aaa Recording VST effect knob movements - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Recording VST effect knob movements

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             31-Jan-02  @  07:55 AM   -   Recording VST effect knob movements

curious

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi there

I'm new to this forum, and I'm not sure if this category is the right one.

I'm having problems recording VST effect knob movements in cubase. Can this be done?

Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             31-Jan-02  @  08:32 AM   -   RE: Recording VST effect knob movements

influx

Link?:  Link

yeah! totally! right forum and everything! you rock

as for knobs..yes. but..I..uh...cant explain it properly. hang about someone will come along and sort you out

Message 3/10             31-Jan-02  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: Recording VST effect knob movements

k

yes you should be able to - you mean record movements of the actual fx parameters such as delay time, decay, etc?... just say yes if that's what you mean & i'll try to explain it...

right now tho I need some sleep... but basicaly, you open the fx unit panel - make sure the mixer button marked WRITE is lit, then hit PLAY... NOT RECORD... also it doesnt matter what track is selected.....

so hit play, and move the fx parameter/s - hit stop

look at the arange-page and you'll see a new track called AUDIO MIX with a recorded PART on the arrange area next to it... double click on that part & it opens the mix editing screen

scroll down the left side list , find the fx.... select the parameter you want to edit, (recorded parameters have a little black node next to them)

select the parameter and you'll see in the main screen area a green area which is the recorded movements... use the pencil tool & the ALT key to edit - the steps you edit to (resolution) is set by the SNAP... 4 gived big steps every 1/4 beat... 64ths is smoother etc... the higher the SNAP, the smoother the curves you can draw.

to make the moves playback - make sure the green READ button is lit on the mixer.

you cannot delete a mix part if the WRITE or READ button is lit.

this is also how you do VSTi moves... no record, just hit PLAY to record controller moves from internal synths.... again after recording VSTi parameter moves the track appears ready to edit.

but for either you must NOT use the record button.. and MUST use the WRITE (to record) AND READ (to playback)

Message 4/10             31-Jan-02  @  12:54 PM   -   RE: Recording VST effect knob movements

curious

Thanks K

Your suggestion is what failed to work with my system. It creates an AUDIO MIX track but empty even though I

removed the Sysex checkmark in options/midi options, I pressed write, I pressed play, I tweaked the filter, pressed stop, (un)pressed write. Played it back making sure "read" was active. -No result!

Is it me? Am I doing it all wrong?

Message 5/10             04-Feb-02  @  09:05 AM   -   RE: Recording VST effect knob movements

curious

I did some more testing. It seems that if I insert the effects as a send effect it works. If I use an insert effect, it fails to record.

Also, I can't seem to record VSTi movements that way. It is me, right? I am doing something wrong!?

Message 6/10             04-Feb-02  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: Recording VST effect knob movements

k

i dunno mate - mebbe the particular plugin doesnt send control... i was talking VST branded FX as inserts... for VSTi's they send out controllers... it may be that the actual VSTi interface DOES NOT send out CC's from it's interface and you must get a list of the controllers and manual insert them or record them in with a hardware controller... all VSTi's are different & fx, not all are 100% complient...

it'd help if you said what fx or VSTi you mean.

Message 7/10             04-Feb-02  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: Recording VST effect knob movements

k

by the way - are you 100% sure after recording there was no data?... did you drill right down the list and check all the entries for the particular insert FX you were using?

Message 8/10             04-Feb-02  @  08:39 PM   -   RE: Recording VST effect knob movements

bster

is it possible to only apply effects to a particular part on the same track leaving other parts without? or do i have to automate the level\send whatever as u explained above?

Message 9/10             06-Feb-02  @  08:07 AM   -   RE: Recording VST effect knob movements

curious

I'm pretty certain there's no data. When I play back (with read on) nothing at all happens.
I can't remember the plugin name right now, but it's a steinberg plug. Also, it works fine as a send effect, but not as an insert effect.
I've downloaded a freeware plug that supports automation (it says) and I'm gonna try that one out.
Also, I can't automate the JX-16 cubase instrument. I can record the sysex-data by pressing 'rec'-button, but not when I use 'write' and 'read'.
I think it's strange, maybe I should switch away from cubase and try something else...

Message 10/10             06-Feb-02  @  12:17 PM   -   RE: Recording VST effect knob movements

k

Link?:  Link

well it's different for vsti's and other plugin synths in VST... well perhaps the effect you used was not sposed to send out data as an insert?... dunno until you state what plugin it was so we can try it here.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)