aaa To self - Oscillate.. - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: To self - Oscillate..

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 29-Oct-00  @  12:27 AM   -   To self - Oscillate.. newbie question

metaphy99

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Every couple of weeks I see someone use the terminology self-oscillation. What is self-oscillation? Why do people speak of it like it's real special, is this something I should want to do? Does Waldorf , Nord, and Nova do it? Does the Virus B do it????

Evar

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 61/75             14-Nov-00  @  12:03 AM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

boomer

the virus filter will self osc even noise = 0, at least mine does

Message 62/75             14-Nov-00  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

Jasper

try this speaker shredding sound. res=full, filter=around the sub to normal mark. now set unison on and switch off that limiter.

all volumes=full

goooooodby speakers.

Message 63/75             14-Nov-00  @  05:18 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

r-tek

he he, one of my monitors makes a crackling sound sometime now after doing summing simialr on my mw1. The only sound ever that my sampler hasn`t been able to do justice.

Message 64/75             14-Nov-00  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

boomer

hehehehe (speakers)

Message 65/75             16-Nov-00  @  11:23 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

trypt

Your Virus can self-oscillate with osc volume
all the way down and noise set to zero?
How!?!?!? I'm one of three people I know
who have one and none can do that. even
with the noise set to 1 it's weak as hell and
the noise can still be heard. What is it that
you're doing differently?

Message 66/75             17-Nov-00  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

boomer

HELLO trypy. Still trypting after all these days eh? The guy defines the sine wave in filter as self oscillating, the conventional way. Wake up! That no sigal is passed and the filter still can self oscillate doesn't define a self oscillating filter! The sine wave in filter does.

Message 67/75             19-Nov-00  @  06:15 AM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

nothingnewhere

wrong again boomer.

if it can make the sine, then it is oscilating, with no input, it is SELF-oscilating...

...self...

think about it

Message 68/75             19-Nov-00  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

99devils

My Virus A does not produce sound when the Osc volume is all the way down and resonance is at 127...

-Craig

Message 69/75             20-Nov-00  @  01:51 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

boomer

Alright, anybody who thinks selfosc is the matter of no signal should try this...

Rewrite this phrase in less than two words.

"the sound that sounds like a sine wave when resonance is turned up high"

Message 70/75             20-Nov-00  @  07:19 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

r-tek

no need to rewrite the phrase as the concept is simple - if the filter cannot self-oscillate when there is no signal passing through it, then it does not self-oscillate. Resonance emphasises the frequencies just below the cutoff point yes? So, if when you jack the rez whilst sounds are passing through you`ll get a howling/whistling/hamster farting through a peashooter(akai filter) sound - that ISNT the filter self oscillating, its the filter accentuating those frequencies that are being provided by the oscillators etc. , it isn`t doing it by itself.........which, come to think of it does help to explain self-oscillation in 2 words: "self" and "oscillation". Explains it quite well, I think.

I`m disappointed in myself that I even got involved.

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 75 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)