aaa velocity scaling using the transform command - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

10-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: velocity scaling using the transform command

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/22             02-Jan-01  @  01:33 PM   -   velocity scaling using the transform command

byte

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i cant figure out how to scale velocities (exponential fade ins and outs etc) with the transform command (functions -> transform) in the matrix editor. does anyone feel like making me happy by sharing some info about this?

thanks in advance

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/22             02-Jan-01  @  05:05 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

k

tell me about it, i've tried for hours to figure it out... what a nightmare

Message 3/22             05-Jan-01  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

Jasper

ok this'll piss you off (and me), i managed to get it working once.

but I can't do it again.. all I can remember is that I didn't use the transform setting that you'd expect to work.. it was something like multiply& add.. wierd.

Message 4/22             05-Jan-01  @  03:35 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

byte

yesterday i came to understand the crecendo command in the transform menu. for some reason, the operation isnt applied to the selected notes as the text on the screen implies. if you define the interval in which the selected notes are yourself then the crecendo command works. strange... i havent yet figured the exponential velocity stuff out yet. anyone else?

Message 5/22             05-Jan-01  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

k

yeah tell me bout it?.. oh wait.... "aherdat!!!"

the preset curve works, but try to create your own (exponential, user-map) to do a fade up... nothing happens so far.... doh!!

Message 6/22             19-Jan-01  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

jj

so funny you mention this. This is exactly what i've been working with for the past coupla days! I don't got that shit going 100% but I've a few tips:

1. try the randomize function. Will totally freak your velos out.

2. for velocity ramps, select the notes you wanna transform(set them all to zero first), enter the dialog for crescendo, switch from crescendo to rel. crescendo, set the top number to 0 and the bottom number to say 300 or so. This will give you a ramp from 0-127. If you can figure out how this function is working, you can make nuanced ramps and fades.

But fuck all if it makes sense really.

Message 7/22             19-Jan-01  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

k

do you think the guys who make logic actually also make music??... eek! - it's a shame such a grteat programme is fucked over by a few sadly implemented features... i still like it, but stuff like this doesn't help

Message 8/22             19-Jan-01  @  11:33 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

roller8

hmm... if the notes are all the same pitch, such as a drum roll or such I just go to Hyper Edit, switch to the drum grid and use the little "+" tool to graphically draw the velocity slope in. Alternatively, I use HyperDraw on the Arrange screen and draw a volume slope in there graphically. I know it doesn't answer the original question, but I hope it helps somehow. Good luck.

Message 9/22             22-Jan-01  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

Jasper

if you have an old version of cakewalk it's actually quicker to export the midi from logic to cake, use the scale function and export it back into logic, than it is to try to get this alien madness to work.

nice move by the programmers if their intent was to kill inspirational moments dead.

what's the point in all those settings then if all it ever seems to do is 1)nothing or 2) all velocities/values reduced to 0.5% of their original. great!

Message 10/22             22-Jan-01  @  03:33 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

k

total bollox eh?.. Emagic in the dawghaus yet again.,... cha!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)