aaa Reinstalling Win98 Question. - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Reinstalling Win98 Question.

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             01-Apr-01  @  07:00 PM   -   Reinstalling Win98 Question.

Microbeat

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I built my own PC in July 1999 and have been happy with the performance until recently. My Registry has swelled to 9MB and I'm sure the systems clogged up with superfluous dll's etc.
I'm running Cubase 3.7 on Win98 but have had nothing but problems since I downloaded the latest drivers for my Guilllemot Maxi Studio Isis Soundcard.
I think it’s time to Reinstall Win’98, but I’m wondering how I can keep a record of my favourites in Internet Explorer-Is ther any way you can do this?

Chow
Phil

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             02-Apr-01  @  03:26 AM   -   RE: Reinstalling Win98 Question.

dakkon

Well I did a little searching on Cnet and without too much trouble found a tool called URLBase that looks as though it can do what you need. It allows importing and exporting of bookmarks to and from IE and netscape and maybe others.

Simply download URLBase (http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-3356728-100-5223562.html?tag=st.dl.10000-103-3.lst-7-3.5223562) or go to www.cnet.com then go to downloads and search downloads with search criteria "URLBase"

After downloading, install (no reboot necessary gotta love that). Once installed go to file menu and choose create new dat file. This lets you choose the file name and where you want to store your bookmarks and URLBase uses this file. To restore them use the Synchronize option from import/export. I briefly tested this myself, although not the export, it looks very nice and clean.

All you need do is install and import the favorites to a *.ubx file for URLBase. Then back that file up to floppy, then after you reformat and install windows 98 again, download and install URLBase, use the file from floppy, and synchronize with your browser of choice.

Hope this helps 

Message 3/13             02-Apr-01  @  05:17 AM   -   RE: Reinstalling Win98 Question.

k

Link?: Link

mate you dont loose anything if you re-instal 98 all your dial up, bookmarks, email setings etc are all there after re-install. well they are when i've done it on mates machines - but mebbe you just have erroneous references to the old drivers?... mebbe stripping out the drivers frrom the registry and running reg-clean then re-installing the drivers might do it?.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/13             02-Apr-01  @  02:01 PM   -   RE: Reinstalling Win98 Question.

Jasper

jesus! nearly two years without a re-format!?the links you refer to can be found in c:\windows\favorites just copy this directory to a floppy disk or spare hard drive (if you have one)

Message 5/13             02-Apr-01  @  10:43 PM   -   RE: Reinstalling Win98 Question.

Microbeat

Nice one fellah's!

Message 6/13             04-Apr-01  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: Reinstalling Win98 Question.

Bit Crusher

I went damn near a year and a half without a format one time, but thats only because I was running linux 88% of the time ;-)

Message 7/13             04-Apr-01  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: Reinstalling Win98 Question.

Microbeat

can't say i've had any major probs with my set up except for conflicts with my guillemot & cubase.
've got rid of the card now.

peace
phil

Message 8/13             05-Apr-01  @  11:25 AM   -   RE: Reinstalling Win98 Question.

Jasper

I reformat about once every 4 months, gives me a chance to get rid of any stuff I don't really use, & sort out my samples etc. unfortunately last time I did it when I was seriously stoned like incapable, and I reformatted all my digital masters too.
I get twitchy if my pc doesn't boot up in less than 20 seconds.

Message 9/13             07-Apr-01  @  04:06 AM   -   RE: Reinstalling Win98 Question.

k

yeah well you can drasticaly reduce boot times in the bios.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/13             07-Apr-01  @  11:56 PM   -   RE: Reinstalling Win98 Question.

influx

Link?:  Link

just happened to drop in on this...

Kilo..what do you mean about toyin with the Bios? I have an old Compaq Mobo, and its got an ESS solo soundcard on it...I disabled it in the bios, but on startup it still tries to load it...can I avoid that?

it shows C: ESS SOLO: Bad command or file name...

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)