aaa To self - Oscillate.. - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: To self - Oscillate..

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 29-Oct-00  @  12:27 AM   -   To self - Oscillate.. newbie question

metaphy99

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Every couple of weeks I see someone use the terminology self-oscillation. What is self-oscillation? Why do people speak of it like it's real special, is this something I should want to do? Does Waldorf , Nord, and Nova do it? Does the Virus B do it????

Evar

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 71/75             21-Nov-00  @  01:10 AM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

idiolect

heh... so, uh, can anyone recommend a good self-oscillating filter for trance?

- j

Message 72/75             21-Nov-00  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

trypt

Damn boomer, why are you still being all
high and rude like? But okay, I'll do what
you said:

Rewrite this phrase in less than two words.
"the sound that sounds like a sine wave
when resonance is turned up high"

Okay. OSCILLATING. Now, if you tack on
"with no signal going through", then it is
SELF-oscillating. Something a virus cannot
do.

~Kevyn

Message 73/75             21-Nov-00  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

who gives a shit

is not as though self oscillation is the most useful sound in the world! dam!

Message 74/75             24-Nov-00  @  02:18 AM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

influx

Link?:  Link

hehe. wow. anyone do what I said?

pedantic

Message 75/75             28-Nov-00  @  04:26 PM   -   RE: To self - Oscillate..

nomad

fyi, the concepts for an oscillator and a self-oscillating filter really aren't that different people....basically all you are doing is pushing the damping factor of a feedback loop above 1. that's it. at least engineering-wise. pedantic? and yes, even the slightest bit of analog noise can start the chain reaction....
when you have a stack of cans, all it takes is one from the bottom to make the whole stack fall right? there's no 0s in the real world....

wanna try it out? try this experiment on your mixer (it probably needs to be an analog mixer, dunno...it DOES need EQ)....i usually do this through effects, it's fun with a lot of reverb....run the output of the effect into an input on your mixer, and an aux send to that effect. now, turn up the aux send on that channel (yes, feedback, i'm sure we've all done this before by accident) until it feeds back...then back off just a little bit until it stops feeding back.
now, take the mid EQ and turn it up just until it starts feeding back again. now, sweep the mid frequency, and watch the sound follow the knob. just like a self-oscillating filter. even more fun if you have something else in
the mix, something else feeding to the effect too (drum loops are fun).

personally, i find the whole thing boring....you know, if you take a 45Hz square wave, and filter it down, you get a sine wave too right? the "advantage" of self-osc, like someone mentioned, is not that it self-oscs,
but that you can get very close without going over, and it sounds good there.
(and many synths that don't have pitch envs, will have filter envs...with self-osc, instant pitch-env). anyway just a little lesson for the day....

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 75 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)