aaa building pc around midiman 24/96 - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: building pc around midiman 24/96

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             11-Mar-02  @  02:24 AM   -   building pc around midiman 24/96

Microbeat

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm building a pc around my midiman audiophile 24/96 soundcard. Iv'e checked the prorec site and they recommended to get a AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1ghz cpu, Iwill KK266 mobo, Matrox G450 dual display card, Enermax "Whisper" power supply, and to use Maxtor DiamondMax Plus, IBM and Western Digital hard drives. Pro rec also recommend rack mountable cases.

I want to know if anyone uses a midiman audiophile 24/96 soundcard on similar kit and whether there are any problems. If any of you guys can recommend a better selection of hardware to use with my card that'd be great.

Pro Rec is a US music site and all the links were for US based retailers. Can anyone recommend reasonable retailers in the UK?

Ta in advance
Pip

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             11-Mar-02  @  08:07 AM     Edit: 11-Mar-02  |  08:08 AM   -   RE: building pc around midiman 24/96

bedwyr

Link?: Link

there's pcindex so you can check prices at different online stores in the uk. there's direct links to the products at other sites.

Message 3/11             11-Mar-02  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: building pc around midiman 24/96

Microbeat

yep-i checked this site 10 mins after i posted this thread. how's cardiff bedwyr-safe?

safety
phil

Message 4/11             11-Mar-02  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: building pc around midiman 24/96

bedwyr

safe & wicked, mate ;)

tho we're having trouble with the 2nd verse & the middle8. might be time for a tactical pint.

Message 5/11             11-Mar-02  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: building pc around midiman 24/96

k

i dont think pro-rec's article is meant to mean 'this board & cpu is recommended' as in: 'others dont do the job right or have problems'... it's just the board THEY choose for the build.. I doubt they got 20 motherboards & built 20 identical builds and found THAT combi worked best... - There are tons of people running audiophiles on other setups with good results including me, (v.cheap Jetway board + duron 700) - all I can say is, why stop at a 1ghz athlon?... with prices so cheap, why not go for more grunt?

Also why 'recommend' a rackmount case?.... rackmount cases are NORMALLY for servers which do NOT sit in a room where anyone works, hence the noise they make is not a priority or an issue in the design... with less airspace for airflow in a rack they tend to be noisier - That doesnt mean again, DON'T use a rack, but i cant see why they'd RECOMMEND a rack when that means adding another 100 quid minimum (more like 150-200 quid) onto the price of the build - I'd rather use that extra dosh to get the pc set with a cart backup drive and CDRW...

Personaly i'd say that's the best method... a SMALL audio drive to max performance and backup in-session work to carts and finaly ALSO to CD - so that ALL finoished projects have TWO backups for maximum safty.

This is an issue NO-ONE mentions in 'pc for music nbuild' articles... when you loose a good track, you can NEVER get it back.... i think backup therefore is MORE important than dual screens and all that malarky, and should be at the top of your list when getting your build down....

checkout the price of Jaz or castlewood etc backups... cheap... checkout a cdrw?.. cheap... the fastest Westrn Dig ata100 drive (this site runs that same drive for all the audio tracks & admin area) costs about 250 quid for an 80gb... well take away 125 of that and get a SMALLER drive for your audio, then put the saved 125 quid to a cart backup.

We talk alot about 'pro' (even 'pro-rec' has 'pro' in the name) - well what 'PRO' studio does NOT use backup??... ok, I'm lucky cos i have a network to backup to (another GOOD option if your music pc is a second pc you are building) - but that network has a jaz cart bolted onto it too! - on top of that, I save critical stuff to a server space so ecven if my ing house burns down i STILL have the tracks! - ok that's rediculous for any tracks with audio - so one thing you CAN do is take your final archive CD of the track and stick it in your bank-vault until such time (hopefully NEVER) that you need it!

Message 6/11             11-Mar-02  @  04:34 PM   -   RE: building pc around midiman 24/96

damballah

I've heard some bad talk about defect rates on them Iwill mobos, too. careful.

Message 7/11             12-Mar-02  @  01:33 AM   -   RE: building pc around midiman 24/96

Microbeat

Cheers for the advice K. Do you manage to produce
professional sounding tracks i.e. releasable quality, with your current set up?
By the way I've already got a 100MB Zip Drive and Memorex CDRW drive which is the dogs lucks. I'll swop that stuff out into the new PC and maybe keep my current PII 400 MHz PC for Graphics and Internet/Office apps. Can you recommend a good network card?
I've just checked red Submarine and the specs look good so I may build my system with the same hardware they use!
Oh yeah Bedwyr, I'm from Cardiff originally so that's why I asked the question. Top City and nice people, clubbing & music scene shit hot in Brighton tho'.

Message 8/11             12-Mar-02  @  04:40 AM   -   RE: building pc around midiman 24/96

k

Link?:  Link

well you can produce that with anything pretty much IF you apply yourself to what you CAN do with the gear, not copying something you cannot acheive.... one synth, one drumbox.. that's all you need to rock a room.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/11             12-Mar-02  @  08:32 AM   -   RE: building pc around midiman 24/96

bedwyr

i don't think zips are big enough capacity for backup (the 100mb ones), wouldn't be for me anyway. it depends on what you do tho. if you're going to be recording lots of 'live' stuff i'd get a 250mb zip or a jaz. not that i backup onto anything but cd.

of course you can produce releasable tracks with that. you could do it with your current setup! what are you going to be doing?

Message 10/11             12-Mar-02  @  05:06 PM   -   RE: building pc around midiman 24/96

Microbeat

i'm a guitarist/songwriter/vocalist/programmer who used to front bands in his younger days but am now producing on my own, working with various other musicians.
the music i make is influenced by 60's/70's soundtrack music, detroit techno, folk rock and psychedelia.
current listening includesd k& d, fila brazilia, lemon jelly, aim, shuggie otis-i think my music is quite close to the sounds these guys make!
i think my zip 100mb will be adequate, is use it with my emu sampler aswell.

peace
phil

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)