aaa What next... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: What next...

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 25-Oct-00  @  06:41 PM   -   What next...?

trev

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Now that I've got a decent goddamn job I'm thinking of buying some new gear. At the moment all I have is a mixer, PC with AWE32 (oh, shite), novation bassStation, TB303, Zoom rfx2000, two homebodged 303 clones and other stuff not worth mentioning. Anyone got any suggestions for what to get next?

I really want something to use for percussion and stuff, and maybe a better sampler... I'm considering getting a second hand Yamaha A3000 and using this for drum samples. Apparently it has fx as standard? Is this machine any good?

What about the Electribes for a cheap drum machine? Or are these machines crap?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 51/54             07-Nov-00  @  08:32 PM   -   RE: What next...

swanofnever

i think what we're seeing here is canadian consumer vs. us consumer.

try long&mcquade (i think there's one in mont.), the one on t.o rents out gear pretty cheap, not sure if they'll rent the _latest_ synths though. but it should be under $100 for a month.

oh, and i've got a behringer MX1604A... you can get them new for around $210 US. my advice would be try to find a used mackie CR1604 (i've got one of those too), they usually go for around $300-400 US. you get higher quality (more headroom, better mic pres, better fader scaling, etc.), 6 mono aux. outs and 4 stereo aux. ins (MX has 2 mono out and 2 mono in), 8ch. of insert (i.e how the hell are you going to use a compressor/etc. on a behringer? you can't -- NO inserts on MX), trim pots on all ch. (MX only has input trims on the 4 mono ch.) etc. etc. etc.

no idea about the vlz, but i've got an old-school one and it's REALLY good. not that the behringer's crap, but...

p.s - why the fuck would you return a nord rack II!?

Message 52/54             07-Nov-00  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: What next...

H

It all depends on store policy on how long you can keep a piece of gear before your refund period is up.You usually have to have a reason to return it I usually say this thing sucks and spew out technical dribble the salesman and mgr are too stupid to know anything about.keep in mind I spend BIG BUCKS at these stores so they usually play by my rules to keep me on as a customer.i have been known to cause a store or 2 to change the return policy because i keep track of how long i've had a piece of gear and if i'm "borrowing" it i just show up on the last day of return.Just don't damage the equipment,write on manuals and remove any screen cover plastic if you want to return it.In the US just breaking the seal on the box isn't a good enough excuse for them not to take it back.CAUTION do not try this w/ mom n pop music stores only mega chains.

Try it at home because you don't know how it sounds in a mix until you've used it in one.

Message 53/54             10-Nov-00  @  01:18 AM   -   RE: What next...

Silver Droid

Link?:  Link

Swanofnever,

What do you mean how am I gonna use a compressor on the MX's? I'm using a Behringer Virtualizer via aux sends and stuff and I don't seem to have a problem. Would not a compressor work in the same fashion (I have no experience with compressors btw...)?

With regards to the Clavia Nord Rack II, I found it pointless to keep. The analogue quality was good, I liked the hands on control. But to not have effects and such a limited spectrum of sound, it was not worth keeping for $2,000.00 CAD. So, I brought it back and a few months later got my TB-303 and JP-8000.

Message 54/54             10-Nov-00  @  01:19 AM   -   RE: What next...

Silver Droid

Link?:  Link

This topic is getting too big, no one continue the discussion here. Go to: "Mixers and Nord Rack 2"

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 54 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)