aaa VA Synths, whats the difference? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: VA Synths, whats the difference?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             03-Jun-00  @  03:47 PM   -   VA Synths, whats the difference?

caduceus

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

AN1x, Nova, Virus, what is the difference in how they sound? I have an RM1x and make trance and trance influenced electronica, which would be best for me?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             03-Jun-00  @  08:06 PM   -   RE: VA Synths, whats the difference?

J

Whichever synth you pick they are all capable of making trance sounds. It's all a matter of taste and not to forget the price tag. Every synth or VA synth has it's own unique sound. The best thing you could do is try them all out in the shop and then decide.

Message 3/8             03-Jun-00  @  09:53 PM   -   RE: VA Synths, whats the difference?

DefectorZ

Why did you post this in two different topics?

Message 4/8             04-Jun-00  @  03:34 AM   -   RE: VA Synths, whats the difference?

caduceus

Link?: Link

I poted it on the forums of manufacturers of the main VA synths so Id get a balanced view, people can be so defensive about gear they own, especially when talking about its rival products.

Message 5/8             05-Jun-00  @  03:30 PM   -   RE: VA Synths, whats the difference?

99devils

Out of the ones I've physically touched:

Virus - Hard, hard, hard... The predominant characteristic of this machine is hard and nasty, but it can also do breathtaking pads, thick basses, etc. Versatile architecture with 2 filters per voice and 64 digital waveforms in addition to VA oscillators. (I own this one)

Nord Lead - Cutting, dramatic sound character, can sync osc to noise, but using noise uses one osc (not so on Virus). No FX. (I own a Nord I but it's been in the shop forever)

JP-8000 - Cushy, thick sound... Sounds like older Rolands to my ear... Low specs for the money. Good for pads, ribbon controller is a plus

Nova - Would compliment a Virus really well... Thicker, "paddier" sound, awesome FX, good 303 emulation.

Hope this helps, but you really need to try to get to listen to them and play with them... Just the little things - Like maybe you hate sliders (like me) and prefer knobs, in which case you wouldn't want a JP-8000... Maybe you need a Vocoder, so you wouldn't want a Nord Lead. Shop the specs for the machines that fit your needs and suit your budget, then play them.

-Craig

Message 6/8             05-Jun-00  @  05:51 PM   -   RE: VA Synths, whats the difference?

J

Craig, you said it all in a nutshell ;-)
I can't speak for the Nova, but the other 3 synths I have. They all have their own thing going. My personal fav is the Virus, but that's just my own taste. You really have to try them all out and buy what you feel suits you best.

Message 7/8             05-Jun-00  @  08:21 PM   -   RE: VA Synths, whats the difference?

norsez

Hey guys, I do mellow stuff and the Virus does its job really great too.

Message 8/8             08-Jun-00  @  01:43 PM   -   RE: VA Synths, whats the difference?

caduceus

Thanks everyone, thats given me a good starting point, now to hit the shops....
:-)

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)