aaa tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 27-Apr-00  @  08:13 PM   -   tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cristina

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Guys I have been looking at different synths and they all seem to have that tb-303 sound and then some. They have effects,tweaking of sounds and arpeggiator functions that make the tb-303 seem a little obsolete to me. Not to mention that pricewise the tb-303 can get a little ridiculous. Mind you I don't own a tb-303 thats why I am posting this question. I am looking hard at a novation nova synth module.
what gives?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/75             16-May-00  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

909 Inc.

Nick,

Sounds like a great setup! I probably
would add a sampler at some time,
something like the EMU esi-32 or
even a older Akai (both in the sub
400 range if look around)
If say the ER-1 does not give you
good snares, just get some samples
off the net and load them up in the
sampler, or if you want your crashes
on the er-1 to keep decaying and not
get cutoff by the clap, just sample the
crash. The sampler is a very useful
tool. The new Korg ES-1 seems
interesting too.

For a decent mixer at a great price,
check out the new Behringers.
Mackies are nicer but like 50% more
expensive.

For effects, maybe pick up a used
Alesis Wedge or a Digitech Studio
Quad.

A great track going though a cheap
mixer is still a great track. A shity
track going through a expensive
mixer is still shite! =)

Later.

909 Inc.

Message 42/75             16-May-00  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Thanks 909! I especially like the advice at the end   It gives me hope.

I'm really looking forward to jamming with all this new stuff. Maybe even do a small live gig! That'd be a dream come true...

Should I go with a mixer, or a multitrack recorder? I just want to add one piece to the above setup (CS2x, 777, ER-1) so that I will be able to do both live and studio recording. What to do?

-Nick

Message 43/75             16-May-00  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

oldskool

I recommend you go with a mixer rather than a multitracker, a mixer is way more flexible. If you go for a mid price one (Behringer, Spirit, etc) you get very good sound quality compared to the mixer on a multitracker. Also you can change your mastering medium easier, and if you get a good, say 12 channel mixer, you can keep it for use as a sub mixer when you make it big with that Neve Capricorn 96 channel jobbie!

Message 44/75             16-May-00  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

oldskool

909 Inc, very stylish website! Nice ideas dude, that tracklist nutritional info thing is well cool, didn't have time to D/L any tunes yet but will soon.

BTW - Midi'ed Speak'n'Spell? Tell me more!

Message 45/75             16-May-00  @  08:57 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

Link?:  Link

Cocomox....does the JP-8000 have pads and strings? Man, are
you on crack?!??! The JP-8000 is the MOTHER of all synths for making pads and strings. One of the oscillators is a Super Saw; it's 7 mixed saw waves which uses only one voice of polyphony...it's perfect for making pads. If you have listened to Scooter's last two albums or any Paul Oakenfold trance stuff, you should know the sound.

For your mixer, I recommend the Behringer MX602A. It's got 2 stereo channels, and 4 monos. 3 band EQ too. Only $100.00 USD.

Message 46/75             16-May-00  @  11:02 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Pedicelli: Yes, I AM on crack, so what?

Just kidding. Sorry, I knew nothing about the jp-8000. I'll have to make that my sext synth...or maybe sell the CS2x...

Woah, that's like...the perfect mixer for me! Is there one with 3 stereo channels though? Or, like 4-6 (for when I expand my equipment)? The price is perfect though. I'll have to check on zZounds.com -- is that a good site? I used it as a lower price, so guitar center gave me the CS2x for like $530. It was rad.

-Nick

Message 47/75             16-May-00  @  11:24 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Actually, where can I get that MX602A? I just checked out the Gemeni PDM14, seems like something I could use...but no eq. Does the MX602A have individual eq, or one master? I'd like to get one with three stereo inputs, a couple mono, a mic or two, and individual eqs for the stereo, if possible. I know this is asking for something really specific, but if you guys have anything in mind, let me know!

-Nick

Message 48/75             16-May-00  @  11:45 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

909 Inc.

The MX-602A , looks like four
channel strips (two mono and two
stereo), 3 band eq, two mic
preamps. Tape in/out Aux send for
effects, pan.

I would personally get the one up at
least (the MX802A) it has 8 channel
strips ( four mono and two stereo).
You will find yourself running out of
channels quickly, trust me.

Go to americanmusical.com and ask
for a free catalog, also musician's
friend has catalogs, just search and
ask for a catalog.
There's nothing like takin' a shite and
looking for your next gear purchase
=)

Oh yeah, try behringer.com or
something.

Oldschool, thanks for the good word!
My speak and spell is not modified
and rackmounted, sorry. I might do
that someday. I did use it in the track
titled "lsd parts 1&2" though.

-909 Inc.

Message 49/75             17-May-00  @  12:29 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Thanks, 909! Where's your site??

And why is everyone so tripped up on speak N spell now? Cheap-ass vocoding? I have one of them...are they now worth countless hundreds of dollars like the 303? I am getting dollar symbols in my eyes....  

J/k...anyway, which piece should I get first, the JP, the ER, or the FR? I'm thinking the FR comes first, then the ER, and finally the JP...when I get some more cash. Sound good? Is there anything else I'm missing? I don't think I need to get great monitors right now...do I need amps or something?

-Nick

Message 50/75             17-May-00  @  01:23 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

909 Inc.

Link?: Link

Go to Goodwill or a swap meet and
pick up some cheap ass Sony
receiver and some decent looking
speakers that fit on your desk, try to
get it all for a deal. I still use a Sony
receiver I got at a salvation army like
6 years ago.
Cambridge soundworks (hifi.com)
have this three piece system with a
sub for 50 bucks, these fuckers
sound great!, not too good very loud
because the sub sounds very
muddy, but at normal close up lever
at a moderate volume, they sound
great! and have built in amps.

Speak and Spells are nice because
you can usually get them cheap and
are fun to experiment. I'm actually
looking for a speak and math.

I think I would get the ER first, this
will allow you to build drum patterns
first and then put synth
lines/samples/whatever over it first.
Good drum programming is
important, try de-constructing the
presets to see how they were made,
then make your own.

-909 Inc.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 75 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)