aaa Spastic Drum and Bass - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Spastic Drum and Bass

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             06-Feb-02  @  03:29 AM   -   Spastic Drum and Bass

DrakesEq

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

ok...so i used to be on here as 12strings..but i changed the name. Anyway, i new into making electronic music, and i enjoy spastic/sparatic drum and bass (ex squarepusher's go plastic! and t he newest aphex twin). it's hard for me however to make good melodies and synth parts. any really good synths out there to create bleeps and long drawn out notes?
also...anyone have any suggestions on other spastic d & b artists and places where i can hear them or get mp3s??? thanks a lot~
DrakesEq

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             06-Feb-02  @  04:05 AM   -   RE: Spastic Drum and Bass

aaron

do you have a sampler? if so then just go get stomper (its free) and get down with your bad self! its "tops" for bleeps and the like. long drawn out sounds? time streatch "normal" sounds and mutilate them. get creative.

about melodies. um, jsut confine yourself to like 5 notes, any 5 notes will do, and fiddle around with different orders and rythyms. you'll start to "hear" what note "wants" to come next

Message 3/12             06-Feb-02  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: Spastic Drum and Bass

DrakesEq maynard_fts

I use orion, and i'll try to download stomper. do you know any sites where i can download it from? Thanks a lot man. I think that the problem with my melodies was that i was trying to use a lot of different notes, and chords and stuff. I'll try all of the time stretching stuff out. Thanks Aaron. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Also to anyone else with input and/or information on other spastic drum and bass producers is very much welcome. Thanks again
DrakesEq

Message 4/12             06-Feb-02  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: Spastic Drum and Bass

99devils

Link?: Link

Perhaps get into a little bit of music theory, like how chords are built and how they fit into keys, and what scales can be used to make melodies given a certain chord progression.

Theory isn't a "bible" for making music, but it can help point you in the right direction. Don't be afraid to experiment, but also keep in mind the "guidelines" that theory gives you.

-Craig

Message 5/12             07-Feb-02  @  02:20 AM   -   RE: Spastic Drum and Bass

espoo2

Hmmmm....

Maybe check out Autechre and Mu-Ziq... Venetian Snares.... I think the term you may be looking for is "drill n' bass", instead of spastic... They sometimes lump those artist into that genre....

Try this: Make some interesting rhythms, go into another room, read a book or something, while the rhythms are playing... If you relax, you may find a melody or tone popping into your head by itself. It works best when you arent necessarily LOOKING for it... Must be approached in a somewhat Taoist manner, I suppose.

Also, dont get too hung up on trying to create "spastic" rhythms... If you notice, when listening to squarepusher or aphex, most of the time there is a definite underlying pattern, which they with.... So try making a rhythm (not necessarily a NORMAL rhythm, mind you, just fairly simple) and then have a go at ing it up, playing with it, playing with the expectations the rhythm gives the listener...

Message 6/12             07-Feb-02  @  05:10 AM   -   RE: Spastic Drum and Bass

damballah

try the link for stomper

Message 7/12             07-Feb-02  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: Spastic Drum and Bass

knowa

Link?:  Link

maybe try to write something easy to follow at first, and then "spaz it up" by chopping, reversing, detuning, and mutilating with efx. when in doubt, use ring mod and scream "I will eat your soul."

Message 8/12             07-Feb-02  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: Spastic Drum and Bass

espoo2

:-)

Watched that video for the first time in a while a
few days ago....
Ahh.... the taunting of the elderly is so
refreshin

Message 9/12             08-Feb-02  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: Spastic Drum and Bass

damballah

keep in mind also that squarepusher can play bass and program stuff like one badass mofo and it's something that's taken him decades of dedicated work. there's no quick way to get there. the thing about the theory shit, if you're gonna go that route, is you have to so thoroughly absorb it in order to forget it. it's like Matisse or Picasso, who could draw and paint like nobody's business, but they worked beyond that to the point where they could paint like children again.

Message 10/12             08-Feb-02  @  06:42 PM   -   RE: Spastic Drum and Bass

knowa

Link?:  Link

word up listen to damballah. playing/programming 'outside' usually only sounds good when you know what's going on 'inside'. it ain't random. btw I don't really know whats going on inside or outside, but I do know that you can set your midi controller such that every song is in the key of C.

Message 11/12             12-Feb-02  @  02:15 AM   -   RE: Spastic Drum and Bass

DrakesEq

Thank;s everyone. I actually play guitar and bass, amoung other instruments. And I also have a pretty good knowledge of musical theory. But I do also understand that it takes a lot of time to be as good as squarepusher. I also downloaded some Venetian Snares stuff. It's really good, but I'm looking for something that's a little less harsh, but along the same lines...if that makes any sense. Any suggestions regarding any of the above mentioned things are still greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
- DrakesEq

Message 12/12             12-Feb-02  @  03:04 AM   -   RE: Spastic Drum and Bass

espoo2

Yeah, that Vsnares is pretty harsh.... but interesting... most of it is in 3/4 time....

Did you try the others I mentioned? Those are prolly more along your lines.

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)