architecture) instead of "just" one, etc. etc.

But me, I'd be happy if all I got with OS4 was "OS4" coming up in the LED when my SN boots. I would then call it Done, as it's basically already been for many months.

Anything beyond that's pure gravy, as far as I'm concerned.

rt

I'm happy with the snv the way it is, but there are 3 points:- 1) I've been running a beta OS for almost a year, that is unprofessional on the part of Novation, regardless of it's stability. 2) a post from phill in september last year suggested that a new OS was not far away, this is what has led to the expectation and the bitching about lateness. 3) Ultimately for Novation, they may have the best synth in the world, but they are shooting themselves in the foot, and that's the bottom line.

maybe a stupid question but does anybody know if a new OS for the Nova is coming out in addition to the Super?
bcwest

Heya. How I’ve bought my Supernova. I got her from a shop for a weekend. I tried her whole weekend, I listen, I've programmed her a little. I loved the sound I bought her. Extra buttons were there and I thought that it is some way to improve SN with these buttons. However, I bought SN and buttons were as a bonus for free. Than I've found this forum and downloaded from here some upgrades to existing OS and I got some new sounds, new friends (hi Phil, Stefan) and more... voices. I'm VERY happy with my SN because I'm mad? Or... I do have a reason to be happy with my new toy!? Any extras after I purchased my SN is a bonus for me and I do appreciate it a lot. I agree that there could be much more added to it, but, never anything was so good , so could not be even better. I do have an idea. I will start to whinge that Virus pads do sux, huh!?
Cheers whingers. BTW. My English could be better too! ;-P

satori, it's not a she it's an it, btw otherwise things could get messy  

Date: 29-Jul-00

O.K., I understand that the update of the special buttons wasnīt promised when I bought the SN. But when I bought the SN, OS4 (the FINAL Update) was promised by Phil, and I didnīt expected such a long time ("itīs not far away").
I think it wouldnīt be bad if Phil / Novation could tell us the date of the release, maybe Autumn, Winter or next Summer ? THANX bene

It was indeed a mistake of Phill that after all that grumbling he hastily announced a date that Novation could not keep. I think he regretted that a lot ;-) Another mistake was the name of the current OS. If they wouldn't have called it OS 3.x BETA they would only have had half the number of complaints. But we all learn. Phill learns too. In the beginning he had a friendly word for any nagger. Meanwhile he knows that this was wasted time ;-)

Everybody makes mistakes, this is o.k., maybe we can just get some INFORMATION about the date bene

I bought my Supernova with no idea that there would be another OS, so when I found out there was a new OS to dl, I was excited and very happy with the results even though I didn't much time to use it without the new OS. And when 4.0 comes out I'll undoubtedly dl that also. But this synth is loaded as is. The only time I think about an OS is when I come here and see all these posts. I have music to write and one incredible Supernova to help me write it. In fact sometimes I'd swear I'm helping it write music.

Web: http://www.dt.uh.edu/~barne005

I have had my Nova a week and it is so easy to program and use. If you need a new OS to get good sounds out of this, you should not be writing music. People have tried to limit the sounds of the Nova to certain genre, but the sounds the nova can make are not limited at all . I've made DnB lfo bass lines, acid lines, trance melodies, and just plain strange. This thing does so much already. .New Os or not, I love this little laptop.

Web: http://www.dt.uh.edu/~barne005

I have had my Nova a week and it is so easy to program and use. If you need a new OS to get good sounds out of this, you should not be writing music. People have tried to limit the sounds of the Nova to certain genre, but the sounds the nova can make are not limited at all . I've made DnB lfo bass lines, acid lines, trance melodies, and just plain strange. This thing does so much already. .New Os or not, I love this little laptop.

This is a wonderful synth, there is a lot of people praising Acces for their timely and frequent updates..?..where?..I own an Access Virus b..and I have been visiting their web page for months now and still waiting for their 4.0 os update..they are both in the same boat...and they are both great products!!!

Date: 30-Jul-00

jesus, if you dont want your (super)novas, you can always give em to me, I`d love one. Stop complaining fer christsake, try making music with a pulse and a mw1 like I do and then try and tell me your novations are underfeatured and unfinished. Its a great box as it is, y`all bought yours strictly as they are, so why start whinging now? The fact that acces abonded the original virus as soon as the b came out whilst novation are still working on improving the (super)nova1 perhaps tells you something about the respective companies. Rant over.

R-Tek, you do come through with a good one every now and again mate.

Well R-tek, Access never said a year ago that they SOON were going to release an upgrade for the Virus-A. I think what people here are upset about is the fact that something was promised a long time ago and they are still waiting for it. I think that the nova is a great mashine but when you market it as a upgradable synth, Novation really should release an upgrade before they release a new product. Virus-A was upgraded several times before Virus-B was released.

but the point is, the upgraded OS has been in the pipeline for some time, and so has the new novas. So, whilst novation were never under any obligation to make a new, big upgrade to the SW, they`ve decided to go ahead with it despite that fact that it may lose them sales of the new units. And anyone with half a brain can figure that the reason the new OD is taking so long is because they`ve had to get the new novas ready and iron out any bugs with them. The new OS is still coming, sure its late, but contrary to what has been said above, they`re still a small company trying hard to compete with the big-boys (Access did take alot of technical and business knowledge with them from Waldorf, remember) so what the hells the problem? Stop complaining, its a finished machine that sometime in the future is gonna get better.

sitar - least that makes one of us then :p

Meeeee-oww.

True u lousy good 4 nothin @#!*{

And R-Tek I know you reside in sampler heaven but you should get one of these synths when you can. They'll blow you away I think.

mate, I`m desperate for one but I`ve promised myself I`m gonna start paying me debts off before I create some more   I`ll swap you yours for a half drunken can of "jucee tropical" sparkling pineapple and grapefruit drink? Fine, be like that then, I`ll just drink it meself. On a more serious note, I`ve finally decided to go through with the studio clearout - 2 synths, a sampler and my MPC is whats staying, so who knows, maybe I`ll let the gearwhore pixies get the better of me.

Half drunken beer might've been a tempting offer unless it was Guiness. How the hell do you people drink that stuff? My theory is that you have to sit there for so long after you've ordered the thing while the bartender dotes over it, by the time you get it you're thirsty enough you'll drink anything.
Only one sampler in your studio? You can't live on one sampler. Anyone else I'd say OK, but you?

If I hadn't gone out and bought this new pc I might try to sneek in with the pixies.

ah well, it wasn`t beer, more of a tropical fizzy drink, but I`ve drunken it now so its too late for you to change yer mind. Guiness? Never figured it out either, nasty stuff, good for racehorses tho - they give it to em when they get a cold as a pick-me-up so I guess it has a use. Just one smapler, I know, but the mpc samples too so the withdrawal symptoms wont be too bad.

Date: 31-Jul-00

"satori, it's not a she it's an it, btw otherwise things could get messy  "
Upps... thanx... sound like... she, female anyway. I'll never learn that horrible, illlogical language.

Date: 02-Aug-00

Ok enough is enough, you people were happy enough with the Nova when you first purchased it (knowing full well that there was a certain button which did not work then either) so what has changed?? All genuine Nova/Supernova owners know what these synths are capable of and those few idiots who claim they will get rid of their Nova if a certain feature is not included in OS4 well fine. Do that. Again, why did you bother in the first place? There are many more people out there like myself who will gladly buy your Nova. You are very lucky to be able to afford and use one. Take your playground whinging elsewhere.
Novation Rocks.

p.s in case any of you feel the need to reply with some sarcastic insult go for it!!! Guess what!! me dont give a shit

R-Tek, if I win the lottery before you get one yourself, there'll be a Supernova 2 KB Pro on your doorstep the next morning. Promise.  

enuff who says it's enough just cause you say it's enough, huh huh huh ;-)

just one synth sitar? you cheaparse bastard...........oh I see, you mean you`ll send me the sn2 whilst I`m drawing up my gimme list. Oh what a gent you truly are, you can gimme your FS1R too seeing as you wont be needing it   On a more serious note, some bird mailed me today asking about the juno so I should be one step closr to getting that damned Nova.........providing I get the money before the mini-q comes out, that is.

Date: 03-Aug-00

Nova.

Date: 04-Aug-00

yeah, but the q might be cheaper + I dont really need so much poly or timbrality anyway. It dont really matter, they`re both great. Virus rack looks kinda nice too but I dont want no more fiddly interfaces, I`d like at least one synth that I can twiddle happily.

Date: 06-Aug-00

Simple question. (I own SN and Virus.)
If you are unhappy with SN, what are you happy with!?!?!?!?!?

If you can't answer that simple question, than u r f#$@*&g moron and should check this site:

http://www.wn.com.au/satori/gfy.htm

C'mon, 101.138435@germanynet.de

spank spank? Any ideas!?

Virus is better? In some areas, yes but in other areas Virus sux and SN wins.

(Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one.)

I love them both. Maybe you on top of the world? On USA or UK charts? You are David Foster? Walter Affanasjjef? William Orbit, Chicane? Maybe I will respect your opinion but, show us or play us that good music you've made, huh? Brilliant synths you used? Brilliant sounds you've designed? Impress us!!!!!!!!!! We are all waiting!!!!!!! Cut the bs! Show us some skills!!!!!!!!!!!

Pardon my English (Once again, but I was carried away! )

gwarn Satori! Oh, and you speak very good English.......for an Australian :^P

Isn't it the Nova owners making the fuss.... i haven't noticed any Supernova owners making a fuss.

Date: 07-Aug-00

'I wont fuss anymore since i just bought a virus b and microwave xtk to fill the void that my nova cannot fill  '

Still not joy! Huh!?

Tipo wrote:

'and.... how are they?'

He's still lurking here coz he missed SN so much! ;-P

Message 50/59             08-Aug-00  @  07:57 AM   -   RE: ITS A SHAME HOW LONG I WAIT FOR OS4, NOVATION

tetsuo2

haha no the XTK just arrived yesterday and my virus comes today... I think I'm just gonna take the next two days off to sit and put em to work ;) And they both have unison modes (HINT HINT NOVATION)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 59 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)