aaa Simple Solution? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Simple Solution?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 10-Mar-01  @  02:11 PM   -   Simple Solution?

Calamitus69

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

What's up people. I've been all over this internet looking for info that will lead me to the right soundcard purchase. To be frank... GODDAMN my head is spinning! Since my needs are pretty basic, I was originally sold on the sblive with the aps drivers... then I realize that it only has 1/8" jacks for analog outs? Am I missing something or is that right? That seems pretty lame and unreliable for a piece of equipment that you will want to use for the long haul, right? Well... here's where I'm at. I'm into breakbeat musics of all sorts, and my style combines sampled loops, programmed drums, synth parts.. sampled acoustic instruments, some vocals, etc.. standard I guess. All I want to do is devise a system that works for me, so that I can sequence all this stuff using midi, either a software sequencer, my rm1x, or a combination of the two... send each part to it's own channel in an analog mixer, that's important, as I am not into mixing and eq'ing within the digital domain AT ALL, and then send the master out to a recorder. What I want the soundcard for is recording things like vocals, instruments, etc.. and monitoring during sample editing, softsynth programming, and a midi interface between controllers and my computer. Originally I wanted to use a multi out card with a softsampler, or soundfonts to replace a real hardware sampler, but that gets so confusing and I'm afraid I'll spend more time worrying about my damned gear than I will making music. So, I guess what I want to know is.. should I just get something simple and cheap like a sblive or emu aps for those basic needs, and then go ahead and get a rocking sampler for the actual audio output of my samples, along with synths, or whatever modules I might decide to get? Or is there some reason I would benefit from acquiring a really dope soundcard that can basically do everything? Remember, I am looking for simplicity here. I want to get my setup running, and not have to think about it, so I can concentrate on writing, and nothing else. Thanks in advance, you guys are a bunch of gurus, I swear.  

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/12             15-Mar-01  @  06:23 PM   -   RE: Simple Solution?

k

i'd look at creamware for the sampler etc combined with audio i/o, the new creamware stuff integrates right into vst (fx & instuments apear at the vst selectors just like s/w fx & instruments etc) and it loads sample disc's direct from cdrom for akai etc and has synths too but cost more than a standard audio i/o card cos of all th4e extra dsp fx & synths/sampler etc it can load...

also midiman audiophile is very good as a simple but very effective i/o & midi card with low latency and crisp clear sound.. (it also comes with dig' s/pdif i/o too which may come in useful in the future and it is VERY cheap, also has asio2 & easi drivers etc -

also regardless of soundcard, Native Instruments new range offers a sampler s/w that loads again from a variety of format cdroms including akai... um.. so does the new oasys revision s/w (but quite expensive)... logic5's new sampler will load cdrom patchges from akai etc too i beleive (due sept) so there are many options to achive a 'sampler on the pc' wether you go dsp or not depends on really how busy you expect the sampler to be... s/w samplers use system ram and like on Reason etc they play fine... but a dsp based card would offer less stress for large amounts of sample processing perhaps... i think the Orion new version sampler loads and plays soundfonts and more... try the demo's...

but the cheapest solid prestine audio card WITH midi i/o AND solid RCA phono gold-plated connectors i know is audiophile from midiman...130 quid or so which is ludicrously cheap for the quality and features (proper pro spec' s/pdif included)

oh.... www.linplug.com - i beleive also do a sampler that possibly loads sounds from cd like soundfonts etc - i have to review their range soon so i cant be accurate on the format's it does play/load, but check their site cos Peter's s/w's (the designer) are so well done of the ones i've tried they have to be looked at at least - superb software and so well layed out and cool looking... and they are very affordable at around 60 bucks per item for the bigger softs.

Message 12/12             03-Apr-01  @  10:31 AM   -   RE: Simple Solution?

BJT

I have used my mates SBLive and the noise sound level wasn't
bad - but it seemed to 'peak out' very easily - the incoming
signal would hit the roof and digitally distort and no amount of fiddling
fixed it.

Also took 'life' out of the sound, we were running vinyl through it.

Post us how you go 'cause I've given my old computer to my sister and have
to put a new one together etc..., and I have to make similar decisions,
plus I have a very similar setup to your current setup.

Cheers,

-BJT

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)