aaa which ms os? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: which ms os?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 08-Feb-02  @  05:05 AM   -   which ms os?

p.

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

right, so i got my lappy picked out. i get a choice of win 2000 or xp (98 not an option for myriad reasons). two factors i'm most cencerned with - stability and overhead. i've heard a bunch of positive comments on 2000 running on laptops, and positive reviews of xp in general, but i'm concerned i won't be able to trim the latter down enough, that is, xp might chew up all my ram. which of the two os can i really trim? and how stable are each of them prospectively based on your experience (especially if you use logic)?

craig, i know you gave a positive review of xp so perhaps you have some advice.

my specs:
1.13 ghz p3
512 ram pc-133

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/13             09-Feb-02  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: which ms os?

influx

Link?:  Link

I dont think that anyone makes ata100 drives for laptops, do they? and theyre usually 5400RPM or so, no?

Uberzone uses a laptop with reason and cubase for messin around on the road and he can get lots of tracks

inspiron 8100 I believe

Message 12/13             09-Feb-02  @  10:25 PM   -   RE: which ms os?

toast

Link?:  No link

There are a lot of ata100 (not ultra ata) drives for laptops but most are only 4500rpm. There's a couple 5400rpm drives out there but there a lot less common. If you want specs try doing a search for laptop hard drives instead of looking for info from the maker of the laptop. Most of the places selling hard drives will give you transfer rate, speed etc.

Message 13/13             18-Feb-02  @  06:45 PM   -   RE: which ms os?

99devils

Link?: Link

Most of the Dells and Gateways and the like use hard drives from other manufacturers like IBM. You may want to check with the manufacturers of OEM laptop drives for specs.

-Craig

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)