aaa Please, Please help! NRPNs? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Please, Please help! NRPNs?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/19             03-Jul-02  @  06:45 PM     Edit: 03-Jul-02  |  06:52 PM   -   Please, Please help! NRPNs?

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am trying like crazy to get my head around the Envrionment. But I am struggling. I am not very familiar with MIDI but would like to know if I can set up a single fader to send a particular NRPN message. For example, I have a synth which receives the filter cut-off messages on:

NRPN MSB(Hex) 06

NRPN LSB(Hex) 48

Data Entry(MSB)(Dec) 0~127

Trying to learn this MIDI stuff is really starting to make me feel quite stupid. And the Logic Manual is giving me a real headache.

Any chance somebody could get me started on how best to send these messages from a fader in Logic, if possible?

Thankyou soooo much for any advice that you can lend.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/19             03-Jul-02  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: Please, Please help! NRPNs?

beds

Link?:  Link

hi steve,

what's the synth? doesn't it just accept them as controller numbers? 71 for cutoff or whatever it usually is? never heard of nrpn things. logic 5 is it?

Message 3/19             03-Jul-02  @  07:03 PM   -   RE: Please, Please help! NRPNs?

Steve Roughley

Cheers for the reply! I'm using Logic 5 Platinum. NRPN is Non Registered Parameter Number. It is a MIDI standard that allows instrument developers to assign MIDI channels to their own instruments functions. Common functions like Volume, Pitchbend, etc are Registered Parameter Numbers (RPN) but the more esoteric functions of an instrument are usually NRPN.

I just can't figure out how to send them from Logic is all!

Steve.

Message 4/19             03-Jul-02  @  07:10 PM   -   RE: Please, Please help! NRPNs?

b

i'll have a look mate. filter cutoff is esoteric? fkn ell!  

Message 5/19             03-Jul-02  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: Please, Please help! NRPNs?

b

you know you could probably find an environment thing for your synth on the net. someone might have saved you the trouble.

Message 6/19             03-Jul-02  @  07:48 PM   -   RE: Please, Please help! NRPNs?

milan

Link?: Link

what synth is it anyway? mebbe just grab a synth enviroment, open it up, and see how its done.

Message 7/19             03-Jul-02  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: Please, Please help! NRPNs?

k

File?:  [image]

[image file]

first you create a fader and drag the cable so it links to your synth INSTRUMENT OBJECT which will route it to the required port etc (it's this object you select on the arrange-page track headers as the destination for the track) - If you tick parameters box below the fader title, the you can select the fader in arrange page track as destination

ok set it's OUT (default = control) - to SYSEX... the sysex editor opens (you can open it again by double-clicking on the 'SYSEX' title you selected back on the environment page.

once in the sysex editor ruight click the sysex or 0001 buttosn to ip[ut sysex, from there you have to know the string to input, this is NOT my department at all, I rarely use sysyex  
best bet would be to record some of the fader sysex to a midi track, go into edit & check it in your sysex edit in logic... see what the string is... copy & paste it to the fader sysex list mebbe?

as I say, that's how to get there, but i dont speak sysex meself  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/19             03-Jul-02  @  08:28 PM   -   RE: Please, Please help! NRPNs?

k

[image file]

rename the fader after creating & tick the checkbox next to it - then you'll be able to select it in arrange page track headers as a possible assignment for a track output/record... use the auto-define or mix automation in logic 5 to edit in place

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/19             03-Jul-02  @  08:30 PM   -   RE: Please, Please help! NRPNs?

k

[image file]

click on the CONTROL next to 'OUT' to select the type of OUT(put) for the fader... choose sysex & editor opens. double click on this SYSEX title to re-open the sysex editor.

Message 10/19             03-Jul-02  @  08:41 PM     Edit: 03-Jul-02  |  08:42 PM   -   RE: Please, Please help! NRPNs?

k

actualy it might not be the sysex or 0001 buttons in the sysex editor, the control button (right of the two fader icon) can also add msb/lsb.. as I say you have to know how to input the data, I dont do this department  

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)