aaa cheap 2ghz music PC - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: cheap 2ghz music PC

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/21             20-Jul-02  @  05:37 PM   -   cheap 2ghz music PC

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

right lets do it - i just got ALL the parts for less than 400 quid inc' 1/2gig of pc2700 ddr ram

I deliberately DIDN'T buy echte-zuper parts, just a solid Asus board & xp2000 chip - but that included a nice fast 40gb ata133 7200 drive... the rest was cheap generic parts, LG cdrom, basic mouse, keys, floppy & case

I think while a 'pro-rec' £2 grand pc's are just fine, many people want to see the results of a CHEAP build!

So I bought a nice fuji dig' camera too so as to photo-document the build

also went for the KT333 chipset cos many users also probably want to know how that works out.

So let's see how it goes!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/21             20-Jul-02  @  06:23 PM   -   RE: cheap 2ghz music PC

beds

what's the point of the 333 bit then? is it gonna make a big difference for the audio nonsense?

Message 3/21             20-Jul-02  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: cheap 2ghz music PC

k

Link?: Link

check it

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/21             20-Jul-02  @  08:46 PM     Edit: 20-Jul-02  |  08:51 PM   -   RE: cheap 2ghz music PC

k

File?:  [image]

[image file]

well, that's what you get at cheap prices - sure yes you can add a real MS mouse (probably better) and a cdr/w instead of a cdrom for another 20 quid, and a better keyboard & certainly a nicer case, plus add another 80-100 quid for a quiet power supply and fankit.... and of course a screen, but i figured all people would have a screen and if not the choice for how it costs is up to the user. This is the 'cheap core system' experiment build!

Mainly i get it to investigate the kt333 chipset, and to see what a cheap build could yeild spec-wise... The old Dt test pc is way over the hill... SONAR2 is arriving soon for review and Kontakt is waiting in the wings too!!... so I figured to do them justice its goinna need a faster box (especialy to try sonar2 wdm lowlatency with any reasonable loading).... also I'm interested how SONAR goes on a cheap generic machine like this... because sure anyone can spec out a list of 'prime' components, but what about on a budget PC of common ilk!... let's see!

Message 5/21             20-Jul-02  @  08:57 PM   -   RE: cheap 2ghz music PC

k

File?:  [image]

[image file]

drooooooooooool!

Message 6/21             22-Jul-02  @  02:51 PM   -   RE: cheap 2ghz music PC

99devils

Cheap machine like this...

Compared to my Athlon 700 it should go like stink  

-Craig

Message 7/21             23-Jul-02  @  03:14 AM   -   RE: cheap 2ghz music PC

k

Link?:  No link

bloody hell!!!!!!!... it is fast.. wether it'll work with the hoontech & graphic's card combi remains to be seen but I added 98 to it and the set was like 10 minutes! *ulp*

Message 8/21             24-Jul-02  @  02:29 AM   -   RE: cheap 2ghz music PC

mikec

When you say "£400", is that including or excluding VAT.

You could save yourself the bother (in the UK) and go to www.novatech.co.uk.

Very cheap.

MikeC

Message 9/21             24-Jul-02  @  01:52 PM   -   RE: cheap 2ghz music PC

k

inc VAT - ok the build went ok, but sadly I think I've got a bad componant or else my OS disks have died since the last time they were used (a year + ago) - I can't setup any of my 2 OS disks... we're having one last go today with a freinds 98 disk just to check... if that fails then it's one of the hardware components - shit!!! - I would add tho that this would be the first time in 8 years i bought a faulty component so it had to happen sooner or later - but.... sheeeeeee-ite!!

the good news is tho, we got the CNN job! - so this machine will be used to do that so it'll be all running by next week... it has to cos the CNN deadline is quite harsh! -

Now, what happens buying parts like this which might be faulty?.. we'll I take the built machine back to the guys I bought the parts from and they will (starting with the ram), go thru switching the components and initiating the OS setup each time until we find the faulty part... time consuming to drive out with the unit to their shop, but it has to be done....

Anyways, don't let that put you off at all building one on the cheap like this, as I say, I never had a faulty part before, and everyone get's a failure sometime even with built-&-ready to go machines... + it could be alot worse, it could be a failed drive with important data...

Message 10/21             24-Jul-02  @  01:58 PM   -   RE: cheap 2ghz music PC

k

Well Mike - the difference this way is:

Novatek PC - £645.08 Inc Vat

Processor:
AMD Athlon XP 2000+

Memory:
256MB PC2100 DDR RAM

Hard Drive:
60GB 7200RPM HDD

Graphics:
64MB GeForce3

Ti200 Graphics

Drive 1:
40x12x40 CD Writer

Drive 2:
16x DVD-ROM Drive

Modem:
56K Modem

My built PC - My price: £390 INC VAT

Processor:
AMD Athlon XP 2000+

Memory:
512MB PC2700 DDR RAM

Hard Drive:
40GB 7200RPM HDD (133 ATA)

Graphics:
32MB GeForce3

Drive 1:
52X CDROM

So... My home built PC has more ram, faster drive but no CDRW or modem - BUT , I could have added a CDR for another 20 quid & modem for 20 quid

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)