aaa NuBie On Reason - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: NuBie On Reason

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/23             07-Jul-01  @  08:29 PM   -   NuBie On Reason

dave_outland

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Yes, I am new to Reason. I have been making breakz for about 2 years, using Acid, SoundForge, and Vegas. I dabbled a bit in Cubase, but found it to be a bit hard to get over the initial learning curve, and with no midi controller found it to be a real pain. Well, I didn't really give it much practice to tell the truth. Then I got a copy of Reason. Damn, I had used Rebirth before, but never really got hooked on it. Now however, I can't stop using Reason.
I have a million questions, and instead of asking them all, I've narrowed it down to one. Is there any books out there for reason. I would just love to read about all the options available, etc.... Also, for the loop player. Could someone sorta explain to me how to set the different play points on it. Thanks. I'll be looking forward to more discussions in this forum.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/23             07-Jul-01  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

dave_outland

Oh, I almost forgot. I need some kind of controller to tweak the knobs. I think a phatboy might suit the purpose very well, although I'm not sure. I would really like something to use for the drum sequencer? Suggestions Please.

Message 3/23             09-Jul-01  @  02:01 AM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

k

Link?: Link

how about an old Fostex mixtab ? - havent looked to much at the control side of reason... does it have a LEARN function? - also you mention the Loop Player... do you mean the REXPLAYER ?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/23             09-Jul-01  @  07:56 AM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

dave_outland

yeah, I meant the rexplayer.
I realized how to target single hits and tune them, but I'm curious how to just play them at different points, and rearanged the pattern and such.

Message 5/23             09-Jul-01  @  07:07 PM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

moujik

Link?:  Link

One of the really good things about Reason is the learn function - bascially any midi controller will work, it doesnt matter if it's hard-wired to specific CC's, like the Fatboy is.

As for books, have you read the PDF's that come with it? They really are well written; give examples etc & even have pretty reasonable tutorials on synth programming! Anyway, I'd go through these with a fine tooth comb first. They're free after all.

I'm not sure what you're after with the Rexplayer - do you want to vary the amount of the loop that plays, or the start points? Be a bit more specific & I/someone else will try to help.

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense ;)

Message 6/23             10-Jul-01  @  03:55 AM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

k

the re-ordering of the parts/lices happens on the sequencer pattern... the slices all have a row in the pattern sequencer for rexplayer.. up to 96 slices... you order the slices there in the pattern

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/23             12-Jul-01  @  08:31 AM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

dave_outland

I meant having different start points, and perhaps altering the order of of the hits in the loop. I quess I should have had a look at the pdf files first. Thanks for the replies.
Either of you heard of the new controller called Bit Stream from Waveidea.....? I think it looks pretty good. However, I'm new to MIDI controllers and I'm just going on reviews, but CM said it makes an ideal partner for appz such as Reason, ReBirth, GigaStudio and Buzz.....

Message 8/23             12-Jul-01  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

moujik

Link?:  Link

the Waveidea controller looks excellent - totally programmable, LOADS of knobs....really good.

The only slight problem you might have is I think it has only 8 sliders - which I suspect you'd want to use to control the mixer in Reason....so therefore you could only mix 8 tracks (or groups) at a time.

However, it certainly looks the best of the bunch at the moment - I saw something similar in Turnkey (boo!) for about £1000, so at about £350 its pretty good value. I'll likely get one once I've cleared my post-unemployment debts....

Definately check out the PDF's in Reason - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how useful they are.

As far as the Rexloops go, I'm not 100% how you could do this, other than deleting the leading portion of the loop you dont want. I'll try and have a look tonight to suggest another way.

Message 9/23             15-Jul-01  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

k

yeah, altering the start points is done with the midi file - the rexplayer loads to loop with the slices in order and to re-order the slices you gotta use the midifile which comes with it in the pattern in the sequencer track - go into edit mode and use midi parts re-ordered to re-arrange the play order of the slices - as to changing the slice start points, i didnt find a way to do that, i dont think you can do that in rexplayer cso it's not loading the sample slices into a sampler on a note mapped basis like it would with an akai where after loading you could offset the sample start time per key.

Message 10/23             16-Jul-01  @  06:51 AM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

dave_outland

ah, yes. I see now what the Rexplayer is more meant for now. thanks. I was thinking it was more a sampler type thing. Kewlio, thanks for the help.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)