aaa Hmmmm.... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Hmmmm....

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13             28-Jun-01  @  12:05 PM   -   Hmmmm....

Grand Puba Maximus

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

OK, I'm lookin at setting up a prodominately VST-driven studio on my PC. Except for the sequencer (which will be SONAR or Cubase), I would like most of the sampling, synthesis and effects to be VST driven. I will be producing mainly Trance and would like to create all those cool electro-synth wah-wah thump-thump phatt momma trance-inducing kinda sounds you hear in the pro stuff.

For this I need a really cool synth and a really cool sampler - the kind that is so dripping with features that you never end up using them all. I haven't had much experience in the VST side of things so I don't know whether I'm better off using a VSTi synth/sampler or the non-VST types such as GigaSampler, etc.
I'm looking for a synth that will provide a variety of sounds with heaps of features and a big fat price tag.

Can anybody help out

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             28-Jun-01  @  06:38 PM   -   RE: Hmmmm....

moujik

Link?:  Link

there were a couple of threads in the newbie forum about hardcore s/ware sampling & synthesis.

Message 3/13             29-Jun-01  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: Hmmmm....

damballah

Link?: Link

you might wanna start by trying out some of the free and cheap samplers/drum samplers to see if you really need something like gigasampler or not. there's a bunch of 'em out there. synthwise, k thinks that muon electron is pretty damn hot for trance (and it ain't expensive at all). don't go into it thinking you need to shell out big bucks. you can if you want to. but you don't gotta.

Message 4/13             29-Jun-01  @  04:33 AM   -   RE: Hmmmm....

damballah

some idiot forgot to close his italics tag

Message 5/13             29-Jun-01  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: Hmmmm....

k

um... well I like that vstsampler alot and it has excellent synthesis ability... yes i'm turned onto Muon Electron now and it ROCKS!!... really those two should get you going pretty well, BUt if you are looking at the sampler for drums and NOT to create sampled mapped sounds then look at Battery cos it truly rocks (maaaaaan!)... anyways either VSTsampler or Battery and Muon Electron will be plenty to get you going... there are other choices of course for unique sounds... best of course is to try demo's... i wouldnt bother with the ppg for trance, but try the pro-52 demo, tassman mebbe?.. it's filters are nice, quite a heavey synth on the cpu tho.. and of course Reaktor the DON synth s/w, available as a VST install but also quite heavey as would be expected from such a hugely powerful synthethis machine.... Absynth also from NI is TOTALY wild, but is mac only right now, um, Linplugs GakStoar is good, as is their percussion synth the Roangine - checkout their site for other goodies and remember the RMF freeware drumbox is very good, not Battery, but excellent for nowt!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/13             29-Jun-01  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: Hmmmm....

damballah

Message 7/13             01-Jul-01  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: Hmmmm....

aaron

am i the only one that thinks halion is the shit? it rox your box...

but really, it's damn good, better than the exs and orion's built in shiznit... its v. cool

aaron

Message 8/13             02-Jul-01  @  04:09 AM   -   RE: Hmmmm....

damballah

maybe. but is it necessary? worth the cash?

Message 9/13             02-Jul-01  @  05:45 AM   -   RE: Hmmmm....

aaron

i have hella sf2's , wavs and other shit, and i dunno, it is a lot more intuitive, for me, than the exs or any other sampler software that ive used.. and you can have many programs on different channels, using just one "instance" of it. its very cool. i like it, if you dont already have a sampler, id say its a must

Message 10/13             02-Jul-01  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: Hmmmm....

Jasper

I bought that vsampler about 3 weeks ago, then that guy posts up the free sampler link.. bloody typical  

Still downloaded it, and vsampler is great, a bit rough round the edges though.

Message 11/13             03-Jul-01  @  10:38 AM   -   RE: Hmmmm....

Brett B

Link?:  Link

why not just get Reason until you get good at sequencing then get a muti-track like cubase if you have external gear later. Reason would keep a newbie and a seasoned music guru busy for a while. Samplers , drums, and synths are all there.

Message 12/13             04-Jul-01  @  11:36 PM   -   RE: Hmmmm....

k

true it's probably the best value for virtual instruments as you get everything you need in one for alot less than buying things individualy as long as you can rewire it if you need audio tracks (logic/VST) but if not the sequencer is ok.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/13             09-Jul-01  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: Hmmmm....

SLV

there will be a Vsampler 3.0 sometime and it sounds like it'll be a lot more streamlined with the synth section as a seperate VSTi, the VX7 which looks interesting and is a free download beta version at the speedsoft site now.

I tried out halion a little and i quite like the interface, but i couldnt believe there wasnt even any way of previewing samples before loading them. wierd

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)