aaa tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Viewing all 75 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

Original Message 1/75             27-Apr-00  @  08:13 PM   -   tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cristina

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Guys I have been looking at different synths and they all seem to have that tb-303 sound and then some. They have effects,tweaking of sounds and arpeggiator functions that make the tb-303 seem a little obsolete to me. Not to mention that pricewise the tb-303 can get a little ridiculous. Mind you I don't own a tb-303 thats why I am posting this question. I am looking hard at a novation nova synth module.
what gives?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/75             28-Apr-00  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

oldskool

Buy a 303 instead of the Nova, then if you can't tell why the 303 is better sell it and get the Nova   I own both and I'd sell my Nova rather than my TB any day. The Nova is cool and does some nice noizes including some ok 303 stuff but it ain't never gonna replace a TB. peaceout

Message 3/75             29-Apr-00  @  02:41 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

k

you gotta experience it trippin to understand

Message 4/75             29-Apr-00  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

oldskool

He he K, damn right! One of the things in my life I will always remember is one summer night in 89, me and Arron tripping out of our bonces in a field sans TB303 and walkman speakers looking up at the stars, tweaking the TB, fucking magic. Some kid comes over and asks what we're doing and Arron goes "it's an acid machine" this kid looks puzzled and walks off, we was laughing for fucking ages, kid must of though we were nutters!

Message 5/75             29-Apr-00  @  10:03 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

Link?:  Link

Just remember...you can easily get the SOUND of a 303. I've perfected the sound and envelope on a dime on my Korg Prophecy, but the thing is if you want 303 sounding patterns you need the sequencer. And the only way you're gonna get that is if you have a real TB-303 or ReBirth or some good analogue type sequencer which can handle a good portamento and velocity changes. I've used Seq-303 but it's not the greatest for the slides and such...depends on the patch you're using.

Message 6/75             04-May-00  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

schlutz

fuck no,,, noone can replace the 303. it is my baby and i molest it everynight. if youre asking what is so good about the 303, think why there is a whole hundreds of web sites dedicated to this little engineering MASTERPIECE! It is the shit... acid or no acid on the brain, this thing can make you feel diagonal at the best of times

Message 7/75             08-May-00  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Link?: Link

Hey guys,

I just found this board. I started making electronic music a few months ago, not knowing what the heck I was doing (hell...I still don't), and I came upon the 303 stuff.

The 303 looks cool, but my gripe is that it sounds too dry...too mario brothers. I really dig the sound once a delay is put it, or once a background is mixed in, but otherwise, what's the big deal? There must be something I'm missing. I feel the same way about ReBirth (I have ReBirth, but no 303), it only gets going once you add a delay or something. I'd really like to get a 303 or a TR-606, but I want to be sure it's something I could actually use (and LIVE would be good). ANy help would be rad,

-Nick

Message 8/75             09-May-00  @  04:50 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Maarten

Rebirth is good comparison, if you dislike- don't get a real 303....
Oh , I am not of the agressive type , but f%#@ng "mario brothers"?? , you must be insane !Why place that comment first and then say "I'd really like to get a 303 "? BTW ,I dislike Nintendo...

Message 9/75             09-May-00  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Sorry for the Mario Brothers comment. I didn't explain it well enough. What I meant was, I've heard some dry TB-303 lines, set at factory original (like the "Acoustic Bass" setting), and not tweaked at all, left at a boring loop. This reminded me of Mario Bros. However, I really do love the 303's sound, and now that I'm aware of its uniqueness, I'm noticing it in a lot of old songs. Prodigy's stuff, for one.

I have a few more questions, and they're going to sound very ignorant, and newbie. They are, but please don't flame me  

Sync24 referrs to a system whereby all the MIDI instruments are performing on the same beat, correct (like it works in ReBirth)? Is it also called the "MIDI clock?"

Is there a mixer out there with built-in effects? Do most mixers operate on Sync24?

Would a typical setup for an electronic artist be: Mixer, 1-2 Synths, 1-2 Drumsmachines, Groovebox, 1-2 Bassline, Effects processors?

I'm really trying to get a feel for how I should jump into this. I've just dipped my feet into this vast pool, check out my stuff if you want to know exactly how newbie I am (don't flame me for that either, please)! Any help you can give would be very appreciated.

-Nick

Message 10/75             10-May-00  @  05:22 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Maarten

The Mario thingy I understand now somewhat ;)....
To sync you'll probably need a additional box, I use a Phillip Rees sync24 with a midi thru, works well for me.There are numerous.(Kenton has many different models aswell.
Nice thing if you have no drumcomputer yet you might wanna look into a Novation drumstation V2 , it contains a syncing facility on-board.
I know of no mixers with this possibilty intergrated , but there're probably out there ,somewhere....
The setup you mention is ,globaly ,quite complete , I do with much less. A sampler would be nice , it's the only thing next to a hardware sequencer I myself am missing.

Hope this helps,
-M-

Message 11/75             10-May-00  @  06:28 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

Best MIDI-Synch-Converter box is the Doepfer MSY-2. It's only
about $90.00 USD, comes with a MIDI IN, THRU, and two SYNCH outputs.

Message 12/75             11-May-00  @  12:24 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Thanks for all the help!

I have no drumsmachine yet. Just the good old CS2x, a computer, and a shitload of loops and drumlines in my head that are begging to hit a TB-303! It's not the best synth, but it has a few nice voices. Can the Novation have patterns changed on the fly, while playing? What I may do is get a Novation drumstation, and trigger it with the TR-505, allowing on-the-fly change.

The MIDI IN/OUT/THRU thing is confusing to me. Where would the IN come from, where would the OUT go, and what the @#$% is THRU? Again, I apologize for asking such dumb questions, but I'd really like to pass the lingo barrier before I start making some good music.

Since I'm on a limited budget, what would you recommend to me? Assuming I'm happy with my synth, I need a mixer (not more than 10 channels for sure, I won't be having more than like four things going into it), drums (how much is the novation V2?), effects, and definitely a 303 (I'm really taking to some samples I'm hearing). Maybe if I cash in enough this summer, I'll be able to afford the Devil Fish mod. That allows Sync24 and a myriad of other goodies, right? I should be good for awhile with this kind of setup, until I decide I need more drums, synth sounds, etc. Then I guess I'll trade in the CS2x for something else, and get something cool (TR-909, anyone?), if I can find anything.

-Nick

Message 13/75             11-May-00  @  06:29 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Maarten

Not that I don't feel like explaining but if you look to the top-left of your screen there's the "dance selector" =>choose articles and do some searching.
There's lots of explinations and basic information on MIDI etc.
Drumstation is +/- $650-700, no need for a original TR-909 once you have it ...unless you're one of those two who won like $200.000.000,- this week. In that case I would have an early christmas list for ya  .
You could also go for Korg's ER-1 but that's minus the syncing.

-M-

Message 14/75             11-May-00  @  09:42 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

Actually, just to cheer ya up, Drum Stations are not that expensive. I picked mine up for $335 US. I love it! I sold my Quasimidi Rave-O-lution 309 to buy it and I don't regret it like I thought I would. I also picked up an ER-1 for $300 a while back. The Drum Station and the ER-1 are the 2 dopest drum machines out there since the original xox stuff and for the prices, shit, you can't go wrong!

Pete

Message 15/75             11-May-00  @  11:52 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

TRminator

The Drumstation is not a drummachine!!

Message 16/75             11-May-00  @  04:27 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

What is it then?

Message 17/75             11-May-00  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

I think he means that it has no onboard sequencer. Just get the
Korg ER-1 if you're starting out. If you need the extra 909 sounds,
just use ReBirth (for the toms, rim shots, ride cymbal...). Then if
you really want pure 909 and 808 sounds, get the Novation
Drum Station. You can sequence it with the ER-1, it works beautifullly.

With regards to your MIDI question...MIDI IN receives incoming MIDI Data, MIDI OUT exports MIDI data from the device, and MIDI THRU passes MIDI data out that is coming into the device. This is used to synch multiple pieces of gear in the same MIDI chain, but it is recommended to keep the number of devices in a chain below 5. Example, in my setup I have master MIDI Clock coming from my Korg ER-1, it then OUTPUTS to the Doepfer MSY2 which sends synch24 to my TB-303 and TR-606. Then the THRU is passed to my Korg Prophecy, and passed THRU to my JP-8000. It's that simple. You just have to get your IN's and OUT's down pat.

Message 18/75             12-May-00  @  02:22 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Maarten

Pete,

Don't tell me you got it new for $335, as far as I can remember they're like 13-1400 dutch guilders.That's dubbel!

-M-

Message 19/75             12-May-00  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

oh...no. Sorry, my bad. I bought it used. I wasn't thinking...your right, thats what they go for new. Shit, I didn't even know that you can still buy 'em new. I haven't seen any new around here in the San Francisco bay area. But then again, I don't get out much either.

I must add that the Drum Station is worth every penny.

~Pete

Message 20/75             12-May-00  @  03:53 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Ok, but here's what I don't get...if you want your drums to play one thing, but you want the JP-8000, or something else down the line to play something completely different (and still be sequenced, and in time with the clock), what do you do?

Message 21/75             13-May-00  @  12:05 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

Cocomox,

It's all about MIDI sequencing and MIDI clock. Take this setup for example, it's part of what I have. You have the computer as the MIDI sequencer, Korg ER-1 for drums and JP-8000 as your main synth. You sequence a JP-8000 pattern into the sequencer to MIDI channel 1. Set the Korg ER-1 to MIDI channel 2. Send out MIDI clock from the sequencer to MIDI channel 2. When you press play on the sequencer (Cakewalk, Cubase, or Logic Audio, for example), the JP-8000 pattern and onboard sequencer of the Korg ER-1 will begin to play, all in synch at the appropriate BPM.

Message 22/75             13-May-00  @  12:09 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

Well, if they both have sequencers, which the ER-1 does and the JP sort of does if you count the "RPS" or whatever its called as a sequencer, just take the MIDI "OUT" from whatever you want to be the master, say the ER-1, then run it to the "IN" on the JP-8000. Make sure that you set the ER-1 and the JP to run on thier own internal sequencer. They're usually already set unless you change it yourself. You can do that on the ER by pressing the "Global" button and then press the buttons with the arrows till it lights up "Clock" and use the knob to set it to "int". I'm not sure how to set it up on the JP cause I've never used one before but I'm sure its not too hard. Just hit the play button on the ER-1 and BAM! There you go! It's that simple.

I hope I explained that right. C'mon people...help me make it sound more simple.

Pete

Message 23/75             13-May-00  @  01:14 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Ok, I think I'm getting it. So in setup 1 (pidicelli), the computer is the master, and in setup 2, the ER-1 is, correct? Does it really matter what your master is? Unless one has better sequencing capabilities?

Thanks for all the help, everyone, and the patience  

Is the 777 really an *EXACT* emulation of the 303, or is it just close (like the TeeBee)? I'm really looking into one, just curious if it's as good as they say.

-Nick

Message 24/75             13-May-00  @  05:17 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

Pete,

Ya made a bit of a mistake. If you have an ER-1 setup and the JP-8000 running off of the RPS, the ER-1 must be set to INTERNAL CLOCK and JP-8000 set to EXTERNAL (being controlled by the JP-8000). Strike a JP-8000 RPS sequence, press play and stop on the ER-1, and the next time you press play on the ER-1, the ER-1 and JP-8000 will play in perfect synch.

Message 25/75             13-May-00  @  05:18 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

(being controlled by the ER-1)....fucking tabarnak....my bad.

Message 26/75             14-May-00  @  12:20 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Damn, now I really want some MIDI equipment.

Are there any good drumsmachines out there that have a tabletop setup (like the classics, 606, 808, 909), but won't cost me an arm and a leg?

-Nick

Message 27/75             14-May-00  @  09:48 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

Pedicelli, your right, my bad. Sorry about that.

About the a good table top drum machine...without a doubt, the greatest table top drum machine for the money is the ER-1. You can get 808, 909, and 606 kicks out of it plus it has a 909ish open hat and crash and an 808ish closed hat and clap. It's the greatest drum machine since the x0x's.

Pete

Message 28/75             14-May-00  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

I have to agree with Pete. The best bang for your buck is the ER-1. Novation Bass Station is good too, but only emulates 909 and 808, is a bit more expensive, and lacks the onboard sequencer like the ER-1 has.

You might also wanna consider new the Korg ES-1. It's like the ER-1, except it's a drum based sampler with the same kind of onboard sequencer, and on top of that it has filters.

Message 29/75             14-May-00  @  10:53 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Perfect, that's just what I wanted to hear. Thanks  

And since I have no pre-MIDI equipment (yet), I have no need for the Drum Station's onboard sync, right?

Can any of these machines do snare rolls? I want to be able to do stuff like on Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up," there's a roll right before the first time the major loop starts. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I think it was tweaked out a bit, but still a roll.

-Nick

Message 30/75             14-May-00  @  12:20 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

Yeah, you can do snare rolls on the ER-1 but I must tell you that the snares on the ER-1 arn't that great. I think thats the only thing that the ER lacks. I mean, you can get some ok snares that are very 808ish but its hard to get a good 909 type snare out of it. It sounds like you want some Drum & Bass type snares...well there are some pretty good Drum & Bass presets that you can use the snares from. There are some useful ones but it's still very limited when it comes to snares.

Pete

Message 31/75             14-May-00  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Damn...snares are my favorite drum...after kickdrums. Does it have a nice kickdrum? I do like Drum & Bass (if it's done well...it's the most commonly butchered electronic music I've found yet), but Trance is my true favorite. Do you think I'll be able to get some trancy drum loops out of it?

That being said, I'm trying to decide what to spend a good chunk of cash on. Considering that my current equipment consists of a CS2x, ReBirth, and a sound card, should I get:

JP-8000
TB-303
Future-Retro 777
ER-1
Drum Station
TR-x0x

Or what? I'm trying to stay under $800, and most of those fall into that category, or right around it. Thanks,

-Nick

Message 32/75             14-May-00  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Subtex

you should check out the jomox x-base 9 or the airbase both really cool analog drum kits the x-base is a full fledged drum machine and you can also use it to sequence external synths..

Message 33/75             15-May-00  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Crap...that jomox is a little too rich for me. The ER-1 is looking like something I can afford a little better. What are the advantages of the x-base to the ER-1?

-Nick

Message 34/75             15-May-00  @  05:10 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

909 Inc.

The Jomox 09 is fukin awesome.

808,909,weird 808/909 kicks that KO
your frekin subs... freaked hats.. tons
of sounds, knob movement
recording, patterns can be chained to
64 notes (16 x4) like the ER-1. Full
midi, cc data and fukin DIN SYNC!
what else? Nice wooden sides
850$ not bad.

My drumstation is outta here!

This and the ER-1 are the best drum
machines out there right now.

Message 35/75             15-May-00  @  11:41 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

R

There are some information about the XBase09 on my site. Check it out.

Message 36/75             15-May-00  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Ok, so the ER-1 and the Jomox are the nice drums now...are the differences between the Jomox and the ER-1 so great that the $450 price difference is worth it? I don't really need the best there is, just something to kick out some good drums for me.

Now, new question. Is the FutureRetro 777 an exact emulation of the TB-303? I'm probably going to buy the ER-1, the 777, and then that'll be it for awhile. If the 777 isn't good enough 303 sound, I'll have to get a real 303 instead. Any thoughts?

-Nick

Message 37/75             15-May-00  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

R

YES!!! THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE XBASE and ER-1 ARE WORTH $450!!!!
Believe me ;)

Message 38/75             15-May-00  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

The 777 does do a pretty good 303...not exact but pretty good. The accent on the 777 is a bit different than the one on the 303. The sound is pretty damn close though. Nothing can perfectly recreate the 303 so if you just want the 303 sound, get a real TB-303, but if you want something that can give you the 303 sound and a hell of alot more, than get a 777. I have both and I have to admit that they make a perfect couple. Check out my website for some info, reviews, and real audio demos of the 777. Click on Future Retro.

Pete

http://high-society.homepage.com

Message 39/75             15-May-00  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

If you're looking to buy a polysynth, you can't go wrong with the JP-8000. But that alone will cost you $800.00 - $900.00 USD.

Message 40/75             15-May-00  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Thanks for all the help! R@F, ReZo, etc, thanks for the links. I put myself on the waiting list for the 777, my number should be up in 6 weeks.

I just can't spend so much for drums. I'm more concerned with my synth right now, and the 777 seems to be awesome for the money. Does the JP-8000 have any pads, or strings, or anything like that, or just regular waveforms?

I guess my setup will be to use the 777 as my main synth, get the ER-1 for drums, and the CS2x as my backup/strings/pads synth? Does this sound like something I could get going with? What would I need in terms of effects processors or a mixer? I just need something cheap, but will do the job. Later,

-Nick

Message 41/75             16-May-00  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

909 Inc.

Nick,

Sounds like a great setup! I probably
would add a sampler at some time,
something like the EMU esi-32 or
even a older Akai (both in the sub
400 range if look around)
If say the ER-1 does not give you
good snares, just get some samples
off the net and load them up in the
sampler, or if you want your crashes
on the er-1 to keep decaying and not
get cutoff by the clap, just sample the
crash. The sampler is a very useful
tool. The new Korg ES-1 seems
interesting too.

For a decent mixer at a great price,
check out the new Behringers.
Mackies are nicer but like 50% more
expensive.

For effects, maybe pick up a used
Alesis Wedge or a Digitech Studio
Quad.

A great track going though a cheap
mixer is still a great track. A shity
track going through a expensive
mixer is still shite! =)

Later.

909 Inc.

Message 42/75             16-May-00  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Thanks 909! I especially like the advice at the end   It gives me hope.

I'm really looking forward to jamming with all this new stuff. Maybe even do a small live gig! That'd be a dream come true...

Should I go with a mixer, or a multitrack recorder? I just want to add one piece to the above setup (CS2x, 777, ER-1) so that I will be able to do both live and studio recording. What to do?

-Nick

Message 43/75             16-May-00  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

oldskool

I recommend you go with a mixer rather than a multitracker, a mixer is way more flexible. If you go for a mid price one (Behringer, Spirit, etc) you get very good sound quality compared to the mixer on a multitracker. Also you can change your mastering medium easier, and if you get a good, say 12 channel mixer, you can keep it for use as a sub mixer when you make it big with that Neve Capricorn 96 channel jobbie!

Message 44/75             16-May-00  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

oldskool

909 Inc, very stylish website! Nice ideas dude, that tracklist nutritional info thing is well cool, didn't have time to D/L any tunes yet but will soon.

BTW - Midi'ed Speak'n'Spell? Tell me more!

Message 45/75             16-May-00  @  08:57 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

Cocomox....does the JP-8000 have pads and strings? Man, are
you on crack?!??! The JP-8000 is the MOTHER of all synths for making pads and strings. One of the oscillators is a Super Saw; it's 7 mixed saw waves which uses only one voice of polyphony...it's perfect for making pads. If you have listened to Scooter's last two albums or any Paul Oakenfold trance stuff, you should know the sound.

For your mixer, I recommend the Behringer MX602A. It's got 2 stereo channels, and 4 monos. 3 band EQ too. Only $100.00 USD.

Message 46/75             16-May-00  @  11:02 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Pedicelli: Yes, I AM on crack, so what?

Just kidding. Sorry, I knew nothing about the jp-8000. I'll have to make that my sext synth...or maybe sell the CS2x...

Woah, that's like...the perfect mixer for me! Is there one with 3 stereo channels though? Or, like 4-6 (for when I expand my equipment)? The price is perfect though. I'll have to check on zZounds.com -- is that a good site? I used it as a lower price, so guitar center gave me the CS2x for like $530. It was rad.

-Nick

Message 47/75             16-May-00  @  11:24 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Actually, where can I get that MX602A? I just checked out the Gemeni PDM14, seems like something I could use...but no eq. Does the MX602A have individual eq, or one master? I'd like to get one with three stereo inputs, a couple mono, a mic or two, and individual eqs for the stereo, if possible. I know this is asking for something really specific, but if you guys have anything in mind, let me know!

-Nick

Message 48/75             16-May-00  @  11:45 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

909 Inc.

The MX-602A , looks like four
channel strips (two mono and two
stereo), 3 band eq, two mic
preamps. Tape in/out Aux send for
effects, pan.

I would personally get the one up at
least (the MX802A) it has 8 channel
strips ( four mono and two stereo).
You will find yourself running out of
channels quickly, trust me.

Go to americanmusical.com and ask
for a free catalog, also musician's
friend has catalogs, just search and
ask for a catalog.
There's nothing like takin' a shite and
looking for your next gear purchase
=)

Oh yeah, try behringer.com or
something.

Oldschool, thanks for the good word!
My speak and spell is not modified
and rackmounted, sorry. I might do
that someday. I did use it in the track
titled "lsd parts 1&2" though.

-909 Inc.

Message 49/75             17-May-00  @  12:29 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Thanks, 909! Where's your site??

And why is everyone so tripped up on speak N spell now? Cheap-ass vocoding? I have one of them...are they now worth countless hundreds of dollars like the 303? I am getting dollar symbols in my eyes....  

J/k...anyway, which piece should I get first, the JP, the ER, or the FR? I'm thinking the FR comes first, then the ER, and finally the JP...when I get some more cash. Sound good? Is there anything else I'm missing? I don't think I need to get great monitors right now...do I need amps or something?

-Nick

Message 50/75             17-May-00  @  01:23 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

909 Inc.

Go to Goodwill or a swap meet and
pick up some cheap ass Sony
receiver and some decent looking
speakers that fit on your desk, try to
get it all for a deal. I still use a Sony
receiver I got at a salvation army like
6 years ago.
Cambridge soundworks (hifi.com)
have this three piece system with a
sub for 50 bucks, these fuckers
sound great!, not too good very loud
because the sub sounds very
muddy, but at normal close up lever
at a moderate volume, they sound
great! and have built in amps.

Speak and Spells are nice because
you can usually get them cheap and
are fun to experiment. I'm actually
looking for a speak and math.

I think I would get the ER first, this
will allow you to build drum patterns
first and then put synth
lines/samples/whatever over it first.
Good drum programming is
important, try de-constructing the
presets to see how they were made,
then make your own.

-909 Inc.

Message 51/75             17-May-00  @  10:46 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Speak N Math...hm, I have one of those too, I think. Are they gray? I remember the old Speak and Spell, from like, '89 or something, and then a gray one some time later.

Doesn't the 777 do some drums? I'm itching for some nice drums...but also for some good 303 and synth...

I just wish I had the cash to buy them all at once!

Pedicelli: badass pics of you and the 303   I like the one of you eating it. Is it fun to sit on the ground, programming loops and tweaking the hell out of them? I imagine that would be so fun...just to sit there making the loops...but alas, no cash for a 303. Where did you get yours???

Did any of you guys find them for under $500??

-Nick

Message 52/75             18-May-00  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

I found my TB-303 advertised in the classified adds on Sonic State for $700.00 USD mint. It was a guy from British Columbia (Canada) selling it. You gotta obsessively check those adds for good deals. I've bought all of my equipment except for my Doepfer convert and mixer from there.

As for my mixer, I bought it from my local music shop, but I think you can also order straight from Behringer, I'm not sure.

Personally, I would sell the CS2x. That's a PCM based synth, right? PCM samples for synthesizers suck ass. Weak filters, and weak sonic possibilities. I would get the JP-8000 first. That would broaden your sound spectrum and give you a good introduction to subtractive synthesis. Then get the ER-1 for your drums, then finally add a monosynth with built in 16 step sequencer (TB-303, FR-777). Or, if you're really into minimal techno, get the ER-1 and a monosynth.
When I first started out, I had nothing but a Roland MCR-8 and ReBirth. Then I added the Prophecy to my setup, moved onto the ER-1, TR-606, JP-8000, TR-606 tonal mods and individual outputs, and finally the TB-303.

Message 53/75             18-May-00  @  06:40 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Ok, out she goes. I'll see if I can get store credit for the CS2x...

In with the ER-1, MX602A, and sometime in the future, the JP-8000. Distant future...303 or 777? I'll be floating around with no synth for awhile, I guess. Sad. Pedecelli, I noticed this setup is a part of your larger one. I appreciate all the advice, and hope I can turn out some decent stuff. The MX602 is only $80 on musician.com, and I'll get the ER-1 from Guitar Center...if they sell it.

I'm pretty damn stoked to get all this. Is there anywhere I can get a hardware seq that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I might just use the comp, but it'd be nice to be QWERTY-free.

-Nick

Message 54/75             18-May-00  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

Forget hardware sequencers, just get your hands on either Cubase VST, Cakewalk, or Logic Audio. Also get Sonic Foundry Acid, because it's more usefull to wave sequence since you can get more parts out of your gear. You can also get Seq-303 by techno toys, it's a software piece which emulates classic 16 step analogue sequencers. You can ever export the sequences as MIDI files.

Message 55/75             20-May-00  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

dsb

if you can find one you might want to consider the an1x rather than the jp. there cheaper and have a more extensive architechture and modulation capabilities.

Message 56/75             20-May-00  @  02:03 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Thanks, dsb.

I haven't bought anything yet, still making sure that what I'm looking at will fit my needs. I'll most likely go with the ER-1, some time next week, then see about a polysynth. Then, the mighty monosynth!

-Nick

Message 57/75             21-May-00  @  10:00 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Druma

haveing a tb in your music is like making a movie whith a star actor in it!, to me it justifies the silly s/h price of the silver box..the TB is a star!

Message 58/75             21-May-00  @  02:58 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

Well said!

~Pete

Message 59/75             21-May-00  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

The Yamaha AN1x is just as extensive as the Korg Prophecy. Only problem is you have to learn FM synthesis and deal with their vectorial morphing....

Message 60/75             21-May-00  @  09:21 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Of the following, which would be the best to go with a FR-777?

1. AN1x
2. Prophecy
3. JP-8000
4. ?

I just need something with nice pads, some extra interesting voices (including actual instruments like piano), polyphony, and not more than like $800 (new or used). Any other suggestions? I know of these, the JP-8000 might fit the best, but it's a little too much...is there anything cheaper?

-Nick

Message 61/75             22-May-00  @  09:19 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

Maybe you should look into a Roland Juno 106. You can get them mint for usually $400 - $500. I picked mine up for $250 mint except one voice is out. They have really nice strings and pads, thats what they are famous for. Not too sure about piano sounds, maybe you can get some piano sounds after a little practice. The Juno 106 also has the smoothest bass ever! After all...the Juno 106 is probably the most used synth in the world.

~Pete

Message 62/75             22-May-00  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

I agree...the whole time we weren't considering analogue pieces. The Juno-106 is pretty dope...it's like a cut down version of the JP-8000, but with a lot of power. Only problem is depending on what production line your unit is from, the IC's might break, and you loose voices like Pete.

Message 63/75             22-May-00  @  04:25 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

oldskool

Or you may want to look at a JX8p or MKS70 with PG800 programmer, cheap, huge sound, very versatile. I have both and they are always useful for bass\strings\pads\weirdness\hoover sounds etc,etc. A much better bet than a JP8000 IMHO  

Message 64/75             22-May-00  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Which of those is MIDI-controlled, and do any of them have internal seq's? The price range for those synths is right up my alley...$100-200 for the latter, about $350 for the Juno 106.

And, to anyone who has a 777: I am under the impression that they can do some drums. Is this right? How good are the drums the 777 puts out?

-Nick

Message 65/75             23-May-00  @  10:05 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

I think all the synths names above are MIDI controlled. None of them have sequencers. Most analog synths don't. The voices on the Juno can be fixed for around $40 - $50 so I've heard...and hope.

As for the 777, hell yeah, you can get some wicked kicks and snares out of the 777. I can make some audio files today. I'll add 'em on my site so you can check 'em out. I got this kick out of it and all I can say about it is "HOLY SHIT!"

~Pete

Message 66/75             23-May-00  @  12:37 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

Thanks ReZo,

As for the audio files, I'll look for those. Can't check now though, I'm on a tight lunch break. Can you have a synth line going at the same time as the drums? That'd kick some serious ass. Can't wait for the audio,

-Nick

Message 67/75             23-May-00  @  08:01 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

ReZo

No, you can't cause its a monosynth, only one part. However, you can sequence one of the oscillators with an external sequencer with using CV to make the 777 like a two part synth but that might be getting a bit technical for a newbie.

~Pete

Message 68/75             23-May-00  @  08:41 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

cocomox

CV controls how the knobs are turned, yes? I understand the rest, but when people start talking about CV and Gate, my eyes start to rotate in spirals.

And hell yes, that'd be too technical for me  

-Nick

Message 69/75             25-May-00  @  01:24 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

sblue

Nice to find a site w/ some true grooveheads....i gotta say that i love my 303....i run it through my rocktron voodu valve and the thing just howls like it's alive....

....i'm currently syncing it w/ my novation drum station and that works out pretty damn well.....

...so far as i can tell....nothing comes all that close to truly sounding like an actual 303.....but i haven't wasted too much time comparing....why bother if you already have one 

has anybody here used peavey/cakewalk studio mix? it looked and sounded pretty cool and i just bought a brand new studio mix in the box for about 435 on ebay.......

....anybody used it?

Peace

Message 70/75             27-May-00  @  01:35 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

programa

Selling excellent condition TR 606
and TB 303 with manuals, covers,
and sync cable, $1000 for the pair.

Message 71/75             29-May-00  @  06:32 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Maarten

I'm hunting for a 606 , where are you?

Message 72/75             29-May-00  @  10:55 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

Maarten,

I'm selling my 606. Excellent condition with Analogue Solutions tonal modbox and individual outputs. Cool functions include making a 909 rim shot with the filter sweep all the way up on the high toms...

Message 73/75             30-May-00  @  05:56 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Maarten

You're in the States ,aren't you?
How much?

-M-

Message 74/75             30-May-00  @  04:54 PM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

pedicelli

No, I'm in Canada. I paid $600.00 CAD in material costs for the whole thing, so based on that make me an offer. Would like to trade it for a FR-777 if possible. If not, cash will do.

Message 75/75             31-May-00  @  06:44 AM   -   RE: tb-303....Over-hyped?..Please enlighten me

Maarten

I mailed you my offer, let me know.

cheers!
-M-

Viewing all 75 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

There are 75 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)