aaa win98 memory limit ? wtf? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: win98 memory limit ? wtf?

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             14-Feb-02  @  11:35 AM   -   win98 memory limit ? wtf?

Purple Haze

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I just heard from our support people that Win98 has a 128Mb memory limit ? That you can put in as much as you want but it won't really use more than 128Mb ???
I just added 512Mb to my system and would be I shame if it's just wasted money.

I hope I won't have to install w2k/xp to make this work since I've got an ancient gadget labs soundcard and opcode midi interfaces of which no w2k/xp drivers exist (and will probable never be made)... damn!...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             14-Feb-02  @  12:44 PM   -   RE: win98 memory limit ? wtf?

milan

Link?:  Link

nah... its either bollox, or it probably means that WINDOWS themselves wont be using more than 128mb, but your APPS can use as much as you want.

its just my theory. first time i hear of such a thing...

Message 3/10             15-Feb-02  @  09:38 AM   -   RE: win98 memory limit ? wtf?

Anders

There is a limitation in Win98 operating system but your music-apps use the extra memory.

Message 4/10             18-Feb-02  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: win98 memory limit ? wtf?

99devils

Link?: Link

It's not really a limitation, as I understand it.. You can use more than 128 but Windows itself is very inefficient in using that extra memory.

-Craig

Message 5/10             19-Feb-02  @  04:07 PM   -   RE: win98 memory limit ? wtf?

Mark

Actually.....sorry to sound smug, but there is no limit, but infact the system will run better with 512meg of mem that with 1024....basically anything above 512meg will not run as well as 512meg

so your lucky, i had to remove 128meg out of my machine to take it down to 512, it it runs noticibly better

HTH

Mark

Message 6/10             19-Feb-02  @  05:43 PM   -   RE: win98 memory limit ? wtf?

milan

and why is that? do tell more, please.

Message 7/10             19-Feb-02  @  05:53 PM     Edit: 19-Feb-02  |  05:58 PM   -   RE: win98 memory limit ? wtf?

k

you could use the MaxFileCache setting in the System.ini file to reduce the maximum amount of memory that Vcache uses to 512MB (524,288 KB) or less.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/10             21-Feb-02  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: win98 memory limit ? wtf?

mark

Thank you K you just answered the question.....it's to do with bindows virtual memory ....read it in a geeky pc magazine

HTH milan

Mark

Message 9/10             23-Feb-02  @  10:40 AM   -   RE: win98 memory limit ? wtf?

milan

Link?: Link

whats HTH mean?

"dont you big me up iŽll kill ya!!!" hehe  

M.

Message 10/10             23-Feb-02  @  03:35 PM   -   RE: win98 memory limit ? wtf?

steve

'hope this helps'

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)