aaa Sysex problem in sonar - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Sysex problem in sonar

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             08-Feb-02  @  02:52 AM   -   Sysex problem in sonar

Rikard

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

When i try to play back sysex data in sonar it starts to stutter and lag. Sometimes it results in dropouts. For example when i tried to update the OS for my nova (via sysex) it was not possible in cakewalk, i had to use cubase. But the sysex does not have to be that long for cakewalk to stutter. A simple filter sweep on that uses sysex can make it lag. Is it something in my setup (the midi interface) or is it sonar that is wrongly setup? I need help/ Thx

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             08-Feb-02  @  05:23 AM   -   RE: Sysex problem in sonar

Brett B

Is it sending the data at all. And make sure the midi data is not playing on an audio track. And you select in the setting make sure the filter does not have sysex checked.

Message 3/12             08-Feb-02  @  08:22 AM   -   RE: Sysex problem in sonar

gb

Link?:  Link

I've also given up upgrading the OS using Cakewalk. In fact, I use Windows Media Player for this.

The problem in this context is that Cakewalk doesn't sync the port number in the track to the port number in the syesex banks. So you change the port number for the track in the upgrade file, and the banks still go to port 1. Of course, you could change all 980 sysex bank port numbers one at a time too, but...

Some people fix this by hooking up their Novation product to port 1, but this of course is no solution if you have more than one upgradable synth.

Message 4/12             08-Feb-02  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: Sysex problem in sonar

sitar

I went through this a while ago and can't quite remember what I needed to do. If you can give Cakewalk a call, they'll point you straight pronto. I remember that with an OS upload I had to use port 1 and disable the other ports I don't think but I had to reroute my synths to port 1. Can't remember.

Are you talking about recording filter sweeps though? That's just a matter of arming your track, hitting record and sweeping away, or drawing it into the piano roll with the line or the pencil tool.

Message 5/12             08-Feb-02  @  01:29 PM   -   RE: Sysex problem in sonar

Rikard

Im not talking about sysex banks, im talking about playing back sysex from a track. Theres no problem in recording it, but playing it back again makes it stutter.

About the filter sweep: On my mc 505 it uses sysex for some parameter changes for instance when changing filter settings on single drum sounds (thats what i meant with filter sweep, im not talking about CC#'s).
Damn, i dont want to change to cubase.. i like sonar!

Message 6/12             08-Feb-02  @  06:54 PM   -   RE: Sysex problem in sonar

99devils

Link?: Link

I don't know about using sysex for filter sweeps and the like because I don't have any devices that work that way.

However, for loading an OS into a synth you most definately want to use the sysex window to do this, and not a standard MIDI track.

-Craig

Message 7/12             08-Feb-02  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: Sysex problem in sonar

Rikard

Yes, but the os update comes as a midi file, with sysex in the track.

Message 8/12             09-Feb-02  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Sysex problem in sonar

sitar

Yes but you still load the midi file into the sysex window as I remember. We might be talking about apples and oranges here. Did you call Cake or check their website and user forum?

Message 9/12             09-Feb-02  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: Sysex problem in sonar

gb

Like I said, it's not enough to change the port number for the track. You'll have to change the port number for every fuckin sysex bank, too.

Or make sure the port your Novation product is on is on top of the midi devices list. Pain in the ass for sure.

Sounds like Rikard has other problems with sysex, tho. I'm just going on about the os updates. Same thing would of course apply to midi files with sysex created on somebody else's setup.

Message 10/12             09-Feb-02  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: Sysex problem in sonar

Rikard

Im not talking about sysex banks. Im talking about sysex data recordeddirectly in the track. But im pretty sure that it is my midi interface that is the problem (DDD Midi link).

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)