aaa hard dicsk - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: hard dicsk

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/58             03-Feb-02  @  10:27 PM   -   hard dicsk

mark

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have run out of space on my 20 gig drive so was thinking of adding an extra 40 gig (IDE) onto it. i know a bit about these things but need to hear others opinions.

Is 7,200 rpm the fastest speed you can get? if not where can i buy a faster one

i cant go wrong with 8.5 ms access time ..right?

2 meg cache is ample?

have you heared of this barrocuda seagate beast? is it worth spending the extra? what would the advantages be over my spec above?

Do you know anywhere online (UK) i can get really cheap deals apart from scan.co.uk or ebuyer.com ??

am i asking too many questions?

Thanks, Mark

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/58             04-Feb-02  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

onemind

I saw a harddrive in some mag that was 15,000 rpm with an access time of less then 6.0 seconds no shit. I think it is cald a "Cheeta" or something...and no, questions are good;)

Message 3/58             04-Feb-02  @  01:30 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Si

Link?: Link

Go to www.dabs.com I bought two IBM 30Gb 7200rpm drives almost a year ago for around £100 each. They're fast and very reliable.

From what I've heard, there are plans for a 10,000rpm IDE drive, but anything at that speed or higher is generally only attainable with SCSI, and you're talking huge money.

Si.

Message 4/58             04-Feb-02  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

99devils

7200 RPM is plenty fast for IDE drives. SCSI drives offer no advantage to IDE drives for our purposes.. Check out the Maxtor DiamondMax 7200RPM models, or the IBM drives. Look for ATA-100 or higher, and 7200 RPM.

There are SCSI drives with higher rotational speeds than 7200 (15k I think is the fastest). However, RPMs don't necessarily equal speed..

-Craig

Message 5/58             26-May-02  @  11:12 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Okay - this looks like a thread in my direction. My WestDig drive is getting lots of bad sectors, and is out of warranty. So I need to get a couple of new ones. I have an Ultrawide SCSI HD now - 9gb, 7400rpm (I think) - and I'm not sure I want to spend the money on getting a fast SCSI drive. I see lots of specials on big drives from Staples and Office Max (US stores) and I wonder if they are good enough for what we do. I have Win98 running on a homegrown machine - pIII667mhz, 256ram, Abit BEII board (has raid capability) and an Intel chipset. I was thinking that 2 20gb hds would be fine. I am thinking IDE, as well, and get rid of the SCSI drive altogether.

Is that a good direction to go? Will a Maxtor be fine? I would prefer to get something in box because of the problems I had getting cheap equipment from Pricewatch (I know its not them, but that's how I found the scummy dealer - Krex.com). Any suggestions?

Message 6/58             27-May-02  @  01:36 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Si

You could go with the latest Seagate Barracuda drives - they're fast and apparently very quiet. I recently picked up a Western Digital 120Gb drive with 8Mb cache which is nice, though not exactly the quietest drive I've used. According to Toms Hardware, it matches some 10k SCSI drives for performance!!

If you're looking at the smaller drives I'd probably go for the Barracuda's. I'd stay away from IBM 75GXP drives - I've had one 30Gb drive die on me, and I know I'm not the only one.

Si.

Message 7/58             28-May-02  @  06:40 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

99devils

Darin, Check out pricewatch.com.. I got a 60gb Maxtor UDMA133 7200rpm IDE drive for about $95 shipped.

It's worked perfectly so far.

Message 8/58             28-May-02  @  10:04 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

99devils

OK, so I should apparently read everything first  

I'll find out where I got mine when I get home. I have the receipt somewhere.

-Craig

Message 9/58             28-May-02  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

I'd prefer to stay away from Pricewatch as far as sourcing goes. I'ld prefer to buy locally. Cheap is great as long as you get good stuff. When I built my computer, I ended up getting crap from a couple of dealers adn I don't want to do that again. If I pay $10 more for something around here, that's fine with me. So your Maxtor is treating you well?

Message 10/58             28-May-02  @  11:15 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

damballah

mine all are. have 3. it isn't 10 bucks though. I had an emergency and ran out to CompUSA. paid more for a 20 gig 5400 rpm one than I did for a 40 gig 7200 rpm one from newegg. emergencies are like that though.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 58 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)