aaa Drum Machine Setups with Cubase - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

10-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Drum Machine Setups with Cubase

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             08-Feb-01  @  12:43 AM   -   Drum Machine Setups with Cubase

031437c

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hi everyone, i have a question, which may be obvious to everyone.. I'm wondering the "best" way to use two of my boxes with
Cubase. I'm using a Roland MC 307, and Boss Dr 202. I have a single MIDI interface connected to the computer, the soundcard
has a single input. Presently I have the two boxes synced to the computer, so I hit play on the computer, and record the output
from the boxes onto an audio track. This works ok, but I suspect there is a better way to do this, and allow me more control, ie,
if i wanted to separate each instrument to it's own track, it would be a big pain in the ass.. I plan on buying a midi keyboard
controller very soon, so any suggestions could include that too.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             08-Feb-01  @  07:35 AM   -   RE: Drum Machine Setups with Cubase

influx

Link?:  Link

an external mixer?

Message 3/10             08-Feb-01  @  05:30 PM   -   RE: Drum Machine Setups with Cubase

031437c

i use an external mixer, but i'd like to be able to "move" the midi data on to cubase and use the two boxes as sound modules.. i'm not sure how to do this...

Message 4/10             08-Feb-01  @  07:37 PM   -   RE: Drum Machine Setups with Cubase

Rowboffin

Hi! What you need to do is set up a drum map for your two drum machines. Create a track in cubase and make it into a drum track by clicking in the C column and selecting drum track. Next create a part on that track and double click on it to open the drum edit. On the left hand side you'll see a list of GM drum part names and on the right a grid. Slide the divider between them to the right to reveal all of the columns. You'll see that each drum sound has an I-note, an O-note, a MIDI output and a MIDI channel. The I-note is the incoming MIDI note input from a controller such as a keyboard which you want to trigger a given drum sound. The O-note is the MIDI note that is output by cubase when playing a drum hit on that instrument. The MIDI channel and output are obvious. Now, what you need to do is find out which MIDI note each drum sound on your modules responds to and then create an instrument slot in the drum map which has the correct settings to trigger that particular sound. So for instance, say you find that your drum machine has a kick that responds to C1: name a slot "kick drum" (or whatever) set the O-note to C1 and the I-note to the same, and set the MIDI channel to the same as your drum machine and the MIDI output to the correct setting. Repeat this process for every drum sound you want to trigger using the GM map as a template. Two important things to note: save your drum map under a new name so that you can recall it and use it in a song whenever you want; be patient! Setting up drum maps is a bit of an arduous process and Cubase doesn't make it any easier sometimes. One labour saving tip is to use an external MIDI keyboard/controller to set the I and O notes: click on the MIDI socket icon in the top-right of the drum edit window, click on I-note at the top of the column(say) and then press the appropriate key on your keyboard and the I-note will change to that note. If the MIDI out on your drum machine is connected to a MIDI in on your interface and your drum machines pads transmit note data then you can use them to set the I and O notes too. If you need more info on making a drum map the .pdf manual has more details. Once you've got the drum map sorted out you can transfer all of the patterns you've programmed in your drum machine by connecting the in and out of your drum machine to your computer, syncing them together and initiating record on a drum track. Once that's done you can edit the data within cubase, mute individual drums, delete all the hi-hats in a part or whatever. Hope this helps, if not tell me! ;)

Message 5/10             08-Feb-01  @  09:32 PM   -   RE: Drum Machine Setups with Cubase

031437c

awsome, this is exactly what i wanted to know.. i'm talking a look around for
the mc 307 and dr 202 drum maps, otherwise next week when i take my vacation from school i'll spend a day making up some maps..

Message 6/10             08-Feb-01  @  09:51 PM   -   RE: Drum Machine Setups with Cubase

k

see PC-WARE section... search for 'cubase' - in the cubase old version review page there is a full explanation of how the drum-map works too.

Message 7/10             10-Feb-01  @  02:13 PM   -   RE: Drum Machine Setups with Cubase

031437c

ok, the above help was uber helpful, but now i've hit another snag, with the
MC 307, whenever i hit play, it seems to "initialize" my patches, it took a while to figure out, i thought it wasn't working at first, but what is happening when i hit play, is that it makes the drums impossible to hear, and the synth parts sound bizarre. this happens when the local controller is both on and off. i've also noticed that the knob movements, only work when the 307s midi out is hooked into the midi in on the interface, and they only work for the synth parts, not the rhythm part (like it usually does).

the solution to fixing the weird sounding patches is to reload them, but this isn't very practical, there must be a weird message cubase is sending out. any help would be much appreciated..

Message 8/10             10-Feb-01  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: Drum Machine Setups with Cubase

Rowboffin

Not too sure about this cos I don't own a MC307 but here's a couple of suggestions. First, there's the possibility of double triggering making stuff sound wierd, so the drum machine may be triggering the note in a sequence, sending that note as a note on message via the MIDI out to the computer and then Cubase echoing that note back out to the drum machine and retriggering the same note once again. This can cause sounds to exhibit a wierd flanging effect. How you go about avoiding this depends on your equipment: you could set MIDI thru to off in VST's MIDI setup for the MIDI channel your drum machine is set to, or there may be a setting on the drum machine itself that prevents it responding to incoming notes. Of course you can just unplug the cable to the MIDI in on the drum machine. This may not be the problem you're having but its just a thought. Second, the messages that Cubase sends out automatically on Play and Stop are reset controllers on stop and so forth which can be switched off in the MIDI preferences, or program change messages which are set in the inspector. VST shouldn't be sending anything else without your say so, so if those aren't the cause of your problems it can only be something your drum machine is transmitting and VST is echoing back. Sorry I can't be of more help but keep perservering i'm sure you'll crack it soon. ;)

Message 9/10             21-Feb-01  @  04:20 AM   -   RE: Drum Machine Setups with Cubase

031437c

I've been playing with it a bit, what is happening is whenever the track position is 0, it sends some shit to the machine, which is changing some parameters and making them sound awful. I've been playing with prefs, but it's still misbehaving..

Message 10/10             21-Feb-01  @  04:20 AM   -   RE: Drum Machine Setups with Cubase

031437c

I've been playing with it a bit, what is happening is whenever the track position is 0, it sends some shit to the machine, which is changing some parameters and making them sound awful. I've been playing with prefs, but it's still misbehaving..

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)