aaa Waldorf Q Rack, Got it, but.... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Waldorf Q Rack, Got it, but....

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             25-May-00  @  12:42 PM   -   Waldorf Q Rack, Got it, but....

digitalbound

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Got it last night!!!

However, Musician's gear sent it in a box that was oversized for the rack itself. Somehow on the way here (with it moving around) it chomped up the styrofoam and caused the upper right rack metal area to bend. It also caused the paint to chip off the side (a small ding off the paint).

This type of thing irritates me, but the synth appears to work fine. I guess if it can put up with that type of abuse, it is rock solid. I have yet to put it through it paces yet though...So I Can't tell yet if there was anything that cuased the circuitry to f*ck up...

All in all, given the type of box it was sent in (someone was NOT thinking when they did that), I'd give the service a 7 out of 10.

It would be a 10 out of 10 if the merchandise arrived in solid shipping state...

rob.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             25-May-00  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: Waldorf Q Rack, Got it, but....

component_1

That is really a big shame, I'm very sorry that happened to you. I was about to order a 30 voice XT from Musician's Gear this week. Have you talked to the
company and asked how long it will take to have your problem fixed>>>If you have please post there response???? Thanka... Alex

Message 3/9             25-May-00  @  05:46 PM   -   RE: Waldorf Q Rack, Got it, but....

CK

You should ask for a replacement or a discount, as they should pack things properly and it's entirely their fault. After all it reduces the re-sale value )I know you won't want to re-sell, but that is not the point).

Message 4/9             17-Jun-00  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: Waldorf Q Rack, Got it, but....

rt

Not sure where the unit was shipped, but...

Got an XT a couple of years ago and (while the unit suffered no damage, _FORTUNATELY_) had the same problem with thin box, chintzy styrofoam (insufficient) which was all cracked up.

The people who sold it to me (fortunately) boxed the Waldorf box inside another box with styrofoam peanuts all around it (they do that with everything they sell). Zzounds, out of Chicago.

My theory is that the styrofoam, when traveling overseas, is subject to salt air -- that can deteriorate it and make it more brittle. So what seems like adequate packaging over in Europe turns into useless protection when getting carted over the Atlantic.

Just a theory.

Anyways, what matters is how it sounds, ultimately.  

rt

Message 5/9             18-Jun-00  @  02:50 PM   -   RE: Waldorf Q Rack, Got it, but....

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Mine was fine when it came to me.

Message 6/9             12-Jul-00  @  05:01 AM   -   RE: Waldorf Q Rack, Got it, but....

Q User

Link?: Link

<< My theory is that the styrofoam, when traveling overseas, is subject to salt air -- that can deteriorate it and make it more brittle. So what seems like adequate packaging over in Europe turns into useless protection when getting carted over the Atlantic. >>

You're fucking kidding, right? That's so funny...has to be a joke.

Message 7/9             16-Jul-00  @  09:30 AM   -   RE: Waldorf Q Rack, Got it, but....

druma

any of u q users want to talk about the drumsounds, I can imagine they r meaty, I wish more VA's had drumkits, its between the Nord & the Q, right know I'm leaning towards a q cos u get a step sequencer & 16 parts (can I say goodbye to my xbase?

Message 8/9             16-Jul-00  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: Waldorf Q Rack, Got it, but....

Xbase User

hell no, Xbase knocks the house down. On the other hand, Q is quite vanilla.

Message 9/9             17-Jul-00  @  02:02 PM   -   RE: Waldorf Q Rack, Got it, but....

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Vanilla, my ass, dude. You can build enough punch and balls into Q sounds as to make them unusable on anything but the most hardy of systems, or super chill. Drum sounds included. You just have to know how to program the machine, and drum sounds in general. It's no easy task making good hats that sound like hats, and not just some tricked out noise. It's certainly not a replacement for an Xbase, but I plan on getting an Xbase, and using just that, my EPS and the Q for live sets. Maybe some effects, but that's it.

The kicks you can get out of a Q thump, and go deeper than any synth I've used short of a Serge modular, and who lugs one of those just to create a kick? Snares and hats are tight ans punchy, but you have to study the presets quite a bit to make your own effectively. Not impossible, but like anything good, it takes a little work.
You get 16 part multitimbrality, but it's like 4 instruments, 4 layers deep, not 16 individual channels of sound and control. I'd say get it if you are ready to spend a goodly amount of time doing some heavy programming. It ain't for beginners. Not to sound snobbish, but if you want quick, simple stuff, there are easier and cheaper routes to take.

Ape

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)