aaa is a pentium 450 enough? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: is a pentium 450 enough?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/43             18-Nov-01  @  10:27 AM   -   is a pentium 450 enough?

bster

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

My pc is shit and i have been offered a 450 pentium with 500mb of ram and a 2 gig hard drive, i now i'll have to get a bigger hard drive and a sound card but will the 450 proccesor be enough for hard drive recording and editing of my sounds from my Supernova,JX-10,DX-100? (i'm not going to use any plug ins.
any help thanked
jaime

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/43             18-Nov-01  @  06:18 PM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

bedwyr

Link?: Link

in a word, yes. a 450 is quite capable of runnning some plugins too.

Message 3/43             19-Nov-01  @  01:53 AM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

Bit Crusher

Link?:  Link

I run a k6-2 400 which is notorious for not having enough floating point power. Its enough for midi and a few plugins though. You can use as many plugs as you want as long as they are processed offline. I can get at least 10 tracks of audio with a few plugins. Id take it!

Message 4/43             19-Nov-01  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

k

Link?:  Link

NO - I have a p3/450 and my 700 duron TOTALY slays it.. and i mean totaly. Go for an 800 and you'll get 3-4 times the amount of plugins than the p3/450 and way faster processing of files when editing etc, & they cost peanuts.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/43             19-Nov-01  @  09:23 AM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

bster

K when you say an 800 do you mean a Pentium, Celeron or an AMD?

Message 6/43             19-Nov-01  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

k

duron 800 or a duron 1000 even - i'm saying 'duron' as opposed to athalon due to the price range infered by him asking about a p3/450 which implies a cheap solution - if you are looking at the cheap end of the market, forget pentium/intel, durons are tokaly smokin'!!!

Message 7/43             19-Nov-01  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

bedwyr

bster, depends on how much your paying for this 450. if it's free or near enough, then maybe you can keep the box, monitor, graphics card etc. buy a new mobo, hd, processor, memory and be laughing. a mate just priced a athlon 1ghz with an 80g hd and one of those lurvly flat screens that k has got, all for £750 uk. nice! (onbard soundcard though, not for a music head ... still)

Message 8/43             19-Nov-01  @  05:24 PM     Edit: 19-Nov-01  |  05:26 PM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

dARKSTATe

'Nother frame of reference for ya.. I put my 1.4GHz Athlon, 512MBDDR, 64MB GeForce2Titanium, 2x40GB HDD, 40xCD, 40x16x10CDRW (Just the box only mind, already had a monitor, keys, mouse etc) together for £650... (Yep, even at "rip-off-Britain" prices if yer prepared to do a little leg work and build the thing yerself..)

Marc_D

Message 9/43             19-Nov-01  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

bster

I've only got £400, but i've got a monitor/mouse/keyboard and usb card, i dont know how much my mate wants for the 450 system yet but i'll get a 20 plus gig h/d and a cheap pro s-card like an echo mia to go with it. i might sell my JX-10 as it doesnt sound to good (in my opinion) and i havnt got the pg800 controller.

Message 10/43             20-Nov-01  @  09:12 AM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

dARKSTATe

Does the £400 include you buying the soundcard??

Coz £400 will get you quite a bit of *NEW* PC, if you've already got the monitor and bitz'n'pieces!!

The thing is, it doesn't always pay to mix'n'match new components on old systems.. for example, all the new harddrives are ATA100 ready, but when used on an older system thats only ATA33 you're losing a lot of the benefit of the newer technology... the same goes for memory as well...

Just take a little time out to think about it... if I can put together a much newer machine for £200 more, then you should be able to put together a decent machine with your budget..

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 43 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)