aaa Got my hands on a Q - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Got my hands on a Q

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             17-Jul-00  @  12:50 PM   -   Got my hands on a Q

99devils

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Well, a bright yellow Q showed up today at guitar center. I only got to play with it for 1/2 hour, but I got a little idea of it's character and architecture...

People are always asking "Q vs. Virus vs. Nord vs...", well here it is:

The Q is fat. Real fat. Huge sounding... The filters are a bit, umm, rounder and softer than the filters in the Virus or the Nord. The architecture is extremely flexible, and very deep. Arpeggiator was excellent, FX sounded decent too. Definately not as hard as a Virus, but not flabby like the JP. A fairly unique character which sounds kind of middle-of-the-road compared to other VAs (ie not hard, not soft), but very warm and thick. I could see you having problems getting this synth to sit well in a busy mix because it's so fat.

Dislikes? I thought too much functionality was buried in the menus. With the NL everything is on the panel, and with the Virus you have access to most of the analog necessities from the panel. And I didn't like the rotaries, especially the ones you'd twiddle realtime, like cutoff. Seemed to take too much twisting to get a dramatic sweep.

So would I trade my Virus for it? No, but it'd compliment a Virus very well, or a Nord. If you've got a JP8000, sell it and get one. I think it's sound is too similar to the Nova to own both, but to my ears the Nova sounds more plasticky.

Another note: I don't think the keyboard version is worth the money. GC wanted $2699 for it, which I think is fucking outrageous. The keyboard felt somewhat generic, although the aftertouch felt good. I'm sure it's not worth the $1000 premium over the rack.

-Craig

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             17-Jul-00  @  02:11 PM   -   RE: Got my hands on a Q

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Something to keep in mind is that the knobs are velocity sensitive, so if you twisted them slowly, it's no wonder you thought it was too much. You give them a quick twist, and they jump. Did you mess with the Drive function on the filters at all? Warm and fuzzy to NASTY is all I can say. Good shit. I'm hoping that in one of the OS upgrades, Waldorf adds 18db/octave filters. This software upgradeable OS shit is too cool. Q rocks.

Ape

Message 3/7             17-Jul-00  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: Got my hands on a Q

99devils

I didn't get the chance to really delve into it... My first impression was that it was warm and fat, and also very deep, as in so deep I couldn't really dig in without spending days at the controls.

I did not know that the knobs are velo sensitive. That's kind of a cool concept. I'll have to check it out again. Didn't check out the drive control either.

I think your assessment of the Q is spot on - anyone who doesn't take a long time to get to know it intimately would be better off elsewhere. For those who want something that's going to stay interesting for a long time, and have the perseverance to not give up, the Q should reward.

I wouldn't sell anything I own to get it, but if I'm ever in the market for another VA a Q Rack is the only one I'd look at.

-Craig

Message 4/7             27-Jul-00  @  06:59 AM   -   RE: Got my hands on a Q

Pongoid

Smart. Going to hear how it sounds through 60,000+ watts in the coming days. Will let you know.

Ape

Message 5/7             27-Jul-00  @  07:16 AM   -   RE: Got my hands on a Q

99devils

I would love to see some kind of subjective comparison of the VAs on a huge system. I would think it's the acid test of great sound.

-Craig

Message 6/7             02-Aug-00  @  07:21 AM   -   RE: Got my hands on a Q

Pongoid

Words do not do justice. Big, fat, stinky, greasy, clean, solid, tight, bad as fuck, nasty as ya wanna be. Just mind blowing. Yup, that's what it was on 60,000+ watts. Nothing like it. All smiles.

Ape

Message 7/7             02-Aug-00  @  08:22 AM   -   RE: Got my hands on a Q

99devils

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)