aaa is this right??? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

10-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: is this right???

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/15             28-Feb-01  @  01:04 AM   -   is this right???

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Somethin is really pissin me off @ the moment and i need help !!!
Ive got a Terratec 88MT Sound card (please keep reading this is a general post!!!), when i have say 10 audio tracks i can have the latency down to 5ms, even with quite a few plugins/EQ,
but as soon as i add midi parts, around 6 or 7 plus i am getting lots of clickin`. Now is this the usual sign of my PC not coping (Athlon 750, 256 mb Ram etc) or is there either something wrong with the card/my setup, i mean in the modern age of Nuendo DAWs its seems strange that my PC cant cope with 16midi tracks when i can have 16 stereo audio tracks with EQ and plugins runnin with no clicks, bloody Atari STs used 2 cope with 16 midi tracks 4 christ sake!!!!!
Anyones opinion would be greatfully received!!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             28-Feb-01  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: is this right???

99devils

Link?:  No link

What DAW software are you running? Have
you tried upping the latency? Have you
tried bouncing down any fragmented audio
tracks (tracks where you have lots of
little snippets of audio instead of one
buig track)?

-Craig

Message 3/15             28-Feb-01  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: is this right???

i am using Cubase32 v5. i can solve the problem by upping the latency, but to around 24ms, but i thought my system would easily cope with 16 channels of midi. i mean i can use around about 30 audio tracks all with EQ compression etc and still have the cards asio set 2 5/8ms.
another strange one is that if i set the midi tracks in Cubase to a Virtual instrument then the clicks dissapear!! Weird!!
is midi really that big of a job and also i thought the signs of latency set too low were audio dropouts and not clicks, which almost sound like digital clippin (but still happen when the input is muted)!???!!??

Message 4/15             28-Feb-01  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: is this right???

k

hmm... what slot and irq is this device set on??.. cos the reason it's NOt happening wit vsti's is there is not midi data going to the card only audio... ergo: the problem must be getting data to the card reliably

Message 5/15             01-Mar-01  @  12:32 AM   -   RE: is this right???

so do we think this is a MOBO problem??
i have tried the midi on an SB gold card i installed but i had EXACTLY the same problem !!

Message 6/15             01-Mar-01  @  06:39 AM   -   RE: is this right???

k

hang on - athalon 750 ??... when was that released then?.. i thought it went, duron to 700, then athalon started at 800... ??

Message 7/15             01-Mar-01  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: is this right???

No i bought mt ATHLON well b4 the Duron actually came out !!

Message 8/15             01-Mar-01  @  12:05 PM   -   RE: is this right???

So K. do u think that a USB/Parallel midi interface (midiman etc) will cure this problem??

Message 9/15             01-Mar-01  @  01:22 PM   -   RE: is this right???

k

hmmmmm... i honestly dunno, but i'm suspicious of this old athalon, well.. more with the mobbo that's with it... what's the chipset on that ?? - there were/are some fixes required for via sets, even new boards come with the files, (4 files) these address multimedia and other 'problems' and fixes them... i'm wondering oif this older board had those drivers applied, if they were available then, or even if they are compatible now with this board you have or are even required for that board (not knowing anything about it). - - the files are quite big, but they do come on a disk with the newer boards, you can also d/load them from the mobbo company - it's the muultimedia one you need really (if you need it at all) - so i think, don't rush it.. let's check a few things first.

Message 10/15             02-Mar-01  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: is this right???

So K what would u suggest i try 1st geeza??
My mobo is a Biostar AMD751 chipset (not VIA) and supposedly better for audio work.....??
but i am wondering about my AGP SIS6326 graphics card or maybe i just need a midi interface either USB or Parallel??

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)