aaa dual-monitor setups - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: dual-monitor setups

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             02-Aug-01  @  02:57 PM   -   dual-monitor setups

steve

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

can anyone fill me in here on whats required to get this going and how I`d go about seperating what I want onto different screens?

I`m being given a 15" monitor soon so I thought it would be nice to have one monitor above my desk and efx for displaying logics mixer + plugins and then keep this one by the smapler for the midi saide of things, kinda like a mini programming suite.

So is this possible? Win98 (not se), logic silver 4.7

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             02-Aug-01  @  02:58 PM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

steve

sorry, and a crappy agp videcard built in to my mobo if thats relevant at all.

Message 3/11             02-Aug-01  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

99devils

If you're talking about a true dual-head setup, where you run both monitors simultaneously and independently, then you'll need a new video card. You'd have to disable the one on your mobo.. It does have an AGP slot to expand with, right?

ATI Radeon VE, Matrox G400/G450 dual head, and there's an nVidia card. You'll need one of those, I think they go for between $75 and $150 US. Software will be included.

Otherwise, if you just wanna switch 'em off 1 at a time, there's boxes to do that (select between different keyboards and monitors).

-Craig

Message 4/11             02-Aug-01  @  08:38 PM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

steve

aw, fuck - no agp slot, not even any chance of a spare pci or isa on this pile of shit  

Cheers for your help anyway Craig, its appreciated.

Message 5/11             05-Aug-01  @  04:01 AM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

yams

Link?:  No link

It probably never allowed it anyway. Some motherboards will not allow a dual monitor setup. I have a setup (or used to before the big crash) with a ASUS mobo with a pci voodoo3000 and an agp ati radeon. I tried to use the voodoo with a cheap video card but the system didn't allow it.

Message 6/11             06-Aug-01  @  01:42 AM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

BJT

Yams is it the mobo causing it or is the PCI video card hogging the PCI Bus,
I remember that alot of the old PCI video cards won't work with another
video card for this reason.

Message 7/11             06-Aug-01  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

yams

Probably, I never was able to get 2 pci cards working together but thats probable because of the one crappy one. Some mobo's will tell you straight up in bios that it does not support 2 video cards.

Message 8/11             06-Aug-01  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

99devils

Well, the machines really aren't set up to handle 2 video cards at once, I don't think. I have no experience with that.. You're probably right, it's a motherboard thing. You may want to take a second look now though. What I'm talking about are single cards with the ability to drive 2 monitors from one card.

-Craig

Message 9/11             06-Aug-01  @  04:55 PM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

PointBeing

mine worked just fine, i used the onboard video (shit agp stuff, like yours, without an agp slot) and a voodoo3 2000, except i was using win2k, so i cant make any garauntees about quality. Pick up a voodoo3 2000 for cheap and give it a go. and i was using two 17" monitors :0)

aaron

Message 10/11             11-Aug-01  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

steve

thanks, but I have no free slots of any kind  

I`ll refer back to this thread once I`m finally able to dump this piece of crap for something that actually works properly and stuff, ta.

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)