aaa Missing my Nova!!! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Missing my Nova!!!

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             12-Nov-00  @  08:41 PM   -   Missing my Nova!!!

otton_michael

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi guys! I see theres a lot of bitching going on at this site!

You guys dont know how lucky you are. I swapped my nova for 106, what a dumb ass thing to do, then swapped it for a jupiter 6 (nice synth but problems with 1 of the voices). All i want now is my little blue monster back. It doesnt do everything well, sharp leads dont cut it enough for me, but it is just so solid in the sound.

Comon guys, what should i do, save + get a sn2, or stick with the real mcoy with loadsa problems?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             12-Nov-00  @  10:59 PM   -   RE: Missing my Nova!!!

fv

Well, you've owned both now. I guess you need to decide really what you want.

Personally, I see little reason to stick with a real analog as the problems outweigh the benefits for me. Sure, the VA's don't sound exactly the same. However, when you have them in a mix, it doesn't make a huge deal of difference to me. The only advantage of having a real analogue IMHO is for those cutting leads and bass lines.

However, the Virus and Nord Lead do a good job with those (please no flames). If you think you'll miss the sharp leads from a Jupiter 6, maybe save up for a Nord Lead or Virus along with a Nova (or NovaII). There you'll get your old faithful back and a synth that can cut through for leads.

HTH,
fv

Message 3/9             12-Nov-00  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: Missing my Nova!!!

pressure

I own both a SNV and a Jup-6. I have had the SNV for a while and just got the Jupiter about 3 months ago. Since getting it I have actually been thinking about selling my SNV and using that cash to get a few other old analogs. The jupiter can not do everything that the SNV can but it certainly can do sounds that the SNV can't. Seeing as how each synth has its own distinct sound I would rather have 4 distinct sounding synths rather than 1 8-part multitimbral synth. Anyone know if the Superbasstation has a similar sound/archetecture to SNV? Anyway, thats just my thought on the subject.

Message 4/9             12-Nov-00  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: Missing my Nova!!!

r-tek

nah, the SBS dont have a great deal in common with the sn. I used to think 4 or 5 different sounding synths were preferable to one or 2 allrounders but I ended up coming to the conclusion that having all that stuff just did my head in totally and I ended up going getting nowhere fast whenever I went inot the studio as I was constantly trying things out on different synths. Each to their own, I guess.

Message 5/9             13-Nov-00  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: Missing my Nova!!!

otton_michael

Thanks for those ideas guys.

At the moment I think i'll stick with the Jupe, get it sorted out, as one of the cross modulationroutings doesnt work on one of the voices, then maybe get a SN2. However I think theres alot to be said for getting 3/4 distictive analogues. I meen the Jupiter's as hard as nails at sweeps/syncs, it just blew my head off the other day! The 106 was nice, really raw and buzzy but not a patch on the novas smooth sound for tight basses.

Ah well!! I just love synths!

Message 6/9             13-Nov-00  @  10:24 PM   -   RE: Missing my Nova!!!

pressure

Make sure to get the jp-6 fixed, because the cross modulation is one of the best features of the jupiter. It is one of the areas in which the SNV can't hold a candle to it. Then again Im sure you have noticed that the SNV is far better at bass. I have been thinking about getting a 106 how does it compare to the SNV and Jupiter?

Message 7/9             14-Nov-00  @  12:08 AM   -   RE: Missing my Nova!!!

otton_michael

Yeah, the bass is a bit thin to say the least on the jp. The 106 is harsh and angular imho, bass on it is big and bad, but it aint tight, probably due to sluggish envelopes, but it made my speaker cones flap so bad i thought they were gonna blow across the room. The leads cut better than the snv, but the range of sounds is limited.

I guess the thing i like more about the real thing is the dirt in the sound, it just has character, wheras the snv has a bloody good go at everything and is so easy to get a sequence going, which i think is what i miss about it.

Message 8/9             16-Nov-00  @  07:17 AM   -   RE: Missing my Nova!!!

phunkytek

I do some realy cool gritty slides up and down with the juno using porta,and good acid stuff, but the nova does all that midi synced phase shifting lfo bass and realy good sub bass resonant stuff as well, but with out the extra line noise. Your right about time. I got my Nova in September, and I put together tracks and Ideas so fast as opposed to laying them down one track at a time with the juno. I haven't had to use my 101 or bass station since I got the nova. All track are juno, nova, microwave, and my emu. They all mix well together. Sorry about that trade. Did you get cash with the 106. Like $600. Juno's are only $300-$450. Jupiter for a juno is a good swap, but how hard are the voice chips to find? Call Roland. Then just swap out chips till the problem stops. some of the 106 synths had bad chips too. Only a small batch.

Message 9/9             17-Nov-00  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: Missing my Nova!!!

otton_michael

Yeah i got cash but pounds so probably aint relevant. At the moment im getting the Jupe fixed by the guy who sold me it(a dealer). Good luck to him!! Then i am seriously tempted to getting a nova or a sn2 rack. I shouldnt be thinking of it due to money!!! but would you go the distance and get a sn2 rack?

Alternatively, i was thinking of getting a 101, Ive heard one once (a mate brought it round) it was a while ago, but isnt it supposed to have bloody sharp envelopes and resonance + the lfo speed is supersonic, how do they compare in your opinion to the novas?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)