aaa exs2 4 and hyper sets - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: exs2 4 and hyper sets

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             15-Feb-02  @  05:25 PM   -   exs2 4 and hyper sets

bedwyr

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

i can't find it and maybe it can't be done, but is there a way of creating hyper sets (for drums etc.) directly from an exs24 instrument? and it would be cool if this hyper set loaded when you clicked hyper edit for a particular exs24 track object.

i'm guessing the only way is to manually create hyper sets for every exs24 instrument.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             19-Feb-02  @  01:24 PM   -   RE: exs2 4 and hyper sets

FlorBurner

Link?:  No link

As far as I know it's not supported. Hopefully it will be in the future. (hehe) Maybe when they (emagic) enable multi outs for vsti...

Florburner

Message 3/11             19-Feb-02  @  05:29 PM     Edit: 19-Feb-02  |  05:36 PM   -   RE: exs2 4 and hyper sets

k

Link?:  Link

well the exs can place samples mapped however you like, so any map, like a cubase drum-map would have to be custom-made but once made it can be saved - sadly, logic doesn't allow the saving/loading of hypersets which would be ok except for an oversight which means AUTO-DEFINE, only works with events in a PART, not from the settings of a track-assigned object.

what you CAN do, is create a new environment layer, add a 'mapped-instrument' object and double-click it then assign the names you want for the notes your drums are on - this you'd have to do initialy anyways with ANY s/w & is most of the work as you'll see - this LAYER complete with the custom-created EXS mapped-instrument (with notes named/defined to match your EXS drum-set) can be loaded into ANY SONG.

make sure the mapped instrument object you created on the layer is all re-titled as 'exs24_1' or whatever to match the new drumkit note placements -

this LAYER with the already created mapped-object can be loaded anytime to a song so at least your exs mapped instrument CAN be loaded ready to go and that is a the hard-work bit done.

BUT, this doesnt mean your corrsponding HYPER-SET editor can import a matching set - however, there is a shortcut to save abit of time

LOAD your EXS24_1 LAYER in the environment - make sure the lfeft-hand PARAMETERS-PANEL has the ICON-Box ticked

go to arrange-page and select the EXS24_1 object to assign to your midi track

now click and manualy create a music part for that track... double-click it to enter piano-roll view, and add a note at beat-1 for every required note you wish to sequence in your HYPER-EDIT so at this point you CAN leave OUt drum notes you don't want to edit/create if you like.

exit piano roll, and hold down shift/ctrl & double-click the created part you just drew notes into or access your hyper-edit screenset - hyper-edit opens - now... create a NEW hyper-edit (initialise), rename it... and TICK the AUDIO-DEFINE box on the left-side parameters-panel

remember our music part has 1 note drawn in for each required drum note we wish to edit/create in hyper-edit - in hyper-edit, now choose the HYPER MENU command to create ALL event defintions based on music-part content (make sure auto-define is ticked)

if you do that, the hyper-edit draws in ALL your notes with the correct title & note number as you defined in your MAPPED-INSTRUMENT setup... it'll draw in a note row for every note which has an actual note added in the PART

yes sadly youy have to draw in a note for each required row you wish to use because logic's auto-define, as noted, does NOT allow it to take the setings from the assigned OBJECT which is a BIG oversight... stil, at least this way you can quickl;y create a HYPER-EDIT by simply creating a part, and clicking in a note for every required HYPER row you want to create - logic then does the rest for you automaticaly - once hyper-edit page is created you can save that with the song, - to start composing, simply delete the music part with the stack of notes and start working

actualy this is WAY faster to setup the first time than defining EACH row of a cubase drum-map - the downside is the drum-map can be loaded, the HYPER cannot - BIT the mapped EXS instrument CAN be saved and loaded to match any of your created & saved EXS kit's

all in all Logic is probably faster if you take into account the row-by-row laborious drum-map creation in cubase when you FIRST have to create your initial map as the alternative.

after importing your initial Mapped-Instrument (logic's version of the 'drum-map', Logic simply requires you add the two steps:

1. draw in a blank music part on the EXS Mapped-Instrument object assigned TRACK, and add a note inside that PART for all required rows you wish to appear in your HYPER.

2. go into HYPER-EDIT, create a new HYPER screen and then use the auto-define command to instantly create ALL your HYPER rows

WARNING - before doing this auto-create, make sure the PART/TRACK is assigned to correct channel as it uses this to define the channel of all created HYPER rows...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/11             19-Feb-02  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: exs2 4 and hyper sets

druid

whoah...

don't mean to distract this very technical discussion here, but are you doing this in order to use hyper-edit for sending ccs specific to certain notes?

sorry- I'm not too familiar yet with mapped instruments and the applications of hyper-edit.

dru

Message 5/11             19-Feb-02  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: exs2 4 and hyper sets

bedwyr

phew! thanks again k, i'll have to print that one out and read it on paper!

deano, i've just been reading the manual (!!!???) and the logic articles about hyper sets on here and i thought, here's a side of logic i never use and it might be really creatively usefull.

and i just don't want to create a new hyper-set from scratch every time i load up a particular exs24 drumkit. looks like k's come up trumps again!

Message 6/11             19-Feb-02  @  11:09 PM   -   RE: exs2 4 and hyper sets

k

yeah, the 'mapped instrument' object used for drums or sampler drum-maps offers a default editor of the piano-roll with drum-names on the keys (a bit like old cakewalk) - but HYPER edit offers the most superb drum editing/creating -

what we have here is that when you create a mapped instrument and open the default piano-roll with drum-names edotor it DOES default to show the names taken from the mapped-instrument' object you created... sadly hyper-edit doesnt.. but above is a shortcut to make it do that faster without having to manualy create every single drum-row/lane in the hyper-edit screen.

i'll make a page for the above explanation/technique soon with a few piccies.

Message 7/11             27-Feb-02  @  06:07 PM   -   RE: exs2 4 and hyper sets

FlorBurner

Another thing I just found to help create those note definitions is this:
you can have the exs program editor open
press record
click on each key on the keyboard in the program editor above each region in you exs drum program
and logic will record the click as a note on the arrange window
once finished hit stop
hold control and grap the right corner of the newly recorded part in the arrange window, shrink it to 1 bar in length
hit yes to compress (in time, not dynamics hehehe)
Do this for the rest of your drum programs (after creating the mapped objects with region names of coarse)
Pack them in a folder throw it at the bottom of your autoload beside your groove templates folder.

FlorBurner

Message 8/11             05-Mar-02  @  05:28 AM   -   RE: exs2 4 and hyper sets

Brett B

What's a hyper set?

Message 9/11             05-Mar-02  @  01:09 PM     Edit: 05-Mar-02  |  01:09 PM   -   RE: exs2 4 and hyper sets

milan

something you wont find in Reason hehe  

Message 10/11             06-Mar-02  @  01:02 AM   -   RE: exs2 4 and hyper sets

bedwyr

here's a little tip for anyone doing this. it's for drumsets mostly.

when you want to type in your drum names into the mapped instrument object open an exs instrument edit window too(for the one you want to do). place them on your screen so you can see both.

check the option in the exs instrument edit window so that when you hit a key on your keyboard, it jumps to the correponding sample. sadly the window doesn't scroll to it automatically so you have to scroll yourself.

when you hit a key, the mapped instrument window goes to the corresponding entry. so you just look in one window and type the sample name in the other. comprendez?/dallt?

it's very tedious going through all my old exs sample sets, so any more tips would help. ta.

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)