aaa tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 27-Apr-00  @  08:13 PM   -   tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cristina

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Guys I have been looking at different synths and they all seem to have that tb-303 sound and then some. They have effects,tweaking of sounds and arpeggiator functions that make the tb-303 seem a little obsolete to me. Not to mention that pricewise the tb-303 can get a little ridiculous. Mind you I don't own a tb-303 thats why I am posting this question. I am looking hard at a novation nova synth module.
what gives?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 51/75             17-May-00  @  10:46 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Speak N Math...hm, I have one of those too, I think. Are they gray? I remember the old Speak and Spell, from like, '89 or something, and then a gray one some time later.

Doesn't the 777 do some drums? I'm itching for some nice drums...but also for some good 303 and synth...

I just wish I had the cash to buy them all at once!

Pedicelli: badass pics of you and the 303   I like the one of you eating it. Is it fun to sit on the ground, programming loops and tweaking the hell out of them? I imagine that would be so fun...just to sit there making the loops...but alas, no cash for a 303. Where did you get yours???

Did any of you guys find them for under $500??

-Nick

Message 52/75             18-May-00  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

Link?: Link

I found my TB-303 advertised in the classified adds on Sonic State for $700.00 USD mint. It was a guy from British Columbia (Canada) selling it. You gotta obsessively check those adds for good deals. I've bought all of my equipment except for my Doepfer convert and mixer from there.

As for my mixer, I bought it from my local music shop, but I think you can also order straight from Behringer, I'm not sure.

Personally, I would sell the CS2x. That's a PCM based synth, right? PCM samples for synthesizers suck ass. Weak filters, and weak sonic possibilities. I would get the JP-8000 first. That would broaden your sound spectrum and give you a good introduction to subtractive synthesis. Then get the ER-1 for your drums, then finally add a monosynth with built in 16 step sequencer (TB-303, FR-777). Or, if you're really into minimal techno, get the ER-1 and a monosynth.
When I first started out, I had nothing but a Roland MCR-8 and ReBirth. Then I added the Prophecy to my setup, moved onto the ER-1, TR-606, JP-8000, TR-606 tonal mods and individual outputs, and finally the TB-303.

Message 53/75             18-May-00  @  06:40 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Ok, out she goes. I'll see if I can get store credit for the CS2x...

In with the ER-1, MX602A, and sometime in the future, the JP-8000. Distant future...303 or 777? I'll be floating around with no synth for awhile, I guess. Sad. Pedecelli, I noticed this setup is a part of your larger one. I appreciate all the advice, and hope I can turn out some decent stuff. The MX602 is only $80 on musician.com, and I'll get the ER-1 from Guitar Center...if they sell it.

I'm pretty damn stoked to get all this. Is there anywhere I can get a hardware seq that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I might just use the comp, but it'd be nice to be QWERTY-free.

-Nick

Message 54/75             18-May-00  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

Forget hardware sequencers, just get your hands on either Cubase VST, Cakewalk, or Logic Audio. Also get Sonic Foundry Acid, because it's more usefull to wave sequence since you can get more parts out of your gear. You can also get Seq-303 by techno toys, it's a software piece which emulates classic 16 step analogue sequencers. You can ever export the sequences as MIDI files.

Message 55/75             20-May-00  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

dsb

if you can find one you might want to consider the an1x rather than the jp. there cheaper and have a more extensive architechture and modulation capabilities.

Message 56/75             20-May-00  @  02:03 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Thanks, dsb.

I haven't bought anything yet, still making sure that what I'm looking at will fit my needs. I'll most likely go with the ER-1, some time next week, then see about a polysynth. Then, the mighty monosynth!

-Nick

Message 57/75             21-May-00  @  10:00 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Druma

haveing a tb in your music is like making a movie whith a star actor in it!, to me it justifies the silly s/h price of the silver box..the TB is a star!

Message 58/75             21-May-00  @  02:58 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

Well said!

~Pete

Message 59/75             21-May-00  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

The Yamaha AN1x is just as extensive as the Korg Prophecy. Only problem is you have to learn FM synthesis and deal with their vectorial morphing....

Message 60/75             21-May-00  @  09:21 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Of the following, which would be the best to go with a FR-777?

1. AN1x
2. Prophecy
3. JP-8000
4. ?

I just need something with nice pads, some extra interesting voices (including actual instruments like piano), polyphony, and not more than like $800 (new or used). Any other suggestions? I know of these, the JP-8000 might fit the best, but it's a little too much...is there anything cheaper?

-Nick

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 75 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)