aaa what's people's drive arrangements? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: what's people's drive arrangements?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/29             17-Sep-01  @  05:43 PM   -   what's people's drive arrangements?

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

just interested - what drives do you have, how are they configured & formatted and where is your swapfile residing etc..?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/29             24-Sep-01  @  11:27 AM   -   RE: what's people's drive arrangements?

bedwyr

30 gb ibm deskstar, partitioned 5gb for software, 25 for audio/video/rubbish

btw does anyone now a fast defrag thingy, i'm v.bored waiting for
the microsoft one to finish, although the little flashing squares
are qutie hypnotic ...

Message 3/29             24-Sep-01  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: what's people's drive arrangements?

Jasper

Link?:  No link

I just stick it all anywhere nowadays, I have a 2 gig boot and apps partition and the rest (8 gig) is games/data/audio. I also have a 1.3gig backup drive.

Never noticed any real difference in performance to when audio had it's own drive.

With the amount of tracks you can get running these days who cares about tweaks to get 2 extra channels?

Message 4/29             25-Sep-01  @  06:53 AM   -   RE: what's people's drive arrangements?

Sensoniq

I just have a single 13 gig on a 500mhz Pentium, I don't know what I'd do if it crashed. I'm pushing 640mb RAM though, and I use every byte  

I'm thinking about getting a second drive, a fast one good for recording...any suggestions?

Message 5/29             25-Sep-01  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: what's people's drive arrangements?

99devils

C -> Windows 98 and Win2k installs, swap file. 6GB, FAT32

D -> Win2k "work" partition for programming/database work and stuff like that.. 2GB, NTFS.. I work for a public university and I sometimes use the home machine for work.. I need the security and sometimes the file compression capabilities of NTFS for this stuff.

E -> Audio only. I have a samples folder for samples and then let Cakewalk have the rest of it. I think it's 8GB, and it's formatted FAT32 with the z:64 option.

-Craig

Message 6/29             25-Sep-01  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: what's people's drive arrangements?

99devils

Oh, physically it's all one drive. I'm going to be adding a new drive soon, 40-80GB worth.. That'll be all audio, and then I'll split the current drive between secure (NTFS) and OS partitions, with a seperate partition for swap space.

I picked up a degree of anal-retentiveness wile learning to set up UNIX boxes   I almost always put swap and temp space in seperate partitions so that they don't run the OS partition out of space.. This is another good reason to have audio on a different partition than the OS.. If you have them seperate and your audio app runs your machine out of space, it hasn't crippled the OS. And if Windows gets greedy while managing swap space, it can't take more than the partition.

My 2 cents anyways..

-Craig

Message 7/29             27-Sep-01  @  12:27 AM   -   RE: what's people's drive arrangements?

bl_nd

Isn't it good to set swap space to a fixed amount, like one to two times your ram? just curious.

c: OS & programs (& swapfile) -- fat32

d: cakewalk data, samples -- fat32

I haven't set up a partition for the swap file. Rather I just set the file to a fixed amount, since a few sites recommend that (including the PRO REC site). But obviously, I'm just following advice w/ blind ignorance of the real result.

I can't say much about the performance of my system just yet...we wait until after actuarial exam.

Message 8/29             27-Sep-01  @  05:30 AM   -   RE: what's people's drive arrangements?

damballah

2 physical drives, C: is 8 gig for boot and apps, D: is a 30 GB ATA 100 maxtor mostly for audio (plus a 1 gig scsi jaz w some 3 or 4 carts laying around)

Message 9/29             27-Sep-01  @  07:07 AM   -   RE: what's people's drive arrangements?

panama

File?:  [image]

[image file]

1 - 8 gig IBM 7200 SCSI, Mac os standard with
bios  

2 - 30 gig Western Dig. Ultra ATA, mac format

Message 10/29             27-Sep-01  @  03:43 PM   -   RE: what's people's drive arrangements?

DesignedMind

2 IBM deskstar's (7200 rpm's, 2 mb cache, ata 100) in a raid array (striping). what most you guys might not know is that if you use mirroring (the raid configuration where one disc records everything that is written to the other, so if one crashes, you are still o.k.) your read speeds are almost doubled, because it reads from both drives at once.. but there is a VERY slight write hit. now, the raid config i am using (claled striping) writes chucks of data to one drive, than the other, and so on, so when the computer needs the file, it reads from both disks simultaneously, and it can write to both simul. Thats what gives me the famed 56 mb/sec SUSTAINED input and output. :-) oh yea, but i rarely use aduio tracks, so its all for naught anyway (not counting all the vid work i do)

so yea, 80 gigs of storage (4 gigs are used for file system info, and the fact that 40 gigs does not equal 40 billion bytes...), 512 mb ddr ram (running at cas 2 latency)

aaron

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)