aaa Orion Vs. Reason - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Orion Vs. Reason

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/53             06-Dec-00  @  11:44 AM   -   Orion Vs. Reason

kaplan2

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hello All!
This time I wanna talk about the diffrences between Reason And Orion.
I bought Orion three months ago, when it was a baby, and now Orion grew to be a top-notch "all in one" virtual studio.
IMHO Orion is better than Reason.
The Synths are better, and you can produce more intersting themes\lines\basses with them.
After playing four days with Reason I can say that the Sub-Tractor synth is nice, but the wasp in orion is better.
I didn't like the sampler, because it doesn't support *.wav and Akai programs.
The oroin sampler at least supports wav's.
The new {orion 2.0 pro} has so many new features, which give Orion power that is equal to Hardware.
I will be gald if you will Write your Opinions, and talk about these wonderful new programs.
Happy Composing,
Fatal Virus
-----------------
Let's make some noise!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/53             08-Dec-00  @  01:18 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

mol8292

i guess you're a littlebit biased because you bought Orion ;)

Reason's sampler DOES import .WAV files btw.

Reason's performance is much better than Orion on my PC....but i've heard from other people the other way around....

i like the sound characteristics of Reason better than Orion...

the price of orion is much cheaper, and the fact that it supports DirectX and VST is a BIG pro over Reason...

i dont like the GUI of Orion, too cluttered, love the rack-interface of reason...

about the synth being worse/better: i think they all have great flexibility, it's just what you can do with them...

technology is just a tool...it's about what you can do with it..

Olaf

Message 3/53             25-Dec-00  @  10:26 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

JT

Yup.. I've made some great results with reason demo.. output all synths to independent outputs to get better mixing and fx. all in 24bit/96khz even.
I can't wait to get the full version. (hmm.. I got an ftp but have to wait to dl it at work since my modem connection suxx).. just dling the new orion have to check it out too 1.5 crashed alot..

Message 4/53             05-Jan-01  @  11:13 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

k

i got the reason demo - but it's on my old pc which i aint networked in yet (next week!!) - then we do a head to head test -

actually i'm setting up a demo ftp download area here for propellorheads, so when they is done they said they'll bung me a full copy - so we can review that

Message 5/53             11-Jan-01  @  02:31 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

qwerty

reason sucks (eats lot of CPU + 500MB factory bank )
better try new "fruity loops 3" (out this week - I hope)

Message 6/53             11-Jan-01  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

easy ed

I must admit, I'm not that impressed with Reason. It's a shame the demo times out before you can get into it, because from what it says on their homepage, about linking one module into another, ie using a drum module to control a filter or something, it sounds quite interesting. At least with Orion, you can always record some of the sounds from your soundcard and see what they sound like in a mix before you buy it. I managed to run the demo for a week without it crashing, which gives you a much better idea of it's capabilities than a 20 minute session.
Orion seems a lot easier to use as well.

Message 7/53             15-Jan-01  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

leslie

About querty's "Reason sucks" statement:

I'm sorry to be negative here, but chances are, if your current machine can't run Reason, and you can't afford to upgrade your CPU, then you probably can't afford Reason, either.

Secondly, what -exactly- is bad about having over 500MB of samples, loops, and patches to work with? Since when is this a negative thing?

Hey, Orion, Fruity, Buzz, or any other free/low cost application are great things. Power to the people and all that. However, a blanket statement like "Reason sucks" sounds uninformed.

7String

Message 8/53             16-Jan-01  @  08:00 AM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

volley

I've heard quite a lot about Reason; but is it something you're supposed to use as a stand alone app, or will it work well, say, slaved to Logic? (ReWire? MIDI sync?)

Message 9/53             17-Jan-01  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

m

... snip
Reason adapts to you

Use Reason the way you want to:

1.) As a self-contained synth studio system. Everything you need is there, including a fast and flexible sequencer with powerful, dedicated event editors for each type of device.
2.) Using ReWire, patched into and synched with your audio sequencer. Process Reason’s audio output with plug-in effects and mix it with your hard disk tracks. With Reason in ReWire mode, its instruments are automatically patched into the mixer in Cubase VST. Integration is seamless.
3.) As a virtual synth rack with your MIDI sequencer. Reason’s devices can be handled in exactly the same way as hardware.
... snip

Check it out at:
http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/frame.html

Message 10/53             18-Jan-01  @  01:36 AM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

D

Reason is a lot better quality wise, that's all i can say.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 53 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)