aaa snv2kb suggestions/comments - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: snv2kb suggestions/comments

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             29-Sep-00  @  04:41 PM   -   snv2kb suggestions/comments

ryanmcwhorter

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

as mentioned in the "fundamental problems" thread, here's my 2 cents for jon s. and anyone else who cares. I'd love to hear feedback from other owners.
these are all detailed comments and its more of a wishlist, but overall the synth is stellar- to do over with, i'd not hesitate to purchase it again.

1. I miss having a HOLD button like in older analogs- when you get a great arp pattern going you can latch it, but what about when you get great mod patterns, or just need a drone to work off of (or tune off of?) I suggest adding HOLD to the arp menu/latch type-
right now it says just constant/pattern. Could the latch button not function as a HOLD in non arp patches?

2. Here's my biggest complaint about the syntehsis engine. Whenever applying the wheel as a modulator to osc pitch, osc width or osc sync, the modulation occurs instantly, even with the mod wheel in the off or null position (all the way down). In my book, modulation should not occur until the wheel is moved. Ironically, when applying the wheel as a modulator to hardness, no effect occurs until the wheel is moved up. This is how it should be! This "flaw" has really irritated me, cos I cannot do wheel sweeps!! When wanting to sweep the pitch of 1 osc in a ring mod set up the ring mod is instantly detuned when the wheel is assigned. This really needs to be corrected.

3. the vocoder. okay those of you who read the mailing list probably remember my complaints here with phill earlier, a whimpering I abandoned... But I'll say it again- I am really disappointed in the vocoder. Its great for instrument vocoding, but complete shite for voice vocoding in my opinion. the reason is that EVEN WITH SIBILANCE LEVEL SET TO "00" and VOCODER BALANCE SET TO VOCODER ONLY (63) the dry modulator (the voice) is still audible. I have checked recordings and gotten
the opinion of others. The modulator is still audible. And when I want a vocoded voice I want ONLY the vocoded output. This means just the analyzed modulator superimposed on the carrier. this means NO dry voice should be audible. All my tests were done with all effects off.

BUT

This effect is even accentuated because the modulator is still being routed to the effects. What's the point of a vocoded signal when my delay and reverb decay is all wet modulator? There should be an option in the
effects/special menu/pass to effects
that is "vocoder only"- not just program only, because who wants to hear delay repeats of of vocoder/modulator mixed?

In a realted note, when choosing "input only" in the pass to effects menu, why does the vocoder sibilance level affect the frequency content of the audio input. Obviously vocoder sibilance level should affect the frequenecy content of the input going to the vocoder, but the should have no effect when running the input straight to the effects. this seems an internal pathway problem. When using the snv2 just for aux send effects the vocoder sibilance control should not even be inbetween the input and the effects, it should be something that can be INSERTED between the input and the effects.

4. Parallel filters- filter width is great, and i love manipulating the ratio of i cutoff freq to the other. But i also would like just a 2nd cutoff for parallel mode (a la virus). You should be able to select between cutoff 2 and filter width (the ratio of cutoff 2 to cutoff 1). Its obvious why you can't ahve both at the same time, but i'd like to be able to choose between them. Is this impossible to add to the menu?

5. In multitimbral mode, part poly off kills that part which is good id you only need to use a few parts and not all 8. However, in a keyboard with this extensive midi implementation, i'd love to see in the global menu: midi filter.
That way I can set what channels, ccs, messages etc. the snv2 will respond to, therefore the processor won't get bogged down filtering through detailed sequeneces. We can set what is transmitted in the external menu (PMBWAVS). Could we not have a receive menu in global that mirrors this?

6. Synth dream world- of only it had this or this... This is just pipe dream stuff  

- osc pan control for thick stereo pads

- 3 seperate filters for 3 seperate osc

- adding cross mod to the osc menu...

Anyway, let me know what you guys think!
Thanks! r.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             29-Sep-00  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: snv2kb suggestions/comments

CK

2. It sounds like your modulation wheel is not at zero when it is in the down position. You can check this in your sequencer, move it up and down and it should go to zero.

6. Cross modulation - FM as implemented on the SN2 acheives the same thing. You obviously ought to get your hands on a modular synth if you want a filter per oscillator! Maybe a Novation modular, now there's a thought.

I'd like to see keytracking on the LFOs, great for amplitude modulation.

Message 3/7             30-Sep-00  @  12:31 AM   -   RE: snv2kb suggestions/comments

CK

- osc pan control for thick stereo pads

Layer two pads in a performance and pan each one where you want them, acheives precisely the same effect.

I can't see that this instrument needs any new features.

Message 4/7             02-Oct-00  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: snv2kb suggestions/comments

ryanmcwhorter

ck-

good call on the mod wheel- looks like i
have a 5-127 value range...
i can't get it lower than that and it
usually hangs out around 7 or 8 when
pulled down...
the question is what to do about it--
any ideas?

as far as pan layers go, what you
suggested is the method i've been using
in performance mode, but it sure doesn't
beat the ease of panning individual
souces in a sampler/rompler...
just pipe dreaming  

my synthesis thinking was quite spoiled
by a summer of work on an arp 2500/2600
integrated system... that's where my
individual filter per osc dream came
from-

and for cross mod- well i don't really
use it much on my jupiter so that was
just talk anyway--

hey thanks for your

Message 5/7             06-Oct-00  @  12:02 AM   -   RE: snv2kb suggestions/comments

CK

I'd get in touch with Novation technical support, I suspect it will need to be repaired. I know that isn't what you wanted to here! but it's quite common to have problems with new gear and Novation are very efficient in my experience.

Message 6/7             06-Oct-00  @  02:44 AM   -   RE: snv2kb suggestions/comments

k

what is the midi loop situation on all this?... are we sure these arent usb or other midi port or thru or related to i/o stuff?.. i mean is it possible at all? cos i dont really understand wether this is with stuff wired up with thru's etc on sequencers

Message 7/7             06-Oct-00  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: snv2kb suggestions/comments

ryanmcwhorter

k-

all of my comments were observed with no midi communication- i.e. not plugged up, the synth only. i checked the mod wheel midi output after ck's suggestion running straight one way into my mc80 and looking at the midi script (micro events)--

r.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)