aaa The Worlds Best Synth - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: The Worlds Best Synth

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 20-Apr-99  @  10:04 PM   -   The Worlds Best Synth

Mo7

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Let me just say that it doesn't exist. Sorry but it doesn't.
This is just my way of letting people know that most synths have there place in your studio you just have to find the right place for it. In some caese its the garbage but not always. I've gone through many synths in the 2 years live been trying to make it as they say. some are crap and others I can't beleave I sold. We have to go through the "I don't know what to buy so I'll get what the other guys buy" phase. At first I bought a master keyboard and tons of modules but that is definetly not the way to go. Your better off with the keyboards. The more hands on the better.

One thing that really bugs me as that when I read a review it's always comparing the synth to a 303. get the fuck over it if you want a 303 get the fucking 303 and shut the hell up. Why would you buy a synth to sound like another synth. the rave-o-lution doesn't sound like a 303 so don't get it. give me a fuckin break.

All synths have a little something to contribute to your sound.
I'll give you a little run down of the synths I regularly use and what i use them for .
-Korg Prophecy- The pads are incredible. 13 osilators help to sculpt the sound. Can you say FAT. Its also a great controller with the dials and aftertouch.
-Roland String Ensemble- Great sampled strings. makes it on all tracks.
-Roland MC-303-Big peice of crap what the hell was I thinking. I do however use a few drum sounds.
-Roland Sound Canvas- GM for internet music. I've been know to use a patch or two on a track.
-Novation Bass Station- Bubbly acid and super mono bass lines
-Korg ER-1- Awesome drums
-Korg EA-1- Great synths. Analog heaven and easy to use.
-EMU ESI 32 sampler- collects all the dust.
-CS2X- Great controller and really nice arpegiator. Sounds are decent to.

None of these could work alone but togheter its a powerful package to be feared.

I got to get back to work bye.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 51/71             09-Mar-00  @  10:27 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

ashley.marians

the worlds best synth has to be your newest or the one you cant afford. is the best the one that plays the best or makes the best sound or looks great or can bring the roof down with one sound? i can tell you want it cant be, one without loads of knobs and flashing lights or one with samples in it. or do we count the synth which has been used on the most records, this would narrow it down to a mini, 303 or dx7 or am i wrong or is this another thread?!?!?!
ashley

Message 52/71             11-Mar-00  @  05:33 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

phunkytek

......We interupt this fight for an important message.... Analog vs. modeled seems to be a fiery debate. Each have their strong points. The modeled stuff is not as thick and just finaly have manufactures sped up the processors to get rid of the zippery sound of filter sweeps.The two are very differant. The biggest differance that the ear can distinguish is the randomnes of the analog osc. A digitaly created wave is more uniform and sounds less alive.Listen to rebirth and a true 303 line. Rebirth sounds great in the mix, but solo it does'nt have as much color. I do give props, and I do use rebirth on tracks. The supernova is a classy synth but it sounds very clean and less colorful than an analog equvalant. I think it sounds better in trance and on tight melodic arpeggios than a sloppier analog osc, but I would not use it for my funkier acid lines that need the randomness of an analog osc. I also would use my juno for bright poly parts before comitting the nova.The best synth is the one that gets the job done. A good place to be positioned is with a sampling synth like an emulator or s-5000 and a couple of analog mono synthns and an fm device.This way you can create your own synth sounds from multiple sources. My favorate tracks are those with instruments from all flavors. Just listen to an orbital album and count the sounds. You should lose count pretty quickly. If you're a begginer, get a power sampler first and one or two analogs. I recomend a jupiter. With those two pieces of gear you could create songs with almost limitles sonic texture.The bottom line is dance music is shaped by the gear of each erra. You can't get by with just analog, but if you move fwrd to quikly, and I want to stress that I believe soon the manufactures will model analog right, you will lose the sounds that shaped what we do today. Be patient and hang on to the dinasours for just a while longer. Just have a listen to the new Vst synth, PRO-Five. If they stuck that in a piece of hardware I think We'ed be just about thier. For anyone curious about what I use- my kit: rebirth,juno-106,sh-101,bass station, bass station rack,dx100,emu e-6400 and a nova on the way My favorate is the 101- Now back to your previously scheduled Brawl already in progress.........

Message 53/71             28-Mar-00  @  06:26 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

daniino

I'd say my minimoog is the best, it aint got any midi capabilities. But at least it sounds good. Unlike those mc303, crappy bullshit, switch them on and look mum it's techno, you got sucked in if you bought one of those things, what's roland doing ??. Good marketing though, I bet some people actually thought they were buying the ledgendary 303. That's just my opinion anyway. If you wanna be digital then why try and sound like your analogue.
If anyone wants to argue about this then come on,

I darez ya!!!!!

Message 54/71             28-Mar-00  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

99devils

If I had to rely on minimoogs for my live sound I'd be fucked hard... Plug in Virus. Select Patch. Play. Multitimbral, no less! And MIDI, and I don't have to tune it, and it costs less than 10 minis and and and and and....

And I know I'm in the minority here, but I PREFER the sound of VA. It's cleaner, and tighter IMHO.

-Craig

Message 55/71             30-Mar-00  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

phunkytek

I think we have a winner. The Alesis-A6-Andromeda! If it sounds as good as it is designed we have a winner in the worlds best synth contest. As seen on the cover of April's Keyboard mag at NAMM. True analog(no modeled stuff here) 16 voices, seperate outs, midi up tha wazoo, onboard effects, 72 knobs, 144 buttons and a price tag to match at $3995 list, but for the budget minded people I'd expect to see a smaller scaled down rack version at about half that within a year. A close contender would be the jomox-sunsyn with 8 analog voices no effects , but 8 part multi. the andromeda article did not say if those 16 voices were multi timbral or if they are just for layering and and spliting up a mono timbral patch. And moog fans,Bob Moog re-released the minimoog under the name Big Briar as their"Performance synth". It is looking good for all of us, the modeled junkies and the analog die hards. We going to have it all as keybourd makers are finaly listening!

Message 56/71             30-Mar-00  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

99devils

Yeah, but who can afford four grand for that synth? Not me... And I've got a damn good job!

-Craig

Message 57/71             30-Mar-00  @  08:41 PM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

k

tue analog... really.... hmm.. i dont think so

Message 58/71             30-Mar-00  @  10:47 PM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

phunkytek

the article reads"Scheduled for delivery later this year, this 16 voice true-analog beauty features two oscilators per voice, ....."if you have info on the Andromeda A6 that keyboard magazine doesn't I would like you to post it please.

Message 59/71             31-Mar-00  @  07:31 AM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

nobody

Link?:  Link

"best"

funny how an andromeda is the last thing analog i'd EVER be after. i don't play keys much at all nope no need for me not my thing let it go... i like rackmounts. put everything in the world in a rack. fuck these huge, non-portable 47 lb. beasties for MY purposes. so for me? the best synth is as has been stated probably 17 million times before.. it's not ONE. it's not an analog, it's not digital, VA, FM, etc...

it's almost like saying that if there is a best synth, then ok then that's the only one you'd need ever for your music! ha! ok maybe not, but i do not like the indication that there are ANY absolutes as there are pretty much none.

so.. andromeda? no. good, maybe great, only time will tell how reliable it is, how easy the knobs would be to replace when over-eager knob turners get um.. over-eager.... sure, i'm all for the idea & the actual thing. i'll stop now. i've got too much crap i've been avoiding doing anyhow.

-josiah

Message 60/71             31-Mar-00  @  12:08 PM   -   RE: The Worlds Best Synth

R-Tek

damn nobody, that was coherent and almost totally lacking in cryptic references........whats wrong?

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 71 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)