aaa ACCESS A vs Nova - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: ACCESS A vs Nova

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             26-Oct-00  @  11:00 AM   -   ACCESS A vs Nova

cabrillat

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Unfortunately I cannot afford the brand new Virus B which looks like a dream machine.
I consequently want to purchase a second hand synth and is hesitating between a nova and an "A" virus.
The nova as more effects, more osc, and seem more user friendly than the virus, but the virus has such a huge reputation.
So, do someone have a piece of advice? I'm doing trip hop, electro pop and techno music (french touch, as I live in Paris), and want to perform live with that device.

Thanks.

Laron.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             26-Oct-00  @  02:36 PM   -   RE: ACCESS A vs Nova

99devils

My advice is to sit down with both if possible. They are pretty similar, spec-wise, with the exception that the Nova has FX. It really comes down to sound quality, though.

You may want to check out the Waldorf MicroQ. It looks fantastic.

-Craig

Message 3/8             26-Oct-00  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: ACCESS A vs Nova

nothingnewhere

Link?: Link

or, if your realy stuck on the virus sound, the virus rack...

Message 4/8             26-Oct-00  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: ACCESS A vs Nova

swanofnever

i've only BREIFLY toyed with a nova, and not that it's total crap, but it's a LOT more limited in terms of possibilities... just less flaxible.

first of it's only 6 part multi (virus is 16), it doesn't have dual filters, don't know about mod. shit, but the virus has FM+sync simultaneously AND a mod matrix, plus there are ALL the virus's spectral waves on top if the standard osc shapes...
the nova just seems to be more about standard analog synthesis with a bit more power, whereas the virus is a lot broader in terms of possibilities..

i have to say i LOVE mine, so obviously i'm biased. but of course the nova has a third osc. and FX...

sorry for incoherence, i'm delirious with lack of sleep...

Message 5/8             26-Oct-00  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: ACCESS A vs Nova

scrotalsack

you should really check out the sound, because the virus is a lot more "dirty" than the nova... if you're after gritty nasty sounds, go for a virus, whereas if your after more like mks80 sounds, go for the nova.

Message 6/8             27-Oct-00  @  03:23 PM   -   RE: ACCESS A vs Nova

99devils

I'd second that opinion... The Virus is sharp and hard, while the Nova sounds more like Roland's analog boards.

-Craig

Message 7/8             02-Nov-00  @  02:47 AM   -   RE: ACCESS A vs Nova

S

Hmmm...So, I wanted to get two synths -- one for soft pads and one for cutting leads -- then I'd best be going for the Nova and the Access?

Message 8/8             02-Nov-00  @  05:08 PM   -   RE: ACCESS A vs Nova

99devils

There's a lot of overlap there, though. The Nova can do cutting leads, but it's not quite as good as the Virus for that. The Virus is not as good at soft pads as the Nova but it can do them. I don't think you necessarily need both.

-Craig

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)