aaa Looking to complement my SN... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Looking to complement my SN...

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             21-Aug-00  @  08:08 AM   -   Looking to complement my SN...

Jeff

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi everyone,

The SN is great for bass, leads and pads. But i also want to use 'human voice like' sounds. I believe FM synthesis does just that. Can you recommend a synth? I would prefer to buy second hand. My guess would be to look for Yamaha gears (EX5, AN1x). I'd like to reproduce sounds like in 'The Age of Love'.

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

PS: I know the SN2 does FM synthesis but I can't afford it!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             21-Aug-00  @  01:36 PM   -   RE: Looking to complement my SN...

chris

Link?: Link

I'd recommend you get a sampler to complement your SN, that way you can use *real* sampled human voices.

Seriously, if you don't have one - a sampler is a great complement to a VA like the SN (I use an Emu E5000 Ultra with my SN)

Message 3/7             21-Aug-00  @  01:56 PM   -   RE: Looking to complement my SN...

r-tek

yeah, smapler. If it *has* to be another synth or if you already have a smapler. then look no further than the mighty yam fs1r my friend - yum. Thats the uberlord of fm/fs synthesis, if you wanna save a lot of dough, then howsabout a Yam tx81z - pick one up for 80-100 squids and they`re still very capable pieces if you`re prepared to learn how they work.

Message 4/7             22-Aug-00  @  05:50 AM   -   RE: Looking to complement my SN...

plasticandi

get a sampler seems to be the answer to every problem..
if you want to stick with synths, however:
i donīt see how fm synthesis is specialy capable of producing choirs and human voices; owning a dx7 i never heard a realistic patch of that kind;
fm is great for all bell- and electric piano-voices; also for nice basses and very 80s sounding brass patches.
i also own a korg m1, which does have very nice choirs and human voice patches; it is also very good for all kind of pads and even evolving wavestationish kind of sounds.
i also heard good choirs from the roland d-50.
the m1 and the d-50 are bouth cheap and really nice s/h buys.
you could also use a software sampler (reaktor, ds-1, ex24), which are a lot chaeaper than hardware samplers.
i use reaktor with some beachboys samples for background vox.

Message 5/7             22-Aug-00  @  06:47 AM   -   RE: Looking to complement my SN...

Jeff

Thanks to all. I will consider a sampler as I don't own one yet. I would rather get it second hand. The F1SR is new I think, and probably well over my budget. I'll look at the tx81z, m1 and D-50 (althougth I already own a D-20 and it is not a great synth).

Cheers,

Jeff

Message 6/7             22-Aug-00  @  07:38 AM   -   RE: Looking to complement my SN...

Jeff

Sorry R-tek, somehow I was mixing up the Roland VP-9000 "VariPhrase" with the FS1R (?!).

In fact, the FS1R seems to be very good from what I have read. Sitar wrote a review on the the FS1R (very positive). How much are they second-hand these days?

Message 7/7             22-Aug-00  @  08:06 AM   -   RE: Looking to complement my SN...

r-tek

the FM/FS series were actually designed with speech-synthesis capabilities plasti. Unfortunately, this was only a selling point in Japan due to the nature of the language meant it was a whole lot easier to reproduce. I`ve actually heard quite a few FS owners commenting on how it can produce vocal-like timbres when pushed.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)