aaa How do I prevent MIDI & Drifting Out? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

10-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: How do I prevent MIDI & Drifting Out?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/30             10-Feb-01  @  02:48 PM   -   How do I prevent MIDI & Drifting Out?

tonyl

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Right, couldn't find this with a search so here we go ...

I've recently started using using audio to compliment my external gear but can't get it to sync.

With a basic kick coming out of the S3000XL & a few audio drums, they start drifting out after about 10seconds & sound like someone falling down the stairs after 30s.

On its own my MIDI timing is solid whether its on from the external sampler or using the s/card (SW1000XG) onboard kit.

I've experimented with tweaking the basic audio settings in VST 5.0 but was waaaaaaaaaay outta my depth in the Synchronization Box.

Can anyone help me out here? What settings should I make?

My PC is a fast PIII 700 with 128 ram, fast hard drive. Main gear is an 3000XL & Supernova.

Cheers, Tone

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/30             10-Feb-01  @  04:58 PM   -   RE: How do I prevent MIDI & Drifting Out?

k

well you gotta use the latest sw1000 drivers, are you?.. and how is the SYSTEM settings in AUDIO/SYSTEM?... check that first.

Message 3/30             11-Feb-01  @  07:51 AM   -   RE: How do I prevent MIDI & Drifting Out?

phunkytek

you have to set the external to slave to midi clock, read the manual for your device. and then in cubase in the sycronization choose the midi port that the external device is on and set it to match so the clock is transmitted on that port. generaly you want to add an extra measure at the begining of the external sequence and cubase sequence to allow them to lock up before the song data starts.

Message 4/30             11-Feb-01  @  10:48 AM   -   RE: How do I prevent MIDI & Drifting Out?

tonyl

k> got the latest drivers from website & i've done all the tweaks in audio/system that the VST manual recomends. hoever theres a huge section in there about the sync meny & i dont understand it really. the fact that i get drift after 10s - does that point 2a particular setting that u know of?

phunky> i've got vst outputting midi clock & i've got the set for external but i dont know to set up the s3000xl. i didnt think u could?

is it normal 2 use audio AND midi or is it either one of the other due this timing drift problem?

cheers, tone

Message 5/30             12-Feb-01  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: How do I prevent MIDI & Drifting Out?

phunkytek

I thought you were trying to sync two sequencers. Sorry. Are they loops you are using, it sounds like they are not matching the tempo of the song properly. Sync is only used to match midi clock for using external gear like fx or sequencers or arpegiator that lock up to the clock of the master. If your loops are the wrong tempo you need to fix them. recording them into cubase then using the fit audio to loop will sync them right up. If you have wave lab and a scsi port its a piece of cake to pull samples in and save them on disc, then import the audio into cubase. If your midi timing is shit and you are just sequencing midi drum tracks and single drum hits and your timing is off, you need go to the system section on the audio drop down list and set priority to normal. This gives equal priority to audio and midi to keep them in sync. Highest priority gives it all to audio and the midi goes all over the place. Let me know which of these applies and i will walk you through it.

Message 6/30             12-Feb-01  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: How do I prevent MIDI & Drifting Out?

tonyl

phunkytek>
nah the problem is between audio on the hard disk & MIDI whether it be coming from external gear or the MIDI drum kit on the s/card. I'm using .rex files so temp shouldnt be an issue. i'm running the latest ASIO drivers off yamaha website, i've done all that preroll=latency & tried all of the priority settings!

last nite i think i got it 2 lock in for a while but ONLY while i was looking a small section on the arrange page. take it off loop & it drifts again. i've also tried that empty 2 bars at the start of the track. STILL no go.

tone

AND recycle doesnt work.

GUTTED.

Message 7/30             13-Feb-01  @  12:29 AM   -   RE: How do I prevent MIDI & Drifting Out?

k

so if you put in a STRAIGHT normal loop (drums) and copy that over and then does the sampler kik drift?... if NOT it's the rexfiles... um... what is the latency showing for your sw1000 in VST's system ?

Message 8/30             13-Feb-01  @  08:34 AM   -   RE: How do I prevent MIDI & Drifting Out?

tonyl

k,

yeah i was thinking of that. i'm gonna trigger a simple audio snare at the time as the sampler kick as see what happens.

re: latency. its 750ms. im running the latest MME driver from the yamaha website but i cant use ASIO. VST never releases the ASIO ports while its running & therefore wavelab cant access the ports(even with play in background disabled). shame. but then i dont do any real time stuff or use soft synths so as long as VST has profiled the card its ok for basic audio sequencing i reckon.

cheers, tone

Message 9/30             13-Feb-01  @  04:09 PM   -   RE: How do I prevent MIDI & Drifting Out?

k

fuck me !! - 750ms!!!.. thats normal onboard sound-device latency with win97 codec !! - in your SYNCRONISATION menu is the PRE-ROLL set to 750 ???

Message 10/30             13-Feb-01  @  04:11 PM   -   RE: How do I prevent MIDI & Drifting Out?

k

also who was it who said you need toi increase your 'amount of tracks' setting in audio/system to be high for playing back rexfiles ?.. have you tried that?.. putting the 'tracks' up to say 32?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)