aaa dual pocessors / OS / Pulsar??? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: dual pocessors / OS / Pulsar???

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             11-Dec-01  @  06:30 PM   -   dual pocessors / OS / Pulsar???

Mr Yogi

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Young and niave, need help...want to upgrade system to dual processors running Logic Gold in either Win 2k or XP Pro with Pulsar II! Does anyone know of any just cause or impediment why these two cannot be joined? Which OS would be favourite - 2k or XP - is this even possible. I would especially appreciate answers to the questions that I have not thought of asking yet. Cheers Yogi.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             11-Dec-01  @  09:11 PM   -   RE: dual pocessors / OS / Pulsar???

99devils

Link?: Link

My advice would be to contact the sound card manufacturer and Emagic to ask about any incompaitibilities. As far as the OS goes, XP is the way to go IMHO. You are less likely to bump against the restrictions on MIDI ports and audio outs in XP than in 2k (I think there's a limit of 8 audio outs and 16 midi ports in 2k? Someone help?!?)

-Craig

Message 3/10             11-Dec-01  @  11:45 PM   -   RE: dual pocessors / OS / Pulsar???

steve

logic doesn`t properly implement dual processors afaik, and the word from emagic is that it still wont be sorted with the release of logic 5. The way its done right now in logic is to have one processor doing the audio stuff and the other doing midi(!!!!) which is pointless imo.

Message 4/10             12-Dec-01  @  12:56 PM   -   RE: dual pocessors / OS / Pulsar???

CK aka PENBOA

Logic runs very well on 98SE and very badly on Windows 2000, it crashes easily and you loose 25% of the processing power. So save some money by sticking to one processor and 98SE. Eventually Logic 5 will do all this, but I suspect they will have a lot of tweaking to do to get it all working well.

Consider dual booting Windows 2000 and 98SE, then you can keep all your music stuff on Windows 98SE and everything else on Windows 2000.

Message 5/10             12-Dec-01  @  09:32 PM   -   RE: dual pocessors / OS / Pulsar???

influx

Link?:  Link

" I would especially appreciate answers to the questions that I have not thought of asking yet."

that was one of the funniest fucking things Ive ever read. why dont you dial 976-psychic?

Message 6/10             14-Dec-01  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: dual pocessors / OS / Pulsar???

Brett B

2000 advanced server takes full advantage over multithreading and professional does not. I am looking at the Tyan mobo's with two 1.2 athalons running 2000Advanced Server with the egosys audioterminal 010. looks to be the fastestzoption right now for apps that are optimized for dual cpu. I use Sonar and Cubase. They should both run well in this environment.

Message 7/10             16-Dec-01  @  06:08 AM   -   RE: dual pocessors / OS / Pulsar???

99devils

Are you seriously telling me you're going to fork out for Windows 200 Advanced Server to run on your workstation? The added overhead of a server OS will probably make it worse for a DAW than 200 pro. Besides, XP Professional supports dual CPUs and multithreading.

I don't understand how you can "need" so much CPU power.. My project is a full live band plus electronics.. I record drum kits, layered vocals.. I get 50 tracks no problem, with enough plug-ins to go around. I ain't hurting.. And that's an Athlon 700mhz box with an ATA 33 drive and a DSP Factory.

You could buy another fucking box and the hardware to sync 'em with SMPTE for the cost of advanced server!

-Craig

Message 8/10             16-Dec-01  @  06:11 AM   -   RE: dual pocessors / OS / Pulsar???

99devils

Ahh, I see in your other thread that you use all software synths...

That's a different ball of wax.

Seriously, why don't you get another machine? Formant does that.. You can have one box with a lightweight DXi and VSTi host like Orion, a low latency soundcard with lightpipe, and get 8 or even 16 tracks into your mixing and audio recording PC. I think you're barking up the wrong tree with this..

-Craig

Message 9/10             16-Dec-01  @  07:30 AM   -   RE: dual pocessors / OS / Pulsar???

Brett B

With two machines you can't export to mix down. XP might be an option. I use Sonar, and it seems to run much better on my dsp factory wdm then the mme in 98. I already have the advanced server cd. How do 2000prof and xp differ on the dual cpu ? That registration shit on xp seems to be a bit restrictive!

Message 10/10             20-Dec-01  @  08:26 PM   -   RE: dual pocessors / OS / Pulsar???

99devils

XP registration is optional.

You could always submix.. Seriously, I can think of a workaround for everything you're mentioning. It's not a dig at you, Brett, but it sounds to me like an excuse for not getting things finished ;) I suffer as much as anyone else on that front.

-Craig

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)