aaa tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 27-Apr-00  @  08:13 PM   -   tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cristina

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Guys I have been looking at different synths and they all seem to have that tb-303 sound and then some. They have effects,tweaking of sounds and arpeggiator functions that make the tb-303 seem a little obsolete to me. Not to mention that pricewise the tb-303 can get a little ridiculous. Mind you I don't own a tb-303 thats why I am posting this question. I am looking hard at a novation nova synth module.
what gives?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 61/75             22-May-00  @  09:19 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

Maybe you should look into a Roland Juno 106. You can get them mint for usually $400 - $500. I picked mine up for $250 mint except one voice is out. They have really nice strings and pads, thats what they are famous for. Not too sure about piano sounds, maybe you can get some piano sounds after a little practice. The Juno 106 also has the smoothest bass ever! After all...the Juno 106 is probably the most used synth in the world.

~Pete

Message 62/75             22-May-00  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

Link?: Link

I agree...the whole time we weren't considering analogue pieces. The Juno-106 is pretty dope...it's like a cut down version of the JP-8000, but with a lot of power. Only problem is depending on what production line your unit is from, the IC's might break, and you loose voices like Pete.

Message 63/75             22-May-00  @  04:25 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

oldskool

Or you may want to look at a JX8p or MKS70 with PG800 programmer, cheap, huge sound, very versatile. I have both and they are always useful for bass\strings\pads\weirdness\hoover sounds etc,etc. A much better bet than a JP8000 IMHO  

Message 64/75             22-May-00  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Which of those is MIDI-controlled, and do any of them have internal seq's? The price range for those synths is right up my alley...$100-200 for the latter, about $350 for the Juno 106.

And, to anyone who has a 777: I am under the impression that they can do some drums. Is this right? How good are the drums the 777 puts out?

-Nick

Message 65/75             23-May-00  @  10:05 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

I think all the synths names above are MIDI controlled. None of them have sequencers. Most analog synths don't. The voices on the Juno can be fixed for around $40 - $50 so I've heard...and hope.

As for the 777, hell yeah, you can get some wicked kicks and snares out of the 777. I can make some audio files today. I'll add 'em on my site so you can check 'em out. I got this kick out of it and all I can say about it is "HOLY SHIT!"

~Pete

Message 66/75             23-May-00  @  12:37 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Thanks ReZo,

As for the audio files, I'll look for those. Can't check now though, I'm on a tight lunch break. Can you have a synth line going at the same time as the drums? That'd kick some serious ass. Can't wait for the audio,

-Nick

Message 67/75             23-May-00  @  08:01 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

No, you can't cause its a monosynth, only one part. However, you can sequence one of the oscillators with an external sequencer with using CV to make the 777 like a two part synth but that might be getting a bit technical for a newbie.

~Pete

Message 68/75             23-May-00  @  08:41 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

CV controls how the knobs are turned, yes? I understand the rest, but when people start talking about CV and Gate, my eyes start to rotate in spirals.

And hell yes, that'd be too technical for me  

-Nick

Message 69/75             25-May-00  @  01:24 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

sblue

Nice to find a site w/ some true grooveheads....i gotta say that i love my 303....i run it through my rocktron voodu valve and the thing just howls like it's alive....

....i'm currently syncing it w/ my novation drum station and that works out pretty damn well.....

...so far as i can tell....nothing comes all that close to truly sounding like an actual 303.....but i haven't wasted too much time comparing....why bother if you already have one 

has anybody here used peavey/cakewalk studio mix? it looked and sounded pretty cool and i just bought a brand new studio mix in the box for about 435 on ebay.......

....anybody used it?

Peace

Message 70/75             27-May-00  @  01:35 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

programa

Selling excellent condition TR 606
and TB 303 with manuals, covers,
and sync cable, $1000 for the pair.

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 75 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)