aaa order of driver installation? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: order of driver installation?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/15             19-Mar-01  @  02:03 PM   -   order of driver installation?

styas

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I just reformatted cuz my midi timing is all over the f*ing place and 16th notes sound shuffled randomly.. Life sux. and yes, my preroll was set properly.

I have no idea wtf is going on...
I have: p3 800 mhz
256 mb ram
tyan trinity mainboard
voodoo3 agp vidcard
soundblaster live
midiman delta 66
and a steinberg midex 8 usb interface
ps: i will seq'ing in cubase

is there an order i should follow on driver installation, and do i really have to restart every time it asks? or can i just have one massive restart after answering "no" after each installation?

what happened last night was i just installed everything in one shot, and got a big error after reboot on the dos startup screen...

any other suggestions bout gettin my 98se setup right the 1st time? this time i am not loading games, and would like to use the best ver of directx (if this even matters with the delta asio drivers), which is which version? i hear 8 is bad?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             19-Mar-01  @  03:07 PM   -   RE: order of driver installation?

k

hmm.. mebbe overloading windows with too many midi ports?... you can only have 11 i think in total... dunno 'bout that voodoo either..

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/15             19-Mar-01  @  04:47 PM   -   RE: order of driver installation?

Jasper

Link?:  No link

version 8 is bad? damn! my midi timing leavs a lot to be desired also.. listening to a repeating 1 bar loop and it sounds like a live drummer. you can't un-upgrade it though.

Message 4/15             19-Mar-01  @  07:27 PM   -   RE: order of driver installation?

Link?:  Link

U can download something called DirectX buster that uninstalls DirX........ also 11 midi ports only applies 2 Win95, i think.
Ive spent the last few weeks tryin 2 sort out my system and ive found that DirectX 6.1 (standard version with Win98SE) is the best 4 me wit Cubase 5.
Also maybe adding a single device 2 your system @ a time and installing the drivers one at a time may b the best thing to do, much better for IRQ`s etc also.

Message 5/15             19-Mar-01  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: order of driver installation?

99devils

Yes, definately reboot when the installations prompt you to. The drivers don't actually get loaded into the OS until you do, so if you install 3 pieces of hardware, the second knows little about the first and the third knows little about the other two.

Is it completely necessary to have both the SB and the Delta in the same machine? I don't know that that is causing your problem, but it's a good place to start - get rid of any extraneous hardware that isn't "must have". Install the USB stuff dead last - Physically unplug all USB devices while you're installing everything else. Don't do a directX upgrade, just install the standard Win98SE stuff. Make sure you're running as little system tray stuff as possible - disk checkers, virus scanners, etc. Minimum stuff!

If everything's working OK, then load up your non-essential stuff one app or hardware at a time. Test after every install, and listen for it starting to go south. If you find something that's killing your timing, then you'll have to do without it.

-Craig

Message 6/15             19-Mar-01  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: order of driver installation?

styas

thanks guys. any other suggestions?

Message 7/15             22-Mar-01  @  02:01 PM   -   RE: order of driver installation?

Jasper

File?:  File

Cubase can be a very touchy program.txt

I've included a text file that I pinched from cubase.net - my apologies to the original author "Baxter" - but it's got some good stuff in that covers quite a lot of the tweaks you should do to stream windows in general.

Message 8/15             22-Mar-01  @  02:03 PM   -   RE: order of driver installation?

Jasper

that looks a bit messed up when you view it kilo.
styas - right click and download it to view it properly.

Message 9/15             22-Mar-01  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: order of driver installation?

influx

Link?:  Link

amazing that such a powerful machine would be such a flop.

Message 10/15             23-Mar-01  @  11:38 AM   -   RE: order of driver installation?

Jasper

windurze init. never fails to introduce new and fresh errors about a day or so after you fix the old ones.. not long until me rm1x now though.. heh.

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)