aaa What card would you buy for... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: What card would you buy for...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             04-May-01  @  11:43 AM   -   What card would you buy for...

Joel

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

During the past 2 years ive been using SB Live card with APS Drivers wich is "OK" for starters, but iīm getting fed up and need a Profesional twist.
Iīm into House music and similar styles and my idea is to work completly under my computer wich is well prepared EXEPT the sound card.i have PIII Coppermine 866 Mhz, 512 MB, Asus MotherBoard two 17" monitors and lots of nš1 software progīs to blast the CPU to hell. What i would like is a card that takes the load off the CPU (DSPīs) and Sampler, Sinths ect...
I know there exist the Pulsar, Pulsar XTC, Yamaha SW1000XG, and other cards dedicated to what iīm asking BUT after reading out some comments made on these and other specific cards i just canīt make my mind.

Please any comments to save money and to gain more confidence on any of these cards or other cards not mentioned will be carefully taken into consideration.

What would you buy and why?

Many thankīs

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             04-May-01  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

99devils

Link?: Link

If you are in the States, the Oasys PCI from Korg has come down to $499 in this month's Guitar Center ad.

-Craig

Message 3/16             04-May-01  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

k

remember about mixing downn.. like usually you get the bassline done early right!.. ok, setup the eq & fx etc if any, then bouce all that down to a file of 1 bar bassline loop audio - turn OFF the bassline VSTi synth track & fx etc... carry on, at the end or at anytime you can reopen that track, & switch On the eq/fx etc and retweak it... thats digital babeeeeeeeeeeeee

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/16             04-May-01  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

99devils

And with that much PC I don't think you'll need to be all that worried about taxing your system. Should be sufficient for what you want to do no problem. If it isn't, then you can always render/bounce./submix, etc. like k is suggesting.

-Craig

Message 5/16             07-May-01  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

Joel

I really apreciate your response, but my real concern is to get rid of the Sound Blaster and then APS drivers for something more PRO for future use. I was familiar with the advice given and have use it in practise allmost everytime. If someone could tell me their experiences with the Pulsar II card and what diference is there between Pulsar II and Pulsar XTC iīd be greatfull.

Message 6/16             07-May-01  @  02:54 PM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

99devils

Tell us more about how you work. All software? Any hardware? Do you use an outboard mixer? Do you need multiple ins and outs?

-Craig

Message 7/16             07-May-01  @  11:13 PM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

Terratec 88MT is cheap as fuck !!!
8in 8out 24bit 96khz low latency and cheap !!!

Message 8/16             08-May-01  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

Joel

OK hereīs what i got...

PIII Coppermine 866 Mhz, 512 MB, Asus MotherBoard two 17" monitors runing
*Sound Forge 4.5
*Reason
*Logic Audio 4.6
*VST Instruments
*Acid PRO
*Reactor (witch i donīt really use cause i get confused on it) if anyone could give a few pointers on this one id apreciate it.
*Recycle

Now i have a very fucked up way of working: i use ACID to timestrech the loops and the if they are rythim loops i pass them to RECYCLE if i want to change it, after that i take them back to ACID and sequence what would be the main structure of the song, onwards to get some other loops like the bass and melody type stuff i use Reason and the VST Instruments if any.
I now my way of working is shit but i learned on my own and besides a midi keyboard and the Phatboy controler i donīt have any more hardware equipment. I donīt use logic audioīs Audio cause i donīt understand it (if anyone would like to give me some pointers ill be also glad to here that too)
The reason that iīm interested in a beter sound card is that in the near future i would like to work beter under logic audio and be able to mix all the chanels with good quality sound and not worry about mastering at home.
The only hardware equipment i would ever really buy would be a sampler. But right now its the least of my worries.
I believe that my setup is too modest for real PRO music (like we hear in the clubs) but i think its the idea and feeling we should try to express and not the quality of how it was mastered, iīll leave that to the PROīs at the studios to take care of. Iīm looking for a sound card that will let me continue making House tracks without stoping at every minute to make sure every thing is OK to prevent it to hang. IN OTHER WORDS IīM SICK OF "BOUNCING" ALL THE TIME.

Message 9/16             08-May-01  @  01:21 PM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

Joel

Fuck i wanīt to make music not turn into a computer scientist.

Is the pulsar up to what iīm leading on to, or is there another cheaper solution?

I wonīt be needing ins or outs for now unless i buy me a sampler. but i donīt intend too right now.

Is the pulsar a NO PROBLEM PROUF, 0 LATENCY, GIVE IT ALL YOU GOT, IT WONīT CRASH, WITH A DELIGHT SOFTWARE PACKAGE THAT CAN LET YOU BE MORE CREATIVE KIND OF CARD OR NOT.

It may look like iīve allready made up my mind but to be honest or somebody tells me with good facks why this card is not a good investment or i donīt see any other card in the market that could offer so many different posibilities at your own will without mentioning how expansionable it can get if you need it in the future.

Message 10/16             08-May-01  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

omen_omen

Hi Joel,

Have you checked out the creamwave powersampler.

Its a 24/32bit 96Khz sampling sound card, therefor you could have the best of both
worlds, a sampler, and a pro sound card.

The link, http://www.creamware.de/en/Products/powersampler/features.asp

It Ģ399, not sure how much in dollars.

Jamie

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)