aaa help! how do I...? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: help! how do I...?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/27             18-Dec-01  @  11:41 AM   -   help! how do I...?

bster

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i've accidently deleted a file (vmm32.vxd)from the windows\system32\drivers location when trying to delete vmm.vxd as told todo so when updating midisport8X8 drivers, i've copied the files on to a floppy from another pc but cannott copy them back into my pc as ms-dos is coming back saying bad command or file name, here is what i am typing as told by a mate.
a:\vmm32.vxd c:\windows\system32\drivers
is this correct? i'm using windows 98 by the way.

help help help!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/27             18-Dec-01  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

k

Link?:  Link

oh dear..... you cant copy the file over cos it is created at setup... the vmm32.dll is like a shell that carries the other .dll's inside it so to speak

you can go to your regedit (start/run/regedit) open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, system, current control set, vmm32 files.

You'll see on the right screen all the files being loaded thru the vmm32.dll

you have a line probably in your system.ini referring to the driver but it's gone because the vmm32.dll is gone.. You cant copy one over cos each is unique to the machine it was created on....

re-install windows to resurrect the vmm32 i'd say.. re-installing windblows will not remove your shortcuts, dialup or boomarks or email addresses etc.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/27             18-Dec-01  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

knowa

see, this is what scares me about going PC. how often does this stuff happen?

Message 4/27             18-Dec-01  @  08:18 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

k

never if you DONT delete critical system files  

never mind it's only 30 minutes to re-install OS and that only requires you watch TV and press a key when you hear a bleep.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/27             18-Dec-01  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

influx

yeah. shouldnt be in windows deleting shit anyway!!!

just reinstall can ya bster?

Message 6/27             19-Dec-01  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

bster

ok i'll have a go when i find someone to do it.

Influx- i deleted it because Midiman's website instructions told me to delete vmm.vxd from the windows\system\drivers pathway, i couldnt find it so took a stupid chance that it was vmm32.vxd,close enough!.

cheers k

Message 7/27             19-Dec-01  @  03:13 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

knowa

ok. guess I'm biased because the only time I tried to re-install a PC OS (Win 98) with another fairly experienced person, it just completely failed and now the machine won't even boot up. My STRONGLY pro-PC friend said it's easier to screw things up on a PC than on a mac, but even managed to twist that observation into an anti-mac argument. until I actually have the cash and take the plunge, I'm gonna be siffing around here for reasons not to buy a PC.

Message 8/27             19-Dec-01  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

k

well your freind obviously didnt know what he was doing - re-installing 98 is a total doddle.

Message 9/27             19-Dec-01  @  07:10 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

damballah

Link?: Link

nah, I had a situation like that with a fuckin' PC bluescreening during win98se's setup.exe. if you got the extra $1000, get the mac. I used to administer a whole mac-based publishing production department (servers, workstations, imagesetter and proofer RIPs, drum-scanning and color correcting, automated backup, etc) with nothing more than system and norton discs. and even then it wasn't much work. the other departments need a 50+k-a-year MIS just so they could use their "superior" PCs as glorified typewriters and adding machines with email. and he was always busy fixin shit.

anway, I've got a PC in my studio. what a dope.

Message 10/27             19-Dec-01  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

knowa

actually it was NT, and the friend was a she co-worker who agreed that it shouldn't cause a problem, but it did. not saying this is normal, though, and I'm on an NT machine now with never a problem.

damballah, let's agree to a truce and tell me more about about your Mac/PC experience, perhaps in my "recovering mac user" thread. there are numerous silly debates about which platform is superior, and I'm not trying to start all of that. I've read a number of posts in favor of making the switch, and would like to read some opposing views. I rally don't know much about computers. I'm just trying to get a realistic picture of what switching to a PC might mean.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)