aaa dual-monitor setups - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: dual-monitor setups

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11             02-Aug-01  @  02:57 PM   -   dual-monitor setups

steve

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

can anyone fill me in here on whats required to get this going and how I`d go about seperating what I want onto different screens?

I`m being given a 15" monitor soon so I thought it would be nice to have one monitor above my desk and efx for displaying logics mixer + plugins and then keep this one by the smapler for the midi saide of things, kinda like a mini programming suite.

So is this possible? Win98 (not se), logic silver 4.7

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             02-Aug-01  @  02:58 PM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

steve

sorry, and a crappy agp videcard built in to my mobo if thats relevant at all.

Message 3/11             02-Aug-01  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

99devils

If you're talking about a true dual-head setup, where you run both monitors simultaneously and independently, then you'll need a new video card. You'd have to disable the one on your mobo.. It does have an AGP slot to expand with, right?

ATI Radeon VE, Matrox G400/G450 dual head, and there's an nVidia card. You'll need one of those, I think they go for between $75 and $150 US. Software will be included.

Otherwise, if you just wanna switch 'em off 1 at a time, there's boxes to do that (select between different keyboards and monitors).

-Craig

Message 4/11             02-Aug-01  @  08:38 PM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

steve

aw, fuck - no agp slot, not even any chance of a spare pci or isa on this pile of shit  

Cheers for your help anyway Craig, its appreciated.

Message 5/11             05-Aug-01  @  04:01 AM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

yams

Link?:  No link

It probably never allowed it anyway. Some motherboards will not allow a dual monitor setup. I have a setup (or used to before the big crash) with a ASUS mobo with a pci voodoo3000 and an agp ati radeon. I tried to use the voodoo with a cheap video card but the system didn't allow it.

Message 6/11             06-Aug-01  @  01:42 AM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

BJT

Yams is it the mobo causing it or is the PCI video card hogging the PCI Bus,
I remember that alot of the old PCI video cards won't work with another
video card for this reason.

Message 7/11             06-Aug-01  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

yams

Probably, I never was able to get 2 pci cards working together but thats probable because of the one crappy one. Some mobo's will tell you straight up in bios that it does not support 2 video cards.

Message 8/11             06-Aug-01  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

99devils

Well, the machines really aren't set up to handle 2 video cards at once, I don't think. I have no experience with that.. You're probably right, it's a motherboard thing. You may want to take a second look now though. What I'm talking about are single cards with the ability to drive 2 monitors from one card.

-Craig

Message 9/11             06-Aug-01  @  04:55 PM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

PointBeing

mine worked just fine, i used the onboard video (shit agp stuff, like yours, without an agp slot) and a voodoo3 2000, except i was using win2k, so i cant make any garauntees about quality. Pick up a voodoo3 2000 for cheap and give it a go. and i was using two 17" monitors :0)

aaron

Message 10/11             11-Aug-01  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

steve

thanks, but I have no free slots of any kind  

I`ll refer back to this thread once I`m finally able to dump this piece of crap for something that actually works properly and stuff, ta.

Message 11/11             11-Aug-01  @  03:01 PM   -   RE: dual-monitor setups

k

qwell I was down the fair today... samsung 15" LCD flats with 3 year onsite replace warranty at 350 quid each inc VAT!!!!!!! matrox dual head's at 60-quid - ras!!!...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)