aaa Nova, Sysex & VST - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Nova, Sysex & VST

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             08-Nov-00  @  12:44 AM   -   Nova, Sysex & VST

djedner

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hello all,GT,
I am having problems recording sysex data from the Nova into VST.
The only way I have done it so far is to use midi ox and do a sysex transmission, then save it, then load it into vst in the list editor using sysex editor. This is very annoying as it is time consuming.

I think this may be the problem. When I send a sysex dump from the nova to vst the midi in bar (red) does not light, neither does the midi out. I have checked that sysex had not been filtered. Any other midi messages do make the midi in bar light up.

If I am wrong and sysex is getting through, where is it stored/displayed? Does sysex data create a midi 'snapshot' ie does it include all data from the nova when the dump is made. For example, are all positions of the controller knobs stored in the sysex data?

thanks for your time

ed

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             08-Nov-00  @  03:41 AM   -   RE: Nova, Sysex & VST

GT

I'll come back to this 11/8 cus of gear issues. But, the recorded sysex (if succesful) will show up just as a midi track, BUT, highlight (click once) the recorded recorded sysex and use the with the LIST EDITOR.

Message 3/8             08-Nov-00  @  10:33 AM   -   RE: Nova, Sysex & VST

gavib

Hey Ed!
A sysex transmission from your Nova will send whatever you tell it to send! This is set in the 'Globals' menu.
However, it doesn't send a 'snapshot' of the current knob positions, only things like : Current Program, Current Performance, All Programs BankA etc ....

As for your VST problem, if there's no MIDI IN level on the meter, then VST is not receiving ANY MIDI. OK OK ... state the obvious! lol  
Does VST respond to notes from the Nova - or knob swists - or pitchbend wheel?
If not then there's something wrong with your MIDI settings.
Are you running a MAC or PC? cos they do differ.
Also, are you running your setup with a multi in/out MIDI interface - like MOTU MIDI Express XT or OPCODE STUDIO 4 etc..
If so, make sure there's no filtering going on in it. If you can, bypass it altogether (this is what I do).
I have a basic 1in 1out MIDI interface which I use for doing all sysex dumps, swaping it for my Express XT.

Hope some of this helps. Get back to me if you've still got problems and I'll try to sort them out with you.

gavi b.

Message 4/8             08-Nov-00  @  01:22 PM   -   RE: Nova, Sysex & VST

djedner

Gavi b and GT,

Thannks for your reply. Well, the midi in indicator does light up when i press a key of the keyboard or move a knob on the nova. In that respect there is no problem sending midi from the nova to vst. However, the midi in indicator does not light when i send a sysex dump. When, though, I send a sysex dump to another program called midi ox, the program does receive the sysex dump and it is displayed as a bunch of numbers and letter (correct I think).

So I guess the problem must lie with VST. I have a PC and SW1000xg soundcard by the way. An issue might be that I have assigned the nova to SW1000 midi out. Should I assign it as another instrument under the multimedia control panel?

When I try to record sysex as per GT's suggestion no midi track appears that sysex has been recorded.

Message 5/8             08-Nov-00  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: Nova, Sysex & VST

Stefan

Link?: Link

In the default settings of Cubase sysex filtering is active.
Did you check this ?
--> Options/Midi-Settings/Filter

Regards

Message 6/8             09-Nov-00  @  04:57 PM   -   RE: Nova, Sysex & VST

djedner

stefan,

yes, I did check that sysex filtering was off on both play and record. I still can't get a sysex signal to record.

ed

Message 7/8             09-Nov-00  @  05:15 PM   -   RE: Nova, Sysex & VST

gavib

OK ed ..... let's see now .......
You've narrowed the problem down pretty well so I think the problem has got to lie with your MIDI interface - the SW1000xg in your case and how VST address it.
Something is filtering sysex data out before it gets to VST but not with 'midi ox'.
Because VST is quite a complex program (and midi ox isn't) it could be confusing your soundcard.
I don't know much about the SW1000xg but I know a man who does so I'll get back to you soon .........

gav

Message 8/8             09-Nov-00  @  07:00 PM   -   RE: Nova, Sysex & VST

djedner

gav,

thanks for your time and reply. I most keenly await your reply.

ed

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)