aaa virus b vs A - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: virus b vs A

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             03-Sep-00  @  01:57 PM   -   virus b vs A

phunkytek

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I was thinking of buying the new virus rack. But I have noticed how cheep the virus A synths are. What is the differance between the A and the B?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             03-Sep-00  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: virus b vs A

inlux

the b is not the same as the rack.

the B has more poly than the A, more FX, a little simpler layout (each "module" has a dedicated editing section = less page flipping)

I absolutely dead on guarantee that if you bought an A version you would NOT be unhappy.

Message 3/9             04-Sep-00  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: virus b vs A

phunkytek

I went to access music and reviewed the rack, and it is almost the same as the virus a (in fact in the support section they state this), but with only 8 parts, and 16 voices. The advantage is that a hard ware up grade is available in the future to upgrade the rack to the features of the B. But I guess i'll buy a used A for the same cash as a new rack, and if I want a indigo, I can sell it and buy one later. Can the virus Aprograms be loaded into the indigo and B?

Message 4/9             05-Sep-00  @  10:55 AM   -   RE: virus b vs A

99devils

Yup, the B's are backwards compatible with A patches as far as I know.

I also have an A and don't really find myself missing the features of the B. At least I haven't felt the need to unload my Virus at a $400 loss, and then pony up the $1300 or whatever they go for these days. The FX would be convenient, though.

-Craig

Message 5/9             14-Sep-00  @  04:17 PM   -   RE: virus b vs A

bokonon

Link?:  Link

yea but outboard fx aremore versatile and cheaper. check the digitech studio 400. better price to fx ratio - has 4 ins and 4 outs - and a compressor (compressors fatten up kicks/basslines and are also great for drums/percussion)

Message 6/9             15-Sep-00  @  08:39 AM   -   RE: virus b vs A

99devils

I wouldn't go so far as to say they're cheaper in this case, there's too many other factors... The Virus B comes with nearly double the voices of a Virus A. And then there's the question of routing for live shows - you may need the Digitech on 4 virus outs for one song, but then need it for 4 sampler outs the next... It's usually easier to tweak the FX right there on the synth when you're designing your patch.

Onboard FX settings are also saved with the sound, it's more intuitive.

Thaere are (obviously) tons of reasons to use onboard, although usually outboard does sound better  

-Craig

Message 7/9             15-Sep-00  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: virus b vs A

phunkytek

Well, i use an oiv and a yamaha dsp factory, so i have outboard fx on those, plus i could hook up an external and route stuff to it from the 4 busses or use any of the 100 or so plug-ins I have. Out board fx settings and patches as well as mix settings are recorded into the sequencer, so that would be pretty easy to call up in performances. What quality multi fx racks sync up to midi clock? I was thinking of buying the electrix stuff.They really sound quite nice,and they have clock sync, and midi recordable knobs. I'm either getting a virus A or a korg ms2000. Not as much in the vioce dept, but the sound is incredible. I've demoed it on many occasions after I found out BT use it on all his newer stuff. The rack is only $600. It's going to be a month or two, so i have time to think. I don't have access to a virus, so where could I deom one. GC doest't stock them, does Mars? I hate buying stuff on reputation, because i get dissapointed that way.

Message 8/9             15-Sep-00  @  04:39 PM   -   RE: virus b vs A

99devils

Guitar Center does carry them. They have one at my local GC. Maybe they can get one for you to demo. The sound is harder, and more cutting than an MS2k. Better FX, more snarl, more voices... More $$  

-Craig

Message 9/9             15-Sep-00  @  11:07 PM   -   RE: virus b vs A

phunkytek

Yes but the stores in houston are b and c class stores. They don't stock all the products they are dealers for. In fact they usually don't cary stuff until they get special orders for them. They now stock and have a Nova demo out in the rack, but that wasn't until I ordered one from them and told the manager they need to get with it. When they stock every piece of crap, but not the best selling and award winning gear made. I really need to play with it before I buy. I'll talk to the manager. What I can do is have them order one from another location.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)