aaa What about FM in Nova OS update? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: What about FM in Nova OS update?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             14-Nov-00  @  05:16 PM   -   What about FM in Nova OS update?

steve.scrambled

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

As a big fan of Frequency Modulation combined with analogue style filters I was wondering if its possible in the forthcoming Nova OS update to implement keytracking for the LFOs. If the LFO speed could be controlled by key position we could switch them to audio frequencies and use them to modulate oscillator pitch and the timbre would be consistent across the keyboard. It seems a shame to have LFOs capable of audio frequencies and not be able to use them for melodic sounds, as opposed to special FX. Can this be done? Phil, are you there?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             14-Nov-00  @  08:56 PM   -   RE: What about FM in Nova OS update?

pressure

I don't think that Phill bothers with this forum anymore, but regardless I think that this is a feature that a lot of SNV/Nova owners would like, and also one that many of us have wanted for a very long time.

Message 3/8             14-Nov-00  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: What about FM in Nova OS update?

steve.scrambled

If its true that Phil no longer frequents this forum its a shame. Perhaps if the people who bitched at Novation about the forthcoming OS had instead made concrete suggestions about what they'd like to see included in it then Phil would still be around and we might have had some influence over what was included in it. Just a thought.

Message 4/8             15-Nov-00  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: What about FM in Nova OS update?

Oxo

I reckon you've got no chance of seeing it in a future OS upgrade. If Novation made this available for the older models, then they'd sell fewer of the newer II series machines.

For the same reason, I'd be very surprised if the new OS whenever it appears contains anything like the range of new features contained in the recent models. I expect you'll maybe get one token extra waveform and one extra filter type and that'll be it.

If Novation made all the features available to previous purchasers then they'd be no point in them developing the new models at all!

Phil prove me wrong please.....

Message 5/8             15-Nov-00  @  07:29 PM   -   RE: What about FM in Nova OS update?

steve.scrambled

But the FM addition i'm proposing wouldn't be anywhere as versatile as the FM on a Super/Nova II which has 8 different FM algorithms. I don't think that it would affect sales of the newer Novas negatively at all to show that the company provide continuing support for their products by offering powerful new features in OS updates. If its technically possible to implement simple FM in the old Nova imagine what new features the expanded
DSP of the newer models could be turned to.

Message 6/8             16-Nov-00  @  04:35 AM   -   RE: What about FM in Nova OS update?

k

no he's still here.. you just cant see him... well the way i see it is this.. i'd rather they forgot about trying to continualy update an already perfect synth and develop some more products... i'd like to see Novation expand it's value for money and 'dance' suitability into other area's - after all if you have a nova with audio in, just buy an old DX or an FB01 (60 QUID) and bolt in on... hey presto !!.. FM thru a VA filter... as requested...

Novation are a company, and they have to survive and if possible expand... they aint gonna do that if they spend their time-budget trying to fullfill wishlists... i'd rather have my synth backed over the next coming years by a healthy alive company that can sort out any probs that might possibly arise - for that to happen they have to release new products... my 2p worth

Message 7/8             16-Nov-00  @  04:49 AM   -   RE: What about FM in Nova OS update?

the lurker

"Novation are a company, and they have to survive and if possible expand... they aint gonna do that if they spend their time-budget trying to fullfill wishlists"

true, but they're also not gonna survive if they lie to there customers, I for one would be wary off getting a novation product again in the future. I simply don't like being lied to, regardless of how good the product. I vote with my cash, one person won't make a difference but many thinking the same thing will, they are of course shooting themselves in the foot.

Message 8/8             16-Nov-00  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: What about FM in Nova OS update?

steve.scrambled

Novation committed themselves to one more OS for the older Novas, hardly an example of "continual updates". For an example of "continual updates" check out Waldorf, a similar sized company still thriving. The inclusion of FM in the form I suggested seems to me entirely possible from a technical standpoint. Perhaps i'm wrong but thats why I posted the suggestion in the first place, to find out.

As for using an FM synth through the audio ins, I can and have done that, but it doesnt offer anywhere near as wide a range of possibilities as having FM internal to the nova. What about FM with modulated sync, or soften?

And if Novation spend time developing features for the new OS that's not time wasted since the work done could be carried forward into a new range of instruments. After all, the work Novation carried out developing the original Novas has already led to new instruments, the Nova 2s.

I just think that keytracking LFOs would open up a vast area of new sounds for users for a comparitively small time-investment by Novation, that's all.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)