aaa to buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

10-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: to buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13             05-Feb-01  @  06:11 AM   -   To buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop

jere doll

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I am looking to but the new g4 500 mhz laptop but I need a little encouragement or discouragement.Any comments?I am looking to do purely audio some graphics.Mainly logic and some digital editing.Thanks-Jere doll

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             15-Feb-01  @  08:40 AM   -   RE: to buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop

Soreyes

Link?:  No link

No experience with Logic on a Portable Mac. Heard that it works fine. But prepare to sacrifice performance though. Logic running on a lappy will never be equivalent to a desktop. Also, there is the audio interface issue. Though the future looks promising(annoucements of Firewire interfaces at NAMM), none of these have been released yet. Finally, there is the screen issue. Persnally, I feel that using 1024x768 res can be a little bothersome. Especially when it comes to working with really small icons. Tried Reason on a lappy with 1024x768 res. Couldn't use the Matrix Sequencer. Too bloody small! Drop res. But as with LCD screens, you get horrible, patchy graphics. Ugh! No way I can work with that either! Also there is the problem of dead pixels. But I think that shouldn't be a problem given Apple's excellent quality products.

Message 3/13             17-Feb-01  @  06:06 AM   -   RE: to buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop

lofreq

IMHO i would not buy a computer from a companay that is in such poor shape finacially. Apple has had some rough times as of late, and ya never know how long their gonna be around. I would just break down and buy a PC. The availible software alone make PC worth it to me.

Message 4/13             19-Feb-01  @  05:09 AM   -   RE: to buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop

doom-cough

i just sold my IMAC to my boss = ultimate revenge! he is a devout mac person? it locked up all the time! i just started a class action law suit against apple a few months ago. something about built in design flaws, i think? like why is there an open -close button on the CD-rom drawer if you need to ask the computer to open the cd-rom drawer anyways

Message 5/13             20-Feb-01  @  05:29 AM   -   RE: to buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop

dude

Well. It doesn't matter if Apple is in bad shape financially or if there are "flaws" here and there. In my opinion, whether it is a Mac or a PC, both has its fair share of problems. Most important, you must be comfortable with what you use. You may have the latest G4 sitting there right in front of you but if you don't know how to use it, it is a white elephant to you ain't it?

Message 6/13             21-Feb-01  @  03:03 AM   -   RE: to buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop

rompro

I believe the G4 laptop runs at a
resolution over 1024x768, since the
screen is over 15". Also, emagic is
releasing a USB audio interface, so
on-the-go audio and MIDI work
should be a reality.

Plus, you'll have the coolest laptop
on the planet.

Message 7/13             21-Feb-01  @  08:31 AM   -   RE: to buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop

lofreq

I would hardly call it the coolest laptop on the planet. Check out sony's new notebooks, incredible. but thats just my opinion.

Message 8/13             22-Feb-01  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: to buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop

rompro

Sony's laptops can't run MacOS X.

So there.

Message 9/13             23-Feb-01  @  05:54 AM   -   RE: to buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop

dude

OSX? Yeah, cool OS. But thing is, all current music software run on it? No point upgrading if my audio programs can't run under it.

Message 10/13             23-Feb-01  @  05:56 AM   -   RE: to buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop

jere doll

Rompro- Do honestly think that it is worth the $3500us? jere_DOll

Message 11/13             23-Feb-01  @  05:58 AM   -   RE: to buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop

jere doll

Well the sofware does not matter at this point you can have them run on "classic" which runs inside of os x.

Message 12/13             23-Feb-01  @  06:03 AM   -   RE: to buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop

dude

I've heard that not all software work under the classic mode. Best to check it out before commiting your system to OS X.

Message 13/13             23-Feb-01  @  06:18 AM   -   RE: to buy g4 laptop or not buy g4 laptop

Jere Doll

I hear that.I would not have os x loaded for a couple months untill the bugs get kinked out.

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)