aaa IBM build worlds fastest computer - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: IBM build worlds fastest computer

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 22-Dec-01  @  02:43 AM   -   IBM build worlds fastest computer

k

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

ARMONK (New York) - International Business Machines (IBM) has won a contract to build a supercomputer nearly twice as powerful as the top machine in use today. A European consortium will use it to forecast the weather.

The largest computer maker will use about 100 of its latest high-performance server computers, the p690, to build a machine capable of more than 20 trillion calculations per second, IBM spokesman John Buscemi said.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/13             24-Dec-01  @  11:22 AM   -   RE: IBM build worlds fastest computer

xoxos

Link?: Link

hell hath no fury like a disaffected hyperspook..

Message 12/13             24-Dec-01  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: IBM build worlds fastest computer

99devils

Link?: Link

When I was interviewing for jobs out of college I was offered a position at a company developing a project for the Air Force and Army. The AF and army play war games against each other. This system tracked up to hundreds of tanks and planes, and their weapon status, in real-time. You could actually pick a plane off of a screen and see what the pilot was seeing, in real time. The system knew who was dead and who was alive, etc..

Coolest thing. But I decided I didn't want to work at a job that might require me to code a system capable of being used to kill people. So I got this job at the University I'm at now.

-Craig

Message 13/13             04-Jan-02  @  10:29 PM   -   RE: IBM build worlds fastest computer

k

Link?:  No link

apparently the USA military is to release a series of video games based on training s/w they have developed.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)