aaa Your Dream SoundCard - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Your Dream SoundCard

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/28             07-Feb-01  @  03:54 PM   -   Your Dream SoundCard

stefan_surzycki

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

If price was not an object, and the world was really flat, what would all of you all's dreamcard be, (real or imaginary)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/28             07-Feb-01  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: Your Dream SoundCard

"

Well, you can buy the Scope system for about $5,000.00 or the SoundScape for about $5000-$6000.00 or ProTools or Kyma. Most people who ask this question are wondering when are they going to come up with a total studio on a card with pro quality. Answer, they have its just not in anybodys price range that would ask that question. For six grand you could buy a Triton and a hard disk recorder and a cheap computer for sequencing ect. When it comes to real quality you get what you pay for and I don't see that changing real soon. I might be wrong but they don't seem to be able to put enough dsp horsepower on a single PCI card to do the whole thing. You can buy extra expansion stuff but then your back up into the high $$$$$. I suggest you freeze yourself for about ten years when you thaw out cards like the systems above will be affordable to people who dream of a "cheap Studio on a sound card solution." Its more likely that soft synths with built in cdrw burner capility something like orion or Reason coupled with a 2-3 ghz cpu system will get you there alot sooner that the studio on a card route. The reason is simple. Cpu's are getting faster and cheaper more quickly than specialized proprietary dsp chips like the ones on cards like Oasys or Pulsar.

Message 3/28             07-Feb-01  @  07:30 PM   -   RE: Your Dream SoundCard

m

im quite happy with my SBlive with APS divers really :-)

Message 4/28             09-Feb-01  @  04:21 AM   -   RE: Your Dream SoundCard

k

well i'd get protools simply cos i could rent it out. people'd pay more for the name

Message 5/28             09-Feb-01  @  04:27 AM   -   RE: Your Dream SoundCard

k

but for personal use i'm happy with the hoontech dsp2496/dac2000 rack setup. i'd like to try a midiman IOIO tho & a egosys lappy unit wamibox. soundcarpe i'd like actually if it was 'best for home use' - but for a studio setup to make cash, protools. i'd lease it cos protools plus a few old quality mic's and some tasty valve eq and you are setup to reap the wads of dosh from punters.... protools do good leasing schemes as it goes it works out very affordable and they do upgrade paths, support thru contract time etc... i think they even re-lease used systems mebbe??... then rent it to labels.

Message 6/28             09-Feb-01  @  01:33 PM   -   RE: Your Dream SoundCard

R:

M:

You are probably happy with functionality of APS/Live because you didn't pay for it. The crack destroyed the future of the product which I payed lot's of money for. I hope that it blows up your PC one day.

R

Message 7/28             09-Feb-01  @  05:53 PM   -   RE: Your Dream SoundCard

k

huh?.. what you can get a crack free physical object now? (the card?) dont get it?

Message 8/28             09-Feb-01  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: Your Dream SoundCard

R

K, as you probably know there is a crack which makes E-MU APS drivers work on SBLive. This is the crack I'm talking about. E-MU had big plans for APS but since the drivers could be easily applied on SBLive they were affraid that they would loose money so they dropped the whole thing. Leaving us users of APS no prospect for a driver update. And SBLive users with drivers which they didn't pay for. Cool. eh?

R

Message 9/28             09-Feb-01  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: Your Dream SoundCard

easy ed

Aw, come on, you're blaming the crackers and not the marketing dept. of Creative? They wrote the fucking drivers originally, they knew most of the features of the APS could have been made available on the SB Live, but they decided only to implement it on a "high end" card, even though they are based around the same chip. This was a blatant plan to make as much money as possible out of our market (musicians). All the crackers have done is give ppl the opportunity to get extra functionality out of a cheap card. That's what hacking should be about imho, sussing out how things work and then making more features available, and enabling hidden stuff. I don't see anything wrong with that, personally, but I can understand ppl being pissed off if they paid full whack for the APS, then the support was dropped....

Message 10/28             09-Feb-01  @  11:40 PM   -   RE: Your Dream SoundCard

m

Well i end up buying most of the software i use when im sure i like it because of constant support and updates. the only thing i just dont see any point for is wavelab cos you'got to have the bloody cd in the drive. if they'd change that i would buy it.
Ive been using the APS drivers for a While now and i am very familiar with the mixer and very happy with it, so if EMU did have big plans then sooner or later i would probably upgrade to one of their products.

i dont think anybody who is serious about audio production is going to go out and buy a soundblaster and then go download some unsupported drivers that may never get another update. i know i certainly wouldn't. but its great to start out on and if anything should only popularise the EMU products.

my point with the above comment was that you dont need a $1000 card to get busy making decent tunes, some of my friends buy stuff so often they dont even know how to use it. (or need 8 outputs at this stage of the game.)

anyway not much chance of my computer blowing up, in fact its never been more stable not a single crash in the last two weeks 

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)